Thread: Japa Questions...

Japa Questions...

Hari Om!

First - The mala that I use is about 18" long. Sadhaks at the ashram I will be visiting use a bead bag that is shaped like an upside-down "L" and I do have one myself. Two problems. The bag is not big enough though it is as large as the one others are using and I cannot find one larger. The beads on the mala are held together by a silver chain and it tends to twist together and bunch up, more so when in a bag. I do not use a bag whilst in my own meditation space and never have but have always been corrected that the proper protocol is to use the bead bag in public. Any help here?

Also, what has been labeled as "machine gun" japa or the fast repetition of a mantra, perhaps even super fast has always been frowned on upon my first introduction to chanting. These days however I am finding it useful in that it keeps that mind focused on the mantra and because of the speed does not allow others thoughts to intrude. Eventually the repetition slows and the focus on mantra remains. I feel peaceful like never before and as if am making some inroads here. Any feedback or has anyone used a similar approach? Insights?

As always, I value your input, thoughts and guidance.

Om

Re: Japa Questions...

Dear c.smith ji,
    Typically its advised that one should slowly reduce the pace of japa... initially some people find it more convenient to have a higher pace. That's one view.

But I look at this slightly differently. Whats a mantra ? Mananat trayate iti mantrah ... a mantra is that which saves, trayate , upon mananam . Mananam means reflection. Its a formula for reflection, not merely repetition.

We will be able to really appreciate this if we understand the overall functioning of mind. If you can see this with me, lets together appreciate something very beautiful - something that can really change our outlook towards meditation and japa as a whole!

Scriptures state : You are Purnah, Complete, Fulfilled. But what we experience in life is apurnata , incompleteness or some sort of lacking. I lack, this feeling is our fundamental problem. I lack money, I lack peace of mind, I lack concentration ,I lack bhakti... "I Lack"... the fundamental undertone.
    And scriptures state exactly the opposite: You are Purnah, Complete. Now! Not that you can become "Purnah". You ARE.
    so there seems to be gap somewhere, isnt it ?

On the one hand there are the scriptures that state ... You lack nothing.
    And then there are our own experiences which seem to say "I Lack".
    and then there are gurus who say "You lack now ... but you can discover that you lack nothing by practising my method" LOL!

Do we see this clearly ?

Now if you are with me till now ... Here is a question:
    Can you Lack Anything Without a Thought ?

Obviously "NO"! So some people say "Therefore the path to Purnatvam is eliminating thoughts" ! This is more like saying "You can remove headache by removing the head".

Having understood that we need the help of thoughts to feel any sense of lacking ... we appreciate that its thought that prompts us to do various practices. Why ? Because I need concentration. I lack and this lacking can be eliminated by a practice.

Do we see this ?

I lack single pointedness of mind ... so ill do japa to gain single pointedness.

Lets now invert this question and ask ... why do you lack single pointedness ?

If you can solve this ... japa becomes so simple that you sit and you are here and now resolved !!

I would like to give you some time to think over this ... and then we may proceed from there ...

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information