Thread: Sanskrit week in schools

Sanskrit week in schools

Namaste,

This news is everywhere: http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2...-celebrations/

TM Chief Minister Jayalalitha has vehemently protested against it for the reason that when it comes to every single region within India, it is the ruling language of that region (state) that should gain prominence and not otherwise. I feel she is right.

What do you think?

Thank you.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Sanskrit week in schools

Namaste Viraja,

Welcome back. Please use black font for your post, as it is easier on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    .....when it comes to every single region within India, it is the ruling language of that region (state) that should gain prominence and not otherwise. I feel she is right.
    Now you are opening a BIG can of worms.

It is well known that the Tamil non-brahmins alone in the whole country have vehemently and consistently opposed anything with a trace of Northern-ism. It is like poison to them. This was put in their heads by EVR. Jayalalitha's power comes from this group. So, she has to pander to this group for her political survival.

Sanskrit is all of India's national heritage and I don't see celebrating a Sanskrit week in any way undermining the regional languages. There are other 51 weeks in a year when they can celebrate their local languages, customs and traditions. To attack the observance of Sanskrit week as divisive and buckling to 'Hindutva ideology' in a multi-cultural nations and blah, blah, blah is just injecting poison into the cause of national unity in a round about way. But, what else do you expect from 'J'?

I was really, really disappointed to know that you support the TN CM's opposition to this observance. Any rational human being with a little bit of intelligence can see through J's reasons for opposing it. All sane people must unite to make the country strong. Arguing over petty things at every instance does not serve the nation well.

Pranam.

PS, Sorry for coming out so strong, but at a time when the missionary and islamic forces are busy tearing the country apart, J being small minded and petty is not a desirable thing. She must reprogram her constituents to think that non-Tamils (and specially Hindi speaking people) are not their enemies. It is pathetic the way she tormented Mr. Vajpayee for her support at the center. This time around, I am glad that she has been marginalized and her support is not needed to run the central Govt., else she would have pulled the same old tricks on a daily basis. Attacking the Hindutva Ideology and RSS is just to score some political points. That must stop in the national interest.
    Last edited by Believer; 21 July 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Thank you, Believer ji. Appreciate your reply. Actually when I posted it, I had mixed-feelings. On one side, I was pro-Sanskrit week. On the other, it seemed like J had a point. But on your clarification, it seems Sanskrit week is really a nice idea. I can imagine how holy one would treat their heritage and especially for all Hindus, Sanskrit is a big thing because many of our prayers and rituals are written in it. J seems to be one of those staunch Vaishnava types, I'm surprised why she isn't seeing the reason in it, the way you put it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    J seems to be one of those staunch Vaishnava types, I'm surprised why she isn't seeing the reason in it, the way you put it.
    She can see it all clearly and understand it too. But she cannot act on that because that would alienate her support base of non-brahmin Tamils. If I were in her position, I would probably do the same thing to stay in power. But that does not mean that the educated Tamil masses should agree with her position. To her being the CM comes first. India's well being, unity and security comes second.

Pranam.

PS, Would a staunch Vaishanava woman spend her life being the 'other woman' like she has?

No, if J had been a Vaishnava from the beginning, she wouldn't have spoiled poor Janaki's life! J just seems to have turned to spirituality with old age (or election results... ). In any case, as you have said, she can bravely ask people to celebrate Tamil 51 weeks of the year and contribute just 1 week to Sanskrit. I'm disappointed that J who otherwise seems bold, can't handle this and resort to securing her vote bank safely.

Thread Information