Thread: What is the difference between LOVE and UNCONDITIONAL-LOVE ?

What is the difference between LOVE and UNCONDITIONAL-LOVE ?

Once a spiritual guru Q:nd his students
    Tell me the names of first five persons, in your relation, as you LOVE them in decreasing order.

ANSWERS:

Student 1st: Guru, parents, family members, relitives, everyone.
    Student 2nd: Guru, mother, father, sister, uncle.
    Student 3rd.....to.......12th answered similarly with slight difference as according to them.
    Student 13th: O my guru this is not the right Question, because one can LOVE only one not five or thousands,
    LOVE to five or more is not called LOVE.

Guru Replied: Listen everybody this is the Right Answer.

Anyhow this was a story, Here is my Q: to the respected forum members.

Waiting for your VALUABLE Comments,

Namaste by jasdir.

Re: What is the difference between LOVE and UNCONDITIONAL-LOVE ?

Vannakkam: Within Hinduism there might be various ways of explaining it, but within the English words, and western psychology, educational, or parenting books, it's quite simple., just by analysing the word 'unconditional', which means, 'having no conditions'. This means that the person doing the loving expects nothing in return. It is just a natural state, and any thoughts of having it returned in any way at all, including the earning of punya, make it 'conditional.

We also hear the term used in regard to giving, time, or money. We are asked to give unconditionally. I was reflecting on this just yesterday. You know when you find money? Imagine how long it takes before you forget. If its rupees 10, you may just stick it in your pocket and forget wthin a day or so. If it's rupees 1000, it will take longer. So the greater the amount, the longer it is before you drop any emotional attachment (forget) about it.

Now consider the same with giving, or loving. How long does it take you to forget that you gave? If after 20 years from now, you're still thinking, back in 2010 I helped purchase a cow back in India, then its not unconditional at all because you still are taking pride in it.

Sorry for rambling.

Aum Namasivaya

Talking Re: What is the difference between LOVE and UNCONDITIONAL-LOVE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Within Hinduism there might be various ways of explaining it, but within the English words, and western psychology, educational, or parenting books, it's quite simple., just by analysing the word 'unconditional', which means, 'having no conditions'. This means that the person doing the loving expects nothing in return. It is just a natural state, and any thoughts of having it returned in any way at all, including the earning of punya, make it 'conditional.

We also hear the term used in regard to giving, time, or money. We are asked to give unconditionally. I was reflecting on this just yesterday. You know when you find money? Imagine how long it takes before you forget. If its rupees 10, you may just stick it in your pocket and forget wthin a day or so. If it's rupees 1000, it will take longer. So the greater the amount, the longer it is before you drop any emotional attachment (forget) about it.

Now consider the same with giving, or loving. How long does it take you to forget that you gave? If after 20 years from now, you're still thinking, back in 2010 I helped purchase a cow back in India, then its not unconditional at all because you still are taking pride in it.

Sorry for rambling.

Aum Namasivaya
    Wonderfully explained...

Any good act without an expectation...is Nishkam seva...added with unconditional love(loving without expecting returns, accepting the other as they are) is the best sadhana one could do...

Both of Nishkam seva & unconditional love are difficult...but small efforts take one a long way!

namahshivaye..
    Blessed be!!

namaste.

The only person we have unconditional love for without ever learning it is the Self in us. With all other persons, even God, we have for most of the time, only ordinary love which is possessive and conditional.

One way to learn and practise altruistic love is to intellectually know, incessantly assert within our mind and increasingly realize that every person and non-human being has the identical Self, so why not just love a jIva for what it is, but then this is easier said than done.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by jasdir View Post
    Once a spiritual guru Q:nd his students
    Tell me the names of first five persons, in your relation, as you LOVE them in decreasing order.

ANSWERS:

Student 1st: Guru, parents, family members, relitives, everyone.
    Student 2nd: Guru, mother, father, sister, uncle.
    Student 3rd.....to.......12th answered similarly with slight difference as according to them.
    Student 13th: O my guru this is not the right Question, because one can LOVE only one not five or thousands,
    LOVE to five or more is not called LOVE.

Guru Replied: Listen everybody this is the Right Answer.

Anyhow this was a story, Here is my Q: to the respected forum members.

Waiting for your VALUABLE Comments,

Namaste by jasdir.
    I can not love anymore than one, because there is no more than one to love.

Each person in my life is loved with that equality of knowing...for truly the number is one and there is only this.

Unconditional love... I can speak of this much.

Such love can come in the middle of the night. When you've had less than an hour of sleep...and the child whom sits before you has a fever of 102...and is vomitting on you as you try to change their diaper which has leaked onto your own bed because of their severe illness...

and in that moment...instead of yelling...instead of even thinking of your own needs, you bend to that child and pick them up...poop, puke and all.

But the child often will reciprocate this love and affection and even if we do not do these things for a reward...the rewards are infinite.

Maybe then there is a better even more pure form of such things.

Perhaps it is when one who has severely insulted you is given the same love and compassion that you would give to your own family that we truly prove this understanding.

Each and every being within this manifested universe is merely another segment of Beloved...and when I feel that same love for those other portions, even those who have done so much against this portion...without absolutely any chance of reciprocation. That is truly a most unconditional love. Without any warrant, but the knowledge that only one is loved and one includes all.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

saideveo writes,

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste.

The only person we have unconditional love for without ever learning it is the Self in us.
    What saidevo says is grounded in the upaniṣads. Let me explain.

If one looks to the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad ( some write bṛhadaraṇyakopaniṣad ), maitreyi brāhmaṇa (vallī -or- section 4) confirms this.

Yajavalkya muni speaks to his wife maitreya ( as he is about to depart to the forest and take to saṃyas-āśrama).
    He says, It is not for the love of the husband my dear that the husband is dear to his wife, but for the love of the Self (ātman). Yajavalkya-ji points this out for the love of sons, wealth, worlds, gods, etc. as he expounds on 9 subjects. All this in essence is the love for the SELF.

praṇām

words
    saṃyas-āśrama - 1 of the 4 stages or halting places in life; To become the renunciant stage of saṃyāsa
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

its relative things,and depends upon the freeness or purity of the lover...AND THING IS one can love one-self AS ONLY ONE EXISTANCE IS THERE...EKAM-EBA-ADVITAM...if only one existance is there ......so he can love only him.as there are no second one exist.

more evolved a person,more unconditional his love to fellow loved ones.its quite simple that he can see his own self in his loved one"s than a lesser evolved person.

its called EXPANSION OF SELF...."AHAMTVA KI BIKASH".the more we free from bondage of illusion...more our consciousness and ego expands gradually to engulf entire universe.

thats why we see that highest love in BUDDHA,SANKAR etc..

jayaguru

's

Thread Information