Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want to adopt hinduism.

i want to adopt hinduism.

I am interested in Hinduism.few days back,I saw a dream at night.I saw that,I went to a temple n offered pooja to a Hindu goddess.I thought it was just a dream.but,from the next day,I feel a great interest n feeling for Hinduism.I then saw some pooja.I was very amused to see those.I now feel that I need to be a part of Hinduism.it will give me the right path n peace.I want to start pooja as soon as possible.I believe that,the dream was a message for me to be a Hindu.now,plz tell me am I doing right?how to be a Hindu?

Re: i want to adopt hinduism.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté pooja lover

One place you can begin is with our customs.

We are considered a sadācārin¹ when a post begins with a welcome, a hello, some preamble to his/her post that is well received by our HDF members. Please consider starting off your post with a hello, or a namasté , or some salutation.

It is our custom here to do this...we ask you to join in.

iti śivaṁ

words
    • sadācāra - virtuous conduct , good manners , well conducted, well mannered
      • sad = sat - good or honest or wise or respectable people
      • ācāra = conduct , manner of action , behavior , good behavior , good conduct
    • Hence the sadācārin is one having "having pure, bright, good conduct "
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by pooja lover View Post
    I am interested in Hinduism.few days back,I saw a dream at night.I saw that,I went to a temple n offered pooja to a Hindu goddess.I thought it was just a dream.but,from the next day,I feel a great interest n feeling for Hinduism.I then saw some pooja.I was very amused to see those.I now feel that I need to be a part of Hinduism.it will give me the right path n peace.I want to start pooja as soon as possible.I believe that,the dream was a message for me to be a Hindu.now,plz tell me am I doing right?how to be a Hindu?
    Vannakkam and welcome to HDF. If you provide a bit of background information, like which religion yiou are now, etc., we may be able to help you more. But the best way to start, in my opinion, is just to read more about Hinduism to see if it really is something you would like to do.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

Since it appears you are in India, you have many opportunities to visit a temple. Actually, I live in an area in California where there are lots of opportunities to visit temples as well, but you may have even more opportunities.

I like your dream, if I were you not only would I have a pooja for Devi, but I would go to a number of Devi Temples right away on every opportunity to have darshan.

I would keep a Devi picture, if you do not already have one.

Do you drive a car? Own a car? If so, I would keep a Devi picture in your car (watch the road, however!).

Experiencing Hinduism is Hinduism. There is lots to experience.

Enjoy!

Om Namah Sivaya

I am now a Hindu.officially,I have converted to Hinduism in arya samaj mandir.I have gone through shuddhi karma n then I became a Hindu.I have applied for a Hindu name.I am proud to be a Hindu.after conversion,I went to a temple for pooja for the first time.it was a memorable experience.the pundit ji of the temple congratulated me n taught me many things about Hinduism n pooja.he introduced me to other devotee who came to offer pooja on that time.all congratulated me.I was very glad.that day is the most memorable day of my life.I want to be a true Hindu.

Quote Originally Posted by pooja lover View Post
    I am now a Hindu.officially,I have converted to Hinduism in arya samaj mandir.I have gone through shuddhi karma n then I became a Hindu.I have applied for a Hindu name.I am proud to be a Hindu.after conversion,I went to a temple for pooja for the first time.it was a memorable experience.the pundit ji of the temple congratulated me n taught me many things about Hinduism n pooja.he introduced me to other devotee who came to offer pooja on that time.all congratulated me.I was very glad.that day is the most memorable day of my life.I want to be a true Hindu.
    Vannakkam: Very nice. Welcome back to Hinduism. Thank goodness for the Arya Samaj who recognised in 1928 or so how conversion would be the end of us if it was only a one way street.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar,

Indeed, welcome back to Hinduism, Pooja Lover ji. It is good to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Thank goodness for the Arya Samaj who recognised in 1928 or so how conversion would be the end of us if it was only a one way street.
    What I find interesting is how many people - both friends and new acquaintances - one of the first things they say when they find out I practice and am actively seeking is, "You know you cannot convert..." or something along those lines.

If I reply it is usually to agree that it is true, because Sanata Dharma applies to everyone regardless of what they practice or believe. Some agree, some don't reply. But I do wonder why the consistent comment to begin with? It's curious.

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar,

Indeed, welcome back to Hinduism, Pooja Lover ji. It is good to hear.

What I find interesting is how many people - both friends and new acquaintances - one of the first things they say when they find out I practice and am actively seeking is, "You know you cannot convert..." or something along those lines.

If I reply it is usually to agree that it is true, because Sanata Dharma applies to everyone regardless of what they practice or believe. Some agree, some don't reply. But I do wonder why the consistent comment to begin with? It's curious.

~Pranams
    Vannakkam: Personally, I think it originated as a false doctrine from other more proselytizing faiths. I hear it more form non-Hindus than from Hindus. One way to keep your own is to tell them they can't convert. I also believe it's been propalgated (sp??) for the same reason. Hindus have always allowed converts.

I know it's out there and I still encounter it occasionally. Even the other night at our temple, after 30 years, I got that 'stare`. Then the young chap asked, 'Do you come here to worship Gods?` He seemed like a temporary worker from India, and I may have been the first white Hindu he'd ever seen. Not sure if he ever did get his head around it. But once the doubters see you doing and practising, most soon get it out of their minds.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 29 March 2014 at 06:36 PM.

Namaste,

Personally to me it doesn't even feel like a conversion, but rather a realization. A conversion implies a change in beliefs, whereas I didn't have to change my belief system to embrace Hinduism. I have learned many things and grown in the process, but I don't feel like I have changed from one belief system to another, but rather that I am discovering what it is that I have always been. If that makes sense.

Aum Namah Sivaya!
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    But I do wonder why the consistent comment to begin with? It's curious.
    It's funny you call it "curious". Instead, I rather find those that blindly repeat it as perfect examples of how rumors start and [eventually may and sometimes do] become "facts".

This myth goes back to the initial, and middle, days of the Colonial Era. It was first promulgated by various Christian Missionary groups - until it became solidified after Hindus, themselves, accepted it as unquestionable fact.

Heliodorus was 100% Greek. Was White as they come. Okay, fine...he may have been a little tan. But, you get my point.

He converted to Vaishnavism.

Numerous others have converted, and have been converting, ever since. Julia Roberts, for example. She's as Hindu as they come. A devotee-in-dharma.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 30 March 2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added link

Thread Information