Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thought watching

Re: Thought watching

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

How do you watch your thoughts and ward-off negatives from it? I have been practicing it for sometime, while I am aware of and try to keep away negative emotions, still, sometimes the emotions are too powerful (as when someone disses you for no wrong on your part) that you are bound to react.
    Namaste Viraja ji,

I see several great answers. I would like to offer a traditional Vaiṣṇava approach that I don't think has been mentioned yet, one that I personally think is helpful and requires little more than practicing changes in one's perspective. My primary source of information about this method is the book Vaiṣṇavism: Its Philosophy, Theology, and Religious Discipline by S.M. Srinivasa Chari, but I've supplemented it with information from other sources.

A Vaiṣṇava can practice patience when receiving harsh words, because she or he sees the truth of the situation in three ways. First, the harsh words are directed as his/her body and mind, which is not our true nature, not who we really are, not the soul. In essence the jīva or soul is a knower composed of uncontracted, limitless awareness, which is suppressed until liberation according to Śrī Rāmānujācārya (see for example Gītā Bhāṣya 6.32). It is an eternal mode (prakāra) or modification and part (aṁśa) of Brahman. One cultivates the perspective that one is not the mind and body that is subjected to insults or that the insults are not directed at our true selves. Second, the person who is hostile to us is only acting out of ignorance, creating negative karma that will ripen in suffering. The Vaiṣṇava recognizes this and looks upon this unhappy person with compassion, as Vaiṣṇavas are advised to do in the Viṣṇu Purāṇa. Third, the harsh words are a karmic echo, the return of our own negative past speech. A Vaiṣṇava practices acceptance of this fruition of past karma in order to allow the results of past negative karma to arise and cease without contributing to more of it. In this way a "negative" situation (from the ordinary perspective) is a positive way to lessen the karmic burden or pay old debts. One can rejoice at this opportunity for removing karma and see the hostile person as an instrument of God.

Additionally, a difficult deed becomes easier if it is done selflessly, purely for God, by God's grace, and accepting God as the doer. Śrī Rāmānujācārya encourages this attitude toward our actions in his Gītā Bhāṣya (see for example G.B. 3.30).

I hope that this is helpful to someone.

praṇām
    Last edited by anucarh; 23 October 2014 at 06:49 PM.
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    A Vaiṣṇava can practice patience when receiving harsh words, because she or he sees the truth of the situation in three ways. First, the harsh words are directed as his/her body and mind, which is not our true nature, not who we really are, not the soul. In essence the jīva or soul is a knower composed of uncontracted, limitless awareness, which is suppressed until liberation according to Śrī Rāmānujācārya (see for example Gītā Bhāṣya 6.32). It is an eternal mode (prakāra) or modification and part (aṁśa) of Brahman. One cultivates the perspective that one is not the mind and body that is subjected to insults or that the insults are not directed at our true selves. Second, the person who is hostile to us is only acting out of ignorance, creating negative karma that will ripen in suffering. The Vaiṣṇava recognizes this and looks upon this unhappy person with compassion, as Vaiṣṇavas are advised to do in the Viṣṇu Purāṇa. Third, the harsh words are a karmic echo, the return of our own negative past speech. A Vaiṣṇava practices acceptance of this fruition of past karma in order to allow the results of past negative karma to arise and cease without contributing to more of it.
    Traditional VaishNav dharma nicely explained. It is wonderful and very important to have this compiled on the thread.

Now if we think for a moment,

-- some may say this dharma is very sweet, gentle, logical and all, but it is hard to practice on the spur of the moment. That is so when in the world, and to some extent attached to it.

-- did the vrajavAsI (residents of Vraja i.e. GokuL-VRndAvan-MathurA) do this exercise? i.e. The insult was hurled at the mind and body, not at me, I must feel compassion, they are a karma-burning instrument, KRshNa lives in their heart etc. etc.
    Why or why not? The vraja gopa-gopi did not have time to think about themselves. They were too engrossed in KRshNa's happiness, the center of their heart and soul. In Love of KRshNa, and His divinity.

If someone hurled insults at them, humiliated, bullied, cheated, mistreated them, they did not even notice. You become dumb in love. They were too busy thinking of Govinda Damodara MAdhavA! As a result they loved everybody. It is easier to be nice, very hard to be otherwise.

Instead of shouting "Dahi for Sale!" "Milk!!" "Fresh butter!!!" "Sweed Curd!!!"
    Involuntarily and innocently they shouted in the market : "Govinda!!" "Damodar!!" "MAdhava!!"
    They were grounded, lived through insults, accusations, even beatings, but that did not matter because their lakshya - focus was Shri KRshNa.

This has been explained beautifully, and written on the pages of history as follows:

vikretukAmAkhila gopa kanyA
    murAri-pAdArpita chitta vRttihi
    dadhyAdikam mohavashAdavochad
    Govinda dAmorada mAdhaveti

- Govinda DAmodar Stotra

The cowherd maidens (gopa kanyA) had only mAdhav in their thoughts all day. Their attention, attitude and disposition was aligned and offered at the Lotus Feet of the destroyer of demon mUra (i.e. KRshNa) (murAri-pAdArpita chitta-vRttI)
    Being thus engrossed, instead of selling the dahi and other goods (dadhya Adikam) they had brought to the market, they shouted Govinda Damodara Madhava iti (thus, etc.)

Day in and day out they did their duties and were intoxicated with love of Govinda, so that they did not distinguish between friend or foe, hot or cold, dry or wet, stone or gold... What does KRshNa say about that in the Gita? Sthita-pradnya munI ; bramha-bhUyAya kalpate ; eshA brAmhI sthitI pArtha...

Govinda Damodara MAdhaveti ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 23 October 2014 at 11:01 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Thank you for the wonderful reply, Amrut bhai. It was very enlightening and refreshing to read your reply, and also I felt very happy that we have among us someone as young (as you) and as deeply thinking, insightful and devoted as you. If you remember, sometime back in the thread I posted on Shri Hanuman and Shri Rama, I did tell you I noticed a subtle change in my own emotional constitution. I used to be way too sensitive and emotionally dense that even minor upsets used to cause an emotional reaction in me. This quality has been improving, not that I am getting thick-skinned, but emotionally more stable and calmer, I have been doing my daily sadhana for nearly 4 yrs now... I think this helps. I will continue with nama japa and sadhana, as adviced by you.
    Namaste,

Viraja di, I am Happy to know that you have gained better control than earlier over your emotions

If you want to watch the thoughts, then try to find the origin of the sound of mantra i.e. search from where the mantra is originating. In this way, you will have a habit of detaching with thoughts also. You will feel immense peace and bliss which has a long lasting effect. This feeling will continue after meditation and will help you throughout the day.

Once you are able to detach, then thoughts will seem to have little power and you can be in control of your emotions. As we chant God's name, sattva guNa increases. When one wakes up early in the morning and chants God's name, tamasa guNa will be automatically decreased. As mental agitation decreases (by the power of rAma nAma), peace will naturally flow. % of sattva guNa will gradually increase and you will be altogether a new personality. The thing that is surprising is that the change is so natural (sahaj) that you wont even notice that you have changed. Benefit of surrender is that you wont take the credit of your spiritual progress upon yourself.

No matter whichever path you follow, you will have to change your perspective about this world and increase the importance of God in your life. Always have a feeling - God exits, ISvara hai (in hindi), you will feel he is near you.

Do not worry about anger. It is not negative. What makes it negative is our intention. Problem comes when we hold on to anger after the incident is over and pledge to hit back at appropriate time. After the incident is over, anger disappears very fast.

Accepting everyone 'as it is' will solve most problems Not interfering in others personal matters, having little or no expectations help a lot

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

I would like to add that as we live in samAja (society), we will have to take tough stands, argue, fight for justice. There is no harm in it. Living 100 % spiritual life is difficult.

Except bhagavAn brahmA ji, all other devatA-s including rAma and kruShNa hold weapons. They indicate us to fight. We cant keep waiting for an avatar to wipe out evil minded ones. So fight, but for defence, for self protection, invest money for safety. As you will progress, the faith in God will increase and a time will come when you will no more care about your own body. Now things have changed. You have given all your insurance to your beloved God and it is now his responsibility to take care of your body and no matter what happens faith will not decrease. But until you reach this state where there is Suddha sattva, one must act according to situation. Only for some persons living 100 % spiritual life or for those who have been specifically advised by their guru not to react, should practice it.

Else, the result will be reverse. Mind is not capable of absorbing insults, yet you do not speak out or even share with any one. So you may either suffer from low self-esteem or you have you will take everything negatively, as you are irritated and frustrated of not being able to hit back.

So the better option is to react and become cool Of course you are already walking on spiritual path trying to control your lower emotions. But if you have desires and strongly desire an object, yet you cannot get it, then there will be disappointment, dejection, etc. That is why, we have astrology, where a pandit will give you gem stones ask you to undergo some vrata-s, as they materialize fast. We are suffering because of our own past actions, still we complain. Until we become mature enough and purify our mind so much so that it can stay without family, friends, and is least bothered for our own body, we must live a 'general life' and not a life of a 'saint'.

Bhakti, having strong faith in God is not very easy. We can keep talking, but still we know the truth. So why not accept this fact and start walking.

A little ego, a little self-centeredness is necessary to survive in todays life so that people will not take undue advantage of us. We dont want to harm any one. Sin is that which is done with the intention of harming others, not in self defence, alas our dharma smirti-s are forgotten. parASara smriti says a widow can remarry. The reason is that is the fire of passion is still strong, better marry her. Not all live spiritual life.

To cut short, until faith in God increases to such an extend that you do not care about the world and your own body, life a normal life - work, enjoy with family, have fun, relax, etc and take necessary steps so as to survive in the world we live in.

Just like rules of householder do not apply to a monk, all these rules of fighting, investments, re marriages, etc do not apply when your mind will be that of a 'sanyAsin'.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thank you, Anucarh, Smaranam ji and Amrut bhai for your wonderful replies. I am sure not only I benefit from your kind messages but also readers do. I appreciate such thoughtful replies.

Smaranam ji, what you have written brings out so much love and devotion for the divine. You are a blessed devotee!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

(I've changed my mind about the importance of the point I was making in this post. It no longer seems important to me, so I've deleted it. -anucarḥ)
    Last edited by anucarh; 25 October 2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: changed my mind about my post
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    (I've changed my mind about the importance of the point I was making in this post. It no longer seems important to me, so I've deleted it. -anucarḥ)
    You had made some good points, Anucarh. There was no need to delete the post. Hare KRshNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Friends,
    Namasthe!

... A good exercise would be to watch the thought stream that leads you to agree with or disagree with the discussions !!

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information