Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast

Thread: I am Shiva

Re: I am Shiva

namaste Ekanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanta View Post
    This is interesting, I havent seen this sukta before. I wonder about the translation and especially the word "astu".
    tan [that] me [mine] manah [mind] Shiva [auspicious] sankalpam [will] astu [may it be]
    Couldnt it equally be translated as "May my mind do the Auspicious Will" instead of "dwell on"? and a direct referens to conscience [Shiva-Sankalpa] as inpelled by Ishvara [perhaps it can equally be called chit or prajna]?
    Your translation, which is direct, is also valid and correct and perhaps more universal. But then, while the common and popular meaning of the word astu is 'be it so, may it be', its dhAtu--root, which is 'as' has many significant meanings, a promoment one of which is 'to abide, dwell, stay'. Thus 'asta' means 'home', not just the physical home but the eternal home reached when one dies. The sun on 'astamana' reaches its home.

In fact, the meanings 'be it so' and 'abide by' are almost identical--to hold on to something with conviction and personal realizatiion.

The Vedic use of terms such as shiva--auspicious, kRShNa--black, and viShNu--space, pervade, in the opinion of some people, may not mean the gods Shiva, KRShNa and ViShNu straightaway, but they are the base of the features attributed to these gods, so IMHO, there is nothing wrong in finding such terms as pointers to our contemporary Hindu gods.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

2. Re: I am Shiva

Shiva is the destroyer. I think it's a metaphor for awareness. As Osho says: all this sin is dissolved in the light of awareness, while all that is virtuous flourishes in awareness.

I think that's it really. It's when consciousness realises it's god nature or Krishna consciousness or whatever and disassociates itself from thought or other transient movements. As Krishnamurti says it's the moment we're out of the 'stream' of human passions.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté AC,

Quote Originally Posted by AwareConsciousness View Post
    Shiva is the destroyer.
    Destroyer of ignornace, of birth-after-birth. A Destroyer of sorrows.
    Yet He is also known as śakarā.

o śakarāya nama
    We can look at śaṅkarā as śaṃkara शंकर or causing prosperity , auspicious , beneficent.

We find in the Spandakārikā-s the following: śa karoti śakaraor śaṃkara is the one who does śaṃ. Śaṃkara is another name for Śiva, as mentioned.

This word Śaṃkara means causing prosperity, auspiciousness, beneficence. And śam means auspiciously, happily. Yet in the Spandakārikā-s śam is also considered anugraha, grace. We can look at it this way, Śiva that does śaṃ, via His anuttara, grace.

But what grace? the commentary goes on to say this grace consists in enabling the aspirant to recognize the vast expanse of Śiva's Consciousness or sva-caitanya sphāra.

One must be aware that this Spandakārikā is a non-dual (advayatā) view of Reality. Hence when we look to this Consciousness as advayatā, it then suggests it is part of our consciousness. Hence śaṅkarā is the One that brings auspiciousness, prosperity via His grace (anuttara).

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by AwareConsciousness View Post
    Shiva is the destroyer.
    The term 'destroyer' came from Christian missionary translations.

A better term is 'dissolver' or, 'disolutionist". Siva is no metaphor. He is the life within your life. He is absolute reality, the primal soul, the perfect balance, the energy permeating every atom of the universe. I am in Him, and He is in Me. He is the causal force, and the manifestation of all that He causes. One without a second. Without Siva, there would be nothing.

This is from an enthusiastic Saiva's perspective.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste MSDji.

lateral thinking. Duryodhana went straight to the heavens unlike the Pancha PANDavas who wavered in their svadharma of a kShatriya. Thus, although he is the villain of the MahAbhArata, ShrI KRShNa duly recognized his adherence to svadharma and granted him svarga-patavi--seat in the heaven.

All said and done, the whole itihAsa of MahAbhArata was only Shiva's lILA, KRShNa/ViShNu mAyA, Shakti tANDava to give the people of this Kali Yuga a series of lessons in Sanatana Dharma.

So the same can be said of all the greatest demons mentioned in the Vedas were the Good Guys and all the heros were the bad guys?

Kamsa, Hiranyakashipu, Ravana were Heros?

"went straight to the heavens unlike the Pancha PANDavas"

But that is not what occured in the story of Mahabharata. Yudhisthira simply had a final-final test/delay in processing him through the pearly gates.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté

It is said as ādi śaṅkara-ji was seeking his master he came upon a sage that asked him ' who are you ? '; to this he replied with the following 6 stanzas. This is called nirvāṇaṣaṭkam.

I see ādi śaṅkara-ji's description as perfect stillness - perfect Being. My teacher would always talk of 'the silence within' and this IMHO defines it justly.

nirvāṇa+ṣaṭ+kam
    • nirvāṇa - blown or put out , extinguished calmed , quieted , tamed ; yet as a as a noun it is perfect calm or repose or happiness , highest bliss;
    • ṣaṭ+kam ṣaṭ = ṣaḍ = 6 or 6 times + kam;
    • kam can be looked as as an affirmative sense of ' yes' or ' well' due to its being at the end of the word; kam has many applications and meanings, as kam is also happiness, welfare, etc. ( note too ká is a noun of brahman).
    Hence, the 6 stanzas that offer perfect calm and happiness, yes. Note each recension ends with śivoha śivoha¹.
    • I am not mind, wisdom, pride, and heart. Or I am not ear, tongue, nose and eyes. I am not sky, land, power, and wind. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
    • I am not the state of being alive or the five types of prāṇavāyu. I am not the seven elements constituting the body (dhātu-s or the constitution of the body) or I am not the five sheaths which hide the soul. I am not voice, hand, or legs. I am not the portion at the bottom of waist (anus or liṅga). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
    • I am not the state of envy and passion or I am not the emotions of greed and attachment. I am not intoxication or I am not the emotion of jealousy. And I am not even the four puruṣārtha, (the 4 goals in life dharma, artha, kāma and mokṣa). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am not puṇya or pāpa ( ~fortune/merit or or sin~), friendship, or grief. I am not the chants or shrines. I am not the Veda, the sacrifice and the oblation. I am not even the action of eating, or the one that should be eaten (food), or the consumer. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am not death, I am not the doubts, I am not the differences between races. I am not a father, I am not a mother, or not even the birth. I am not a relative, I am not a preceptor, or I am not even a disciple. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss ( śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am free from changes, and lack all the qualities and forms. I am present everywhere in all the sense-organs. I am not free or I am not even associated. I am not measurable (in any way). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    praām

word and references
    Last edited by yajvan; 20 January 2010 at 01:30 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Cobra doing bilva leaf archana to shivalingam

On Jan 15, 2010 the day of solar eclipse, a cobra performed archana to a shivalingam with bilva leaves at the Thepperumanallur Shiva temple near KumbakoNam, Tamilnadu. The event was witnessed by many people of the village and the news item with photograph appeared in some Tamil newspapers.

Here is an account of the incident:
    http://nushindusociety.org/test/inde...e;topic=1929.0

and the news item with photograph:
    http://www.dinamalar.com/humantrustd...sp?news_id=157
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

The padma purana States that Mahadeva took a vow to mislead the people of Kaliyuga by establishing a concocted religion.

Sri Shankaracharya's advent was in the Kaliyuga and he is believed to be Lord Shiva.

Yajur Veda ii. 1. 3.

The gods and the Asuras strove for these worlds; Visnu saw this dwarf, he offered it to its own deity; then he conquered these worlds. One who is engaged in a struggle should offer the dwarf (beast) to Visnu; then he becomes like Visnu and conquers these worlds.

Anyone who successfully offers the beast to the master of the beast becomes, by being devoid of the beast, absolutely nude -- digamber and yields to no second. This is Advaita. There is always 'others' to the beast.

Yajur Veda i. 8. 6.

c Thou art the protection of cattle, the protection of the sacrifice; give
    me protection.
    d Rudra alone yieldeth to no second.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste everyone,
    There is a very beautiful rendition of the Nirvanasatkam which can be found here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxrsd...eature=related

Thanks a lot Yajvan ji for providing the meaning of this slokam.
    Best Regards,
    mukunda

Thread Information