Thread: Animal Reactions

Animal Reactions

Namaste all,

I saw a quote on Facebook recently that had me thinking about something specific:

Once you become a good human...the birds flying in the sky will land on your shoulders. Birds love the harmless souls.
    I didn't take this quote to heart or anything - I'm sure there are good people in this world who don't have birds randomly land on them for whatever reason - but it did get me thinking as to whether or not one's karmic or dharmic disposition affects how animals react to someone.

Is there any precedent in Hinduism as to how animals would react towards you if you have certain karma?

Re: Animal Reactions

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

This is the fruit of ahisā we know as non-injury.

Three views are offered
    Version 1
    By establishing a firm alignment (pratishayam) in ahimsa (non-violence or non-harm), then that presence (samnidhau) will leave behind (tyagah) harm (or hostility) and disease (vaira).

Version 2
    As the yogin becomes established (ratishayam) in ahisā all beings coming near (samnidhau) (to him/her) cease (tyagah) to be vaira (hostile)

Version 3
    No power on earth can make two mutual enemies enter into combat in the presence of him, who being established in ahisā, does not harm anyone.

See this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2956

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

This reminds me that animals, possessing senses that are not tuned
    specifically to the ranges that are the norm for humans, are thereby
    not fooled by those who present one face to the world and another
    in private. An individual who is able to conceal a cruel and sadistic nature
    from their friends and family will often find that animals stay far from them,
    as animals are able to perceive cues that are missed by most humans.

The quote could also apply to people as well as birds, however; most
    people are wearied by the degree of wariness that is learned from an early
    age, and feel a strong sense of ease and relief when in the presence of
    one who has no desire for harm within them. Such people attract others
    wherever they might be, even though those that are attracted may be hard put to explain why.

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Dear Webimpulse,

I have recently made my first visit to India; one of the things that striking to me was how much closer together animals and people live.
    In France most wildlife is so terrified of man, that you seldom see it; and any living creature that manages to survive in our mess, is then considered to be an infestation and a pest, ironically due to its success in living in harmony with us.

Such is the aggressivity of man here; I would go further in suggesting that, ahiṁsā effects not only the person it moulds also the nation in consequence.

Kind regards.

Namaskar,

To me it is a common visual metaphor often used to illustrate that it is the inherently innocent and gentle souls who are closest to Creation or God. It is those who seek to do no harm and wish to heal, and/or are steeped in joy and wish to bring it to others, to whom the butterflies, dragonflies and bees flock when such a person is in meditation, or to whom the forest creatures gather to listen when such a person sings or plays music. Every culture has stories of people like this. They are usually the most realized, pure or wise people, and thus people who we are meant to look up to and try to learn from or emulate. It is a strong image that makes a powerful point across all cultures. But more than a person’s inner nature I think it speaks of applied Ahimsa, as others have stated; consciousness in reaction, in that it is often one animal's instinctive reaction to another in some way that can stimulate aggressive action in response.

For instance, trying to wave away a bee, (not swat at, just wafting with a hand or paper or ducking away), can often make it feel threatened and attack in response to the perceived threat. But we react that way instinctively to try and stop that from happening to begin with. As Humans we are able to observe this and then change and control our actions to simply be still and let the bee go on its way. I am deadly allergic to bee venom, yet this is how I interact with them. I have not been stung since I was 12, I believe because of this, but my spouse has often tried to duck away and wave them gently off, and my spouse sometimes ends up stung as a result.

The doorway into one of the shrines at a large temple we saw in India was swarming with hornets, humming with them. I didn't have my epipen shot because we didn't know we were going into a big complex, we were simply told to leave our shoes and our bags in the car. But I wasn't concerned at all. While my other half fretted and cringed, I walked calmly and slowly through, respecting their space and being, and they respected mine. Four times, because I went back to that shrine later to get a Yantra from the priest there.

We have the ability to analyze and learn from actions, and then choose our current and future strategies so as to perhaps not present any threat to begin with. Taking the path of Ahimsa, we don't just not harm or threaten others, we transcend animal instinct. The world around us notices.

Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Although the animals of the planet do not possess a higher intelligence than a human being, they do have a deeper understanding of the Earth's energy systems albeit not intellectually. I believe their understanding is limited to memory.

So when you as a human being have practiced enough Sadhana using the appropriate techniques to the point where you acquire mastery over some of your life energies, you will be able to establish an understanding with animals. People use life energies for a host of other things than just establishing a relationship with animals.

Thread Information