Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone be both Hindu and Sufi?

Hybrid View

Can someone be both Hindu and Sufi?

Namaste! Is it possible to be both Sufi and Hindu? From what I am learning, Sufism seems easier to blend with Sufism than perhaps even with Islam.

I have recently read that the Mujuaddidi (sp) Naqshbandi has been influenced a lot by Hinduism. I'd love to know more about that.

Re: Can someone be both Hindu and Sufi?

Namaste,

I think from a perspective of Sanatana Dharma it would be okay. however if you take the islamic position it would not be so much okay. It depends on what Sufis you mean. Even the Naqshbandi Mujadidi sufis differ. You have some that are very lax and open, then you have others who are very strict Muslims who hold fast the Quran and way of Muhammad. Sufism of Shaykh Zulfiqar Ahmad would be very strict to the Quran and Sunnah and if you believed in God in a way that expresses Kufr (disbelief) such as believing God is everywhere and in everything and we are God then such a belief would not be acceptable to Sufis of that Naqshbandi Mujadidi Order.

Now you may be able to get away with Naqshbandi Haqqanis (those who follow Nazim al-haqqani). They seem to accept the old sufis sayings of there are many paths to Allah. However, even amongst them you may have disagreements. Perhaps Nazim al-haqqani wouldnt mind but sufis of a less calibre might take offense to "paganistic" views of Hindus as they would put it frankly.

it is hard to make them compatable since some Sufis are strict adherence to the close minded Quran and way of Muhammad. Those who are more about direct experience might not care because they have experienced God in all things and sees God everywhere and has perfected their vision of Wahdat al-wujud (Oneness of Being)

OM
    -juan

You could find out in the (Sri) Guru Granth Sahib.

Interesting question, as another member said from a strictly Islamic standpoint no, you are to be a Muslim, period. From a Hindu standpoint, I think there would be no problem. I personally love Rumi and have always loved Sufi teacings and figures. I do find it interesting that certain sects of Islam particularly Shi'a Ismaili seems to borrow certain ideas from the dharma. If you were going to be a Sufi first and a serious one at that, then you would be Muslim and a Muslim sticks to Islam and only Islam.
    Don't look for meaning there is none.

ॐ नमः शिवाय.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    You could find out in the (Sri) Guru Granth Sahib.
    The SGGS represents Sikhism rather than Sufism. Although the SGGS and Sikhism could offer a bhakti path to non-dual moksha, which is similar but not the same thing that is attractive about Sufism.

Heartfully.
    As others say. A Muslim or Sufi can only recognise Allah and the Prophet. You could probably read Hindu philsophy to support your knowledge but not recognise it as the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Snip View Post
    The SGGS represents Sikhism rather than Sufism. Although the SGGS and Sikhism could offer a bhakti path to non-dual moksha, which is similar but not the same thing that is attractive about Sufism.
    Nevertheless, it is the integration of Sanatana Dharma and Islam. Surely there were some more intellectual Sikhs. I can think of some: the Sant Mat gurus, who did not just teach bhakti, but meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Nevertheless, it is the integration of Sanatana Dharma and Islam. Surely there were some more intellectual Sikhs. I can think of some: the Sant Mat gurus, who did not just teach bhakti, but meditation.
    Hi DavidC
    That is very true and a good point. Thanks for clarifying.
    I find the blend of Sanatana Dharma and Islam quite beautiful; there appears to me to be something good dualists and non-dualists alike.

Namaste! Thanks! Are you a Sufi? I see Hinduism as embracing however unique a person's path is and I love that. Some tariqas are very open to the wisdom of other traditions; others think Islam is the only way. I would have assumed the Naqshbandi-Haqqani would not be too keen on a dervish practicing Hinduism.

Llewelyn Vaughn (a Naqshbandi from the west) just wrote a book about the Feminine Divine I look forward to reading. Irina Tweedie (who brought the lineage Llewellyn Vaughn comes through had a lot of experiences with Hinduism in India. One of the first things her guru/sheikh told her was there are Hindu Sufis, Christian Sufis, Muslim Sufis.

Om Shanti!
    heartfully

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

I think from a perspective of Sanatana Dharma it would be okay. however if you take the islamic position it would not be so much okay. It depends on what Sufis you mean. Even the Naqshbandi Mujadidi sufis differ. You have some that are very lax and open, then you have others who are very strict Muslims who hold fast the Quran and way of Muhammad. Sufism of Shaykh Zulfiqar Ahmad would be very strict to the Quran and Sunnah and if you believed in God in a way that expresses Kufr (disbelief) such as believing God is everywhere and in everything and we are God then such a belief would not be acceptable to Sufis of that Naqshbandi Mujadidi Order.

Now you may be able to get away with Naqshbandi Haqqanis (those who follow Nazim al-haqqani). They seem to accept the old sufis sayings of there are many paths to Allah. However, even amongst them you may have disagreements. Perhaps Nazim al-haqqani wouldnt mind but sufis of a less calibre might take offense to "paganistic" views of Hindus as they would put it frankly.

it is hard to make them compatable since some Sufis are strict adherence to the close minded Quran and way of Muhammad. Those who are more about direct experience might not care because they have experienced God in all things and sees God everywhere and has perfected their vision of Wahdat al-wujud (Oneness of Being)

OM
    -juan

It is very late here, and I will elaborate on this later but I was very much into Sufism before I became a Hindu; the Panentheism *the en is important, making into the god is in the universe AND transcendent, and not just the universe* of Sufism made me understanding to what Hinduism says about Brahma; the karma system *as properly believed and not just what we think in the west* made inherent sense and then Ma Kali burst into my life and took control as she tends to do in her devotees lives in her typical, beautiful way.
    Salutation be to you O Narayani, O you who are the good of all good, O auspicious Devi, who accomplish every object, the giver of refuge, O three eyed Gauri!

-Devi Mahatmya Chapter 11, Verse 10.

10. Re: Can someone be both Hindu and Sufi?

I believe you can find an appropriate answer through a better understanding of the basic concepts of Hinduism. I hope the following article will be helpful to you. Hinduism - Everyone Is A Hindu

I am really delighted to find such people who are ready to accept the good from different religions and establish a wholesome 'way of life' which will help towards the welfare of the whole world.

Thread Information