Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Egg

Re: Egg

Thank you, Avyaydya.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin95 View Post
    Namaste, I know there are a few threads already on here and I read through them but I still haven't found the answer I was looking for. I have recently been trying to give up meat but I was wondering if egg counts or not? I know in Hinduism vegetarian is key so I'm trying to be the best Hindu I can be. I understand that eating meat and going to the mandir is unacceptably but whats the opinion on egg products like a donut.
    It is probably redundant for me to give my opinion on the matter after all that's been said but,... I will do so anyway!

I think eggs are not sattvik in the traditional understanding of Sanathana Dharma. That is the point of view of a good number of the authorities I turn to, within the Vaishnava sampradayas.

As for practicing this rule of thumb MYSELF well, I must say that though I am vegetarian I still eat egg-containing products - mostly because I don't support myself as of yet and they are so damn ubiquitous. Excuses, excuses, I know. I'm sort of in the middle of the road when it comes to this sort of thing and honestly don't feel it is too big a spiritual hindrance, even though I consider myself a Vaishnava. A Vaishnava in-the-making perhaps. Anyhow, let me brood some more about this thing and beat myself up about it because we all know spiritually advanced people love to do that sort of thing! wink wink.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't worry very much about it. We all get there when we get there.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

FYI Only ( as you enter the flu season)

For those that did not know, flu shots are egg protein based medicines i.e. they're traditionally cultured in eggs. There are alternatives (recombinant vaccines) that one can choose that are non-egg based.

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I came to hear about plant based eggs today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ole-Foods.html
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

When an individual has not made sufficient progress on the spiritual path, or is not desirous of doing so, he would crave for the type of foods he/she knows to be non-sattvic. Under those conditions, why force oneself to give up certain things and look for artificially created versions of them? What purpose does it serve to switch from real eggs to 'manufactured' eggs? What difference does it serve to replace 'real' meat with some form of it artificially created from acceptable ingredients? If one's tongue desires certain tastes/textures/aromas, why torture oneself and eat something less than perfect? By all means enjoy the nature's bounty to the fullest. Only when the passion for the spiritual path ignites, will the tongue forgo of the undesirable tastes and the mind not crave for/dream about them. Till then, do yourself a favor and eat real eggs and real meat. By replacing JW Black Label with moonshine, one only fools oneself.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer et al: Egg replacer for baking has been around for awhile. It's not the egg taste that is desired but the cohesive effect for cakes and the like. Not that Hindus eat much cake, but here in the west, in the transition from one kind of cooking to another, for birthday parties, etc. egg replacer does come in handy for those eggless cake recipes.

As most people probably are aware, egg is a hidden ingredient in a lot of baked goods. It is the one time we tolerated it in the past ... Grandma would bake a cake ... and we ruled for family harmony over insulting. But now the Grandmas have moved on so this problem is no longer encountered.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information