Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egg

Egg

Namaste, I know there are a few threads already on here and I read through them but I still haven't found the answer I was looking for. I have recently been trying to give up meat but I was wondering if egg counts or not? I know in Hinduism vegetarian is key so I'm trying to be the best Hindu I can be. I understand that eating meat and going to the mandir is unacceptably but whats the opinion on egg products like a donut.

Re: Egg

Namaste Sachin95

Many Hindus eat chicken, but many Hindus are vegan. No Hindu would eat cow which is an animal of renown, nor would any Hindu eat a pig which is dirty and you can die from eating it.

If you want to be a vegan, you cannot eat egg. I assume you mean the egg of a chicken. After all, there are people who would eat anything, such as the egg of a lizard or a snake or a turtle.

Think about a Golden Eagle. What beauty. And think of eating the mother eagle's egg. What does she think? "You have eaten my baby!".

There are monsters who eat aborted fetuses. I have read proof positive on this, regarding some very, very sick "rock stars" who have done so. So a fetus, or eating a fetus, is eating the baby of a human. All women, females, be a tiger or a Bengali Tiger with two legs and two eyes of coal and a frying pan, they all have an egg from which you come from. Even if you do not see the egg.

If you want to be vegan, then you cannot eat an egg. That is the same as eating a baby unborn chicken. Sometimes all of the universe is seen as an Egg, from which comes many things.

If you decide to take the vegan path, be watchful of the what the ingredients are for various things. You gave the example of a donut. But it is worse than that. There are donuts that have beef fat in them, Mother Cow.

Sometimes it is better to buy your food stocks raw and mix and cook your own food. Or better yet, marry a nice Hindu woman who knows how to cook.

Vegan = no egg

There are all sorts of Hindus. Some will not eat this, some will eat that - some told me they will not eat a certain rice (being it is like lingam). But vegan is vegan. There are all sorts of "non-Hindus". I had a shock in Thailand, when I observed Japanese men (young men in their 20's and 30's) drinking in little cups the blood of poor turtles. These were not Thais, but tourists, a turtle was pulled out of a bucket, then some cretin cuts the head off or slits the throat of the poor turtle with the turtle held from the back end hanging, and the blood then dripping into a little glass, and the Japanese men then "shoot it down" like liqour (how do you spell? I don't drink ... you know, like alcohol). Disgusting and so sad. I have no idea what they would do that. I think perhaps they think it will make them "manly" with women - insane.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin95 View Post
    Namaste, I know there are a few threads already on here and I read through them but I still haven't found the answer I was looking for. I have recently been trying to give up meat but I was wondering if egg counts or not? I know in Hinduism vegetarian is key so I'm trying to be the best Hindu I can be. I understand that eating meat and going to the mandir is unacceptably but whats the opinion on egg products like a donut.
    Vannakkam: Egg isn't vegetarian, as ShivaFan pointed out. At the same time, its one of those hidden ingredients in a lot of things, like cake, pastries, pancakes, as you mentioned. Gelatin is another.

So once somebody decides to be vegetarian, they then usually continue on to decide how strict they want to be. Some might have a small slice of cake at a friend's birthday party, for example, or not take issue with gelatin caps in a prescribed medication. So that part depends on the individual.

Although many Hindus are vegan, I believe the vast majority are lacto-vegetarian, which allows for dairy products, like ghee, although vegan 'ghee' is available.

Good luck with the transition. I think you'll find it quite easy. That again is open for discussion, as some people use the 'give up one thing at a time' method over a year or so, while others go cold turkey. (pardon the pun)

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Sachin.

Everybody is trying to give up some or the other habit for spiritual progress bit by bit. So we are all in the same boat

One thing with Hinduism is that we don't have to worry about the technical definition of each and every food at all. You must have heard about the classificaiton of food into Sattvik(promotes calmness), Rajasic(restlessness) and Tamasic (ignorance) in Hinduism. Egg is not considered Sattvik, while milk is. So we have no problem with questions like: "doesn't plant have life?" "isn't milk an animal product?" and so on. Sattvik food is promotes spirituality and in general more humane.

As ShivaFan puts it please spare the cow! Gelatin, Rennet etc in food is to be watched out for. Its very easy to do so.

Wish you all the best in your sadhana!

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I had a shock in Thailand, when I observed Japanese men (young men in their 20's and 30's) drinking in little cups the blood of poor turtles. These were not Thais, but tourists, a turtle was pulled out of a bucket, then some cretin cuts the head off or slits the throat of the poor turtle with the turtle held from the back end hanging, and the blood then dripping into a little glass, and the Japanese men then "shoot it down" like liqour (how do you spell? I don't drink ... you know, like alcohol). Disgusting and so sad. I have no idea what they would do that. I think perhaps they think it will make them "manly" with women - insane.
    Om Namah Sivaya
    I heard that in Singapore are restaurants that serve live monkey's brain; This is debated but my friend says that he has seen one while working there.

It is not just important that someone takes care what he/she eats by ethical reason. It is definitely serious because of karma.
    AUM

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin95 View Post
    Yes, eggs are meat, and if you want to be vegetarian, you should give up eggs and egg-containing products.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste all.

I believe that all vaishnavas affiliated to one of the five main vaishnava sampradaya(I am a gaudiya-vaishnava) strictly avoid meat,fish and eggs.

As far as I know,several other hindus are lacto-vegetarian but hardly vegan.

Pranama,
    Orlando.

As stated above, it all depends.

It depends on which section/sect of Hinduism you belong to and also, how far you wish to go in your own spiritual or Yogic practices.

I eat white meat (chicken and fish) and I also eat eggs (which Swami Shivananda of Rishikesh fondly called "English Laddhus").

Hare Krishna devotees are all lacto-vegetarian and don't eat any meat (including eggs).

Most Hindus are lacto vegetarian, because Mother Cow is seen to provide not only for baby cows, but also for human beings. Still others believe that milk is for 'baby cows only'.

If one is performing yoga or strict discipline, foodstuffs like eggs and milk should be avoided. Eggs contain 'gross energy' which takes a long time for the body to digest and produces toxic by-products.

I am not really into all that anymore (I used to be), so I have relaxed my dietary restrictions, only fasting on Mondays.

Giving up all meat and eating eggs is better than eating meat, so it's an improvement, but eggs should be avoided anyway...especially the yellow part, because it's full of cholesterol.

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Namaste Sachin 95,

After reading all the long winded posts about 'what I do' and about what 'different Hindus' do, focus on the shortest answer provided by 'philosoraptor'. Don't know why people bring their personal dietary habits or other BS into the conversation. The question is what is proper for spiritual advancement in Hinduism. Why not just stick to that instead of 'what I do' and what the 'rest of 1 billion Hindus' do. Is it really necessary to talk about monkey brains and swine rear ends?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Yes, eggs are meat, and if you want to be vegetarian, you should give up eggs and egg-containing products.
    #

Namaste!
    In a discussion round of some well known representants of all big religions about vegetarism everybody agreed with the Dalai Lama when he said, that as meat should be designated everything what is able to move from one point to another on his own.

I canīt remember when it was, and I dont have a source of it, but I still remember the words.

kind regards
    Arjunesh
    AUM

Thread Information