Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translation Help

Translation Help

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 07:44 PM.

Re: Translation Help

You will find them in the online library in the link in my signature. Hope this helps.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: no longer hold this view; retracted; similar thread exists; HDF has Library for book recommendations and translation help

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Are there translations that are non-Shaiva and non-Iskcon and non-Vaishnava of these texts?

I want them in their original translation as much as possible with out any lens or perspective....
    I think I can understand the problem you are confronted with.
    Many times I have seen people say that they don't want to read, as they say, "sectarian" translations of scriptures because these translations are biased by concerned tradition or translator.
    Then they refuse to read concerned translation and take some other in the hope that this will not be "sectarian" or biased. However their hopes are just their folly.
    This is simply because there are no, to say, an unbiased or non-sectarian translations. Actually it is a fact.
    Suppose that you take some translation made by a translator who belongs to some tradition. So you can take a translation of some Upanishad made by advaitin who belongs to Advaita tradition, or you can take a translation of the same Upanishad made by some vaishnava who belongs to some particular tradition dvaita or visistadvaita or Gaudiya vaishnava or some other. What will you see?
    Most likely you will see that the translation is influenced by philosophy of this particular tradition. In each tradition translators think "we understand the true meaning of these verses", "we know what is real purport". Right?
    Or you can take a translation made by some scientist, Indologist. If this is the case, then you have to bear in mind that they translate with the help of old commentaries done in the past centuries by the commentators who belonged to certain traditions.
    Is there really an unbiased, non-sectarian translation?

Newbies often can not decide what to read. Some time ago I was talking about it here:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...720#post102720

So, if you're in search of some unbiased, non-sectarian translation, your search will most likely be in vain. It's not gonna happen.
    Search for the true, real rendering and purport of the scriptures can be a huge trouble and painstaking, and especially for a newbie. But life is like that.
    This is especially so for a newbie because a newbie can not critically evaluate the rendering and purport of the scriptures simply because he does not have enough knowledge to be able to do so.

In the hope that you will not stay newbie whole life, best wishes!

regards

Old way of doing things: study the texts and come to a conclusion

New way of doing things: ask for translations of texts that are not consistent with certain, predetermined, undesirable points of view. Then read those and profess knowledge of the "real scripture."

As an aside, I am just wondering - can anyone direct me to a non-Christian translation of the Bible? I just want to get an objective view of what the Bible teaches, without all that Christian interpretation.

Thanks,

- PR
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Many have arrived at our HDF site in the last several months and we welcome you all. Many have the desire of learning this culture and the desire to know its ways, pūja-s, etc.

One simple thing you can consider for infusing this culture into your actions is starting here with your posts. A 'hello' or namasté , or a saluation of greeting. And at the end a thank you, or praṇām , or dhanyavāda. Why do so? It sets the tone for the conversation.

This may seem trite but we're simple people and we greet each other with respect. These are our customs.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Are there translations that are non-Shaiva and non-Iskcon and non-Vaishnava of these texts?
    Are you by any chance looking for translations by Western Christians who do not believe in Hindu gods, and would give you a totally unbiased version? Unfortunately, they would have to team up with a Hindu Sanskrit scholar and also depend on the previously available translations/commentaries. So, their translations too would be biased one way or the other.

The ability to be able to read Sanskrit does not in itself provide us with the true spiritual knowledge contained in the shalokas. That is why we need the Acharayas/Gurus, who are of higher spiritual caliber than the ranting HDF'ers, or secular Sanskrit scholars to provide us with the spiritual content of the scriptures. A mere translation would be like a lifeless, dead body of the original shalokas. A spiritual person would put some life into the meaning of shalokas. So, it is futile to expect spiritual knowledge from people who are only capable of producing dead bodies.

Pranam.

To Believer's excellent comments, I would also add: when you translate something, especially Sanskrit, you are taking a position on something. Many words have multiple potential meanings, and in order to arrive at the correct meaning, one will have to understand the text and both the local and global context. Thus, if one is translating a text, he is no longer "neutral" in the sense that he is now committing himself to a particular point of view.

I'm always amused by requests of the form, "Please tell me where I can find an objective translation, and not translations by sectarian organization X. I don't know Sanskrit, but I know that X is fanatical, fundamentalist, and gives inauthentic translations. So, please, no translations that reflect the views of X." Often, the ideas objected to by the requester are quite clearly in the text even as per multiple translators, but because they do not like those ideas, they think that simply changing translators will give them a more "objective" view.
    Last edited by philosoraptor; 09 July 2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Sri Aurobindo's Life Divine is a good summary of all upanishads

Namaste

Upanishads are a mixture of sand and sugar, says Sri Ramakrishna. There are 2 small upanishads, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsopanishad and Sri Aravindopanishad, respectively by Swami Harshananda of Sri Ramakrishna Mission and Sri Aurobindo Himself. Both together cost less than Indian Rs 20. It is a fantastic place to start. No danger of confusion.

There is also a downloadable commentary on Isha Upanishads by Sri Aurobindo. There is an epub version of Sri Aurobindo's writings on Upanishads. If you read Sri Aurobindo's works, you will be clarified and enlarged. For one, He discusses all points of view, and then presents His position. He was a realized Sage, a scholar in Sanskrit and Latin and for those who may not know, He even said that His consciousness was that of Supermind which was even Higher than the Overmind of Lord Krishna, and that this Supermind was indicated in Upanishads here and there and while in Alipore jail, Swami Vivekananda appeared in a vision and showed Him the opening to Supermind.

Again, His Life Divine text summarizes all upanishads and all teachings of Shankara, Ramanuja, Madhva, Buddha, Mahavira and then presents His own position. Only requirement is to know classical English, may be, one may have to sit down with a huge English dictionary.

Incidentally, Bible has been discussed at length by Paramahamsa Yogananda and His Master Sri Sri Yukteswar Giri.

Regards
    Ra K Sankar

Namaste.

For more direct translations of the Holy Scriptures without any bias, I recommend those translated by The Divine Life Society and Swami Shivananda, or translated by the Ramakrishna Mission.

Like this one:

http://www.dlshq.org/download/bgita.pdf

I hope this assists you.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information