Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eating meat

Re: Eating meat

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin95 View Post
    I have decided from now on to switch to full vegetarian and devote myself to Hinduism properly instead of eating meat everyday until I visit the temple. Thanks for all the responses.
    Vannakkam: Personally, I think this is the best way, rather than slowly. It will be hard for a bit, but soon you'll be over that. Of course, as with quitting smoking, or any change, the nature of the individual and what works best for them should be considered. Becoming a vegetarian is much easier than quitting smoking or other habits that are actually physically addictive. You get a physical craving for nicotine. I've never heard of anyone getting a craving (psychological, maybe) for meat, but you can just go eat something else. With cigarettes or booze, its hard to find a replacement.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    Namaste,

In General, who cares what God thinks. does anyone goes to temple for God for God's sake, simply to chant his name and be with him? Most people go to temples for solving personal problems.

what we believe is upto us. it all depends upon where we live and the tradition that the place follows. Many people do not show interest in reading bhagavat or Gita. It also depends upon availability of type of food. Aghoris eat human flesh. Their theory is that nothing is impure. Everything created by Shiva is pure and cannot be rejected. regarding eating flesh, they think that it is just a matter, a dead body without soul. But this philosophy is not accepted by common public. In general, hinsA (violence) is not accepted. How many temples are dedicated to Lord Parashurama? who many worship him as their personal deity. Vaishnav word may include all avatars of Vishnu. Rama can be accepted, but I have not heard of a vaishnav who is dedicated his life to Parashurama. Most of them are devoted to Krushna. But God keeps exceptions in all cases to bust up our myth.

I have also been taught that as one advances in spirituality, one has to quit meat. But general public is not interested in moksha and live life as per tradition followed by their family, samaj (cast) and society.

Aum
    Namaste.

I just found this topic and I wish to quote the above post for emphasis.

In a nutshell, if the desire to eat meat is there, you may as well just eat meat.

It's the desire you must give up, not the act of eating meat.

Once the desire is gone, you won't want to eat meat anymore. It will happen by itself.

You think that God/Hanumanji/Lord Shiva doesn't know what you are doing at those times you don't go to the Temple to worship Him?

He is with you everywhere and anywhere at all times. So, why feel guilty about eating meat and going to the Temple?

If you really felt like that, you wouldn't eat meat at all.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste Everyone,

It is very difficult to switch to vegan.
    The process has to be gradual or the body will go into shock as in most cases.
    The desire to eat meat is really what it is, a desire!
    If meat has been consumed it is recomended that therafter one should fast for at least 21 days before doing any sort of puja,homa etc...
    One is constantly surrounded by Tamasic principles.
    Apart from the above in some sects Meat is offered in Yajnas.
    Take a closer look at the precription for The Goddess Chinamasta Worship,or should I say the path of a hero.
    Veganism is great, In the yuga that we live in it may not be the only prescribed dietary path.

Namaste

The process has to be gradual or the body will go into shock as in most cases.
    I find this idea unconvincing.

For a decade or two kids don't smoke or drink. But when they get the opportunity upon entering into high school or college they don't sit down and plan a regime to start smoking. It applies to entertaining themselves with lustful thoughts.

All of us have the mental capacity to accept sudden demise of our most loved ones. We grieve for few days but don't we move on within a week.

Self denial for a nobler motive is the key. I am not saying it is as easy as changing electric bulb. I believe it is in the state of mind. Either the practitioner has not fully convinced to turn into a Vegetarian or addicted to meat.

In case of an addiction person require additional help but most of is are simply not convinced to go began. My 2 cents.a
    Anirudh...

This is done by you wrongly. You have no bad intention. Now you can take care next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

I find this idea unconvincing.
    Me too. There has been a lot of quick stopping. The body will most certainly react in some way, but 'going into shock' is a bit extreme.

I went to vegetarian, (not vegan, but I don't see the difference in terms of a switch) from fairly heavy meat eating. The 'shock' I felt was that I felt so much better.

Our bodies are just so well equipped to handle a lot. We can survive for up to 60 days on water alone. Or we can eat ridiculous amounts of food, like the professional eaters do.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information