Thread: What Dreams May Come (long)

What Dreams May Come (long)

Namaste all!

I am sharing this in the Canteen folder instead of the Vegetarian folder because it primarily has to do with the way in which God chooses to (or not to) listen to and sometimes answer our prayers.

I'm not vegetarian - a fact that never bothered one iota until recently. I never felt guilty about eating meat, as I ascribe to the "everything in moderation" philosophy. At least I did. But as I learn more about my new faith and read more about the reasons behind being a vegetarian I have started to doubt my bacon-loving self. I would tell you honestly that while I do eat meat, I eat it rarely - it's expensive after all. But the infrequency hardly seems to matter in a cosmic sense when it comes to Hinduism. Now there's no need to list all the very valid reasons why Vegetarianism is a good idea. I went to art school - art school is swarming with vegetarians. That and I agree on an intellectual level with almost all the reasons.

I think the block is largely psychological and social. Every vegetarian I ever met in person was a snobby, arrogant jerk who looked down there nose at me when I had a chicken salad. Now I know they're not all that way. But experience is hard to ignore. There's a part of me that doesn't want to be vegitarian simply because I associate it with an elitist attitude. I know that's messed up - but I'm working on it. Also, (confession time) my older sister used to be vegetarian and when she first started we all gave her a hard time. We teased her about her "rabbit food". So another block is that I know if I become vegetarian I'll have to suck it up, apologize and fully admit to being a hypocritical jerkface.

So then come the events of last night.

I decided to meditate on the problem and ask God for help. In this case I appealed to Maa Lakshmi for grace and courage. I also asked for her to help me figure out what to do. If it is important for me to be vegetarian, I'll do it, if not, bring me peace so I can move on. I then silently requested (well recommended) that she might consider giving me an answer in a dream. I have very vivid dreams and I remember them easily. I then went about my evening, forgot about my request and went to sleep.

The following is the dream I had that night:

I am riding on the back of a bicycle/motorcycle like vehicle. The person driving is not someone I know from life, but I get the sense that this is someone who is familiar and whom I trust to some degree. The point of view in the dream is third person, I guess, since I am floating above myself watching myself.

Anyway, the driver of the vehicle speeds off with me clinging to their waist. The vehicle scales buildings and bridge cables, narrow ledges along cliffs and futuristic skyways. The threat of falling is always present. Dream me has her eyes tightly closed against the sight, in fear. The dream continues in this manner for a while, all the while my eyes remain closed. Finally the bike stops on normal ground and the driver and I get off. We are surrounded by others and their bikes. They look as if they have just finished their own rides. They are smiling and breathless. They look exhilarated. But the troubling thing about them all is that their eyes are bleeding. However they don't seem to be feeling any pain, and in fact are untroubled by the blood. Dream Me's eyes are normal. My driver takes notice and asks me why. I say that I kept my eyes closed during the ride because I was afraid. In a manner I can only describe as affectionate the driver says, "You'll never experience anything worthwhile if you keep your eyes closed."

I looked around the circle of other drivers and they seemed to be nodding in agreement. Then the dream ends.

I would like to add at this point that while I have studied dream sleep a little I have no idea if dreams "mean" anything. They could very well be brain noise left over from the day. But I think at the very least subconscious thoughts and intuitions can surface in dreams and allow us to see how we really think. I have to give this more thought. If you actually read this to the end I would gladly reward you with warm cookies and a hot towel. But alas - space and time and all that.

Peace

"God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: What Dreams May Come (long)

Vannakkam: I actually dreamt of motorcycles last might as well, but in mine its always the same: the motorcycle breaks down. Just like the one I had in RT did. It's just another subconscious cleansing dream and now that I've mentioned it, I'll have to have it again. Oh well.

Yours was way more interesting.

But as to meat, my subconscious is reprogrammed because I refuse to eat it in dreams too.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: What Dreams May Come (long)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I actually dreamt of motorcycles last might as well, but in mine its always the same: the motorcycle breaks down. Just like the one I had in RT did. It's just another subconscious cleansing dream and now that I've mentioned it, I'll have to have it again. Oh well.

Yours was way more interesting.

But as to meat, my subconscious is reprogrammed because I refuse to eat it in dreams too.

Aum Namasivaya
    I was once told that if one dreams in a foreign language, it means you are fluent in that language. Which is complete hogwash, because I've dreamed in Spanish many times and am just as confused mid-REM as I am in waking life.

I envy your subconscious -as well as those who I've read come to Hinduism and then suddenly just don't want meat. Like a strange transformation. I think "Wow. Wouldn't that just make this so much easier for me...if a magic Nandi Cow visited me in the night and suddenly the desire was completely gone.

Ah, well. I will not stop with one isolated prayer/dream. The scientist in me demands a few more data points to work with.

Peace.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information