Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know a good English translation of Ramayana?

Anyone know a good English translation of Ramayana?

So I've decided that I'd like to read the Ramayana. And I don't want to simply read a paraphrase or summary, like what we all heard as kids. I'm looking for an English translation of the entire text. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone know a good English translation of Ramayana?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Thanks! Are either of these translations available in print?

namaste Sanjaya.

Gita Press has a 2-volume publication on VAlmIki RAmAyaNa with Sanskrit text followed by its summary English translation (no phrasewise translation):
    http://www.gitapress.org/Search_By_C...&Mv=First+Page
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

The first link is only an online edition. The other is available at the Gitapress.

The Ramayana is a true story and the embodiment of Vedanta. Initially narrated by Lord Brahma to Sage Narada who then narrated it to Rishi Valmiki. He was told by Lord Brahma to write down the glory of Lord Rama who is GOD himself and that Saga Narada will narrate it to him.

Valmiki's narration was in Sanskrit and contained the full info. But in Kaliyug not many have Sanskrit knowledge so Rishi Valmiki reincarnated as Tulsidas-Ji and wrote Ramcharitramanas in Awdhi Hindi language. All other translations are the same as Valmiki's, except it's translation and explanation is different just as there is only 1 Bhagavad Gita but different Vedic scholars interpret it differently just so that the masses may understand better. The meanings never change.

Ramcharitramanas is all you need for Bhakti and spiritual wisdom.

Here's the link to the soft copy of Tulsidas-Ji's Ramcharitramanas. U may find minor translation errors so pls do ignore it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6004670/Th...acharitamanasa

Valmiki's Ramayana in three volumes was translated very well by H.P. Shastri. It is still in print by Shanti Sadan.

Namaste,

Valmiki's Ramayana in three volumes was translated very well by H.P. Shastri.
    Hopefully this is not treated as a Necro behavior.

I recently bought (print version) the Gita press translation. A very good work indeed. But in comparison I feel, H.P. Shastri's translation is lucid.

Some one had commented in the past that it is hard to get Gita press printed books outside India. More over only scanned pages of Gita press translation are available on the public domain (which might be difficult to read).

Good news is a searchable pdf version of H.P. Shastri's translation is available in the public domain.

I am using H.P. Shastri's translation as a supporting text to understand Gita press translation.

Hope this information may be use to Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu Bhaktas
    Anirudh...

Being a sacred day 13 Oct. 2013 of triumph of good over evil - is there a passage or two within Valmiki's Ramayana that is good to recite?

I only have and can read only the English of HP Shastri's version, so if a reference to at least the chapter & kanda is given it would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Being a sacred day 13 Oct. 2013 of triumph of good over evil - is there a passage or two within Valmiki's Ramayana that is good to recite?

I only have and can read only the English of HP Shastri's version, so if a reference to at least the chapter & kanda is given it would be helpful.
    Namaste,

I was suggested by well wishers that reading Sundara Kaandam is auspicious all the time. Here I am posting a link which explains it. Refer Step 4. It has got a very detailed information.

This youtube channel has the entire sundara kandam chapter wise.

From the link I gave above, you can decide a particular chapter based on your satisfaction. Then you can listen to the respective chapter (Sanskrit Sloka) from you tube followed by reading the text you have.

May Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu help you in your quest.....

Feel free to ask if you face any issues in accessing the links I gave...
    Anirudh...

Thread Information