Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doll and Puppetry Art: Personal Work

Doll and Puppetry Art: Personal Work

ShivaFan has inspired me to share my own art inspired by the Divine. While I have shared my paintings in another thread, I thought the 3D work should have its own place.

This thread is open to all those in the sculptural or mixed media arts that create work inspired by Hinduism or the Art of India in general. Please share your work! My only request is that you keep the images to a reasonable size. I don't know what that would be exactly, you can all use your instincts I think. ( I made some of mine attachments because they were too big)

Below are some examples of my doll work. The bodies are soft - fabric with fiberfill, adn the heads and hands are made from clay. The crowns are constructed from clay and embellished with seed beads and re-purposed earings. Lord Ganesha is about 8 inches tall. Lord Hanuman is about 5 inches tall.

Peace!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Doll and Puppetry Art: Personal Work

Your Hanuman looks wonderful! I love the amount of work in the details you added such as the crown and the mace.

Your Ganesha looks wonderful too - to me, he appears a little 'strict' and kinda skinny - can't tell, so Hanuman is #1 but nevertheless, Ganesha looks wonderful too as I already said.

Great skills god has blessed you with!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Your Hanuman looks wonderful! I love the amount of work in the details you added such as the crown and the mace.

Your Ganesha looks wonderful too - to me, he appears a little 'strict' and kinda skinny - can't tell, so Hanuman is #1 but nevertheless, Ganesha looks wonderful too as I already said.

Great skills god has blessed you with!

Thank you for your compliments and the critique! I know from the first photo Ganesh does seem thin, doesn't he? Perhaps I will need to make him more Laddus? Did you see the attached photo? (I couldn't figure out how to resize them all correctly, so there is another image of Ganesh at the bottom)

I am hoping to tackle the challenge of Lord Krishna next.

God has blessed me, indeed. I try never to forget it.

Peace!

Vannakkam Jodhaa

I must say that your work is simply amazing. Lord Ganesha looks vibrant and happy, while Lord Hanuman looks serene and warrior-like. Besides, I love the intricate details and accessories on Them. You're very talented!

You've probably made almost all the main Gods already. Perhaps next you can try making Goddess Saraswati with her veena. Just a suggestion.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Amazing work, Jodhaa. I really loved Lord Hanuman's doll in particular. Wonderful crafting and detail.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam Jodhaa

You've probably made almost all the main Gods already. Perhaps next you can try making Goddess Saraswati with her veena. Just a suggestion.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Thanks Equinox!

Saraswati's veena would certainly be a fun fabrication project!

I have made a some of the "old gods" (Vedic Gods?). I don't know if that's an appropriate term for them so forgive me if that's a crude way to refer to them - I have made Agni and Vayu. Also I have made a personification of the River Ganges. These dolls are less culturally inspired as far as their look goes. They aren't adorned the same way as Ganesha and Hanuman.

The only other main Deva (or Devi I should say) that I have made is Sri Lakshmi, who is my profile picture. In the absence of a murti (I have not been able to afford one I like) she sits in my shrine to help me focus during meditation and prayer. It's not ideal, as it is probably too much of a flirtation with the ego, but I attempt to compensate by offering credit to God, where it is due

Thank you again for your kind words!
    Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    Amazing work, Jodhaa. I really loved Lord Hanuman's doll in particular. Wonderful crafting and detail.

Thank you, Obelisk! I appreciate you compliments!

Peace!

Namast,

These are so neat!

Agni and Vayu I would love to see; modern visual representations of the Vedic gods are pretty rare.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namast,

These are so neat!

Agni and Vayu I would love to see; modern visual representations of the Vedic gods are pretty rare.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    First off, sorry the images is so huge - I can't seem to get them to resize.
    As you can see, this these dolls are mostly just Agni and Vayu by name alone. They don't have a strong Indian influence. They could be any fire or wind deity really. But they have their own charm. I made these before the Hanuman and Ganesh, so was just starting to work with my new inspiration. One thing I love about Agni is that some of the beads in his arms are lava rock.

Vayu's belt is a re-purposed bracelet and his little bird friend is an old pin.

Now Ganga is a little more Indian inspired. She's very sweet.

Thanks for looking!

Namaste Jodhaa, these are wonderful! I love Hanuman in your doll! My goodness, what wonderful plays could be performed with these. Seriously, fantastic puppet plays for audiences who would love this! Your have mastery in you!

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information