Thread: Devotion

Devotion

Hey I would just like some help in regards to devotion? I immerse myself in studying Hinduism all the time, and I also talk to the lord as a friend, as a student, as well every relationship that is possible to have with the divine. However I don't really do much devotion-wise.
    The only thing I do is when I feel like it listen to Mantra's and chant them also, I'm more indulged in the philosophy for now lets say, but I wish to begin showing my humble thanks and connect with the lord more.
    I met somebody at a temple and he told me I should start with chanting Hare Krishna, 2 hours a day? Is that really necessary?
    Oh and I only visit the temple maybe 2-4 times in a year, I always thought that god is everywhere so I don't really need to go, which is true - but after learning from these forums I can understand the benefits so I will start visiting much more often.

I'm not sure where to start. I know one thing I will do is record some devotional songs, like mantras perhaps after learning the vedic meter. Any ideas? Do I have to pray to shiva in excess of 2 hours?

Re: Devotion

Namaste.

Let me relate to you a story about devotion, then you decide:

Sage Narada thought that he was a great devotee.

Once Lord Krishna said, Narada, there is one farmer on earth who is a greater devotee than you. Narada doubted this and came down to earth to see the peasant in person. He found that the farmer would chant the Lords Name only three times a day. How could he be a greater devotee than I? thought Narada. Upon returning, he mentioned his doubt to the Lord.

The Lord gave him a small vessel filled to the brim with oil and asked Narada to keep it on his head and go round a particular hill without spilling even a drop of it.

When Narada returned after finishing the round, the Lord asked, How many times did you chant My Name in between?

Narada thought and was surprised to discover that he had not remembered the Lords Name even once because his attention had been fully concentrated on keeping the vessel of oil steady so as not to spill it.

The Lord smilingly said, Now do you understand what a great devotee that farmer is? Even in the midst of his toilsome work, thrice he is remembering Me, is he not?
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste Touched - Thats a lovely little story my brother, thanks.

Vanakkam: If a devotee chants or worships 10 hours a day, neglecting all other duties, such as a contribution to society, raising of children, providing for family, etc., then I believe there has been some misunderstanding of 'everything in moderation' teachings.

In fact the argument could be made that it is indeed adharmic. but of course that may vary with individual circumstances.

I personally know two couples who got divorced at least partially because one of the spouses got too religious, if that makes sense.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

IMHO, Daily Swadhyaya is important. It's a place to start. If you're into philosophy, then this should be right up your alley.

Personally I'm not sure that chanting for 2 hours a day (to start) is such a great idea. If you find a mantra that you are drawn to, your mind will automatically chant it with little effort. But to sit down with mala for 2 hours to start? Let the love for Lord grow. Seems as if you're already on that road just by the desire of wanting it more in your life.

Devotion? You state that you wish to show your humble thanks and connect with the lord more. Maybe take a moment to see the Lord in everything - yourself included! Just a small suggestion that can pay big rewards.

In terms of visiting temple, it's not for everyone but I do encourage you to go as often as possible. Just by taking darshan of the lord, your love and devotion will grow one thousand fold. I know this from personal experience to be fact.

All the best to you!

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Thread Information