Thread: Decided to Convert + Some Questions

Decided to Convert + Some Questions

Namaste!

After over a year of exploring the Eternal Path off and on, I've decided to convert. There are no temples near where I live, so I guess for now it will be an informal conversion.

I'm going the Bhakti Yoga route and I think my ishta is Lalitha (I guess? I like goddesses.)

Now I have a couple questions.

1. Could somebody explain physical purity on the Path? It's still not 100% clear to me.

I'm female, so naturally I menstruate. I know that I can't do puja during menstruation, but is mala japa allowed? Or should I stick with reading scripture and meditating during this time of month?

2. How do I introduce myself to the forms of God that most appeal to me? Sure, God knows everybody, but it just seems like manners to me.

3. I have access to or have read the Devi Gita, Narada's Bhakti Sutra, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Devi Mahatmyam, and the Lalitha Sahasranama. What other texts might I look into?

4. I'd like to pick a mantra from the Lalitha Sahasranama, but is that okay? And how do I do it? Do I just pick a name that's most appealing and slap it between "Aum" and "namaha"? Should I just chant "Aum" for a few weeks/months first?

Thanks, everyone.

Senebty, may you be healthy.
    All these things shine.
    May you shine, too!

Re: Decided to Convert + Some Questions

Namaste SatBast

Quote Originally Posted by SatBast
    1. Could somebody explain physical purity on the Path? It's still not 100% clear to me. I'm female, so naturally I menstruate. I know that I can't do puja during menstruation, but is mala japa allowed? Or should I stick with reading scripture and meditating during this time of month?
    There are some regulations for that matter in the scriptures, but I think it is enough for you to adhere to basic hygienic principles. In whatever state that a person is, pure or impure, health or illness, happiness or distress, etc, it is important to think of the Lord always and continue with the spiritual effort (japa, reading, meditating). This is most important of all.

2. How do I introduce myself to the forms of God that most appeal to me? Sure, God knows everybody, but it just seems like manners to me.
    You can introduce yourself to God (Goddess) to put the image of God (Goddess) in front of you (can be in the book) and then with folded palms (it's a gesture of offering respect) introduce yourself.

I'm going the Bhakti Yoga route ...
    3. I have access to or have read the Devi Gita, Narada's Bhakti Sutra, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Devi Mahatmyam, and the Lalitha Sahasranama. What other texts might I look into?
    For the study of bhakti, Vaishnavas consider Bhagavad gita and Srimad Bhagavatam (google about it) with commentaries by vaishnava teachers (acaryas) the most important.

4. I'd like to pick a mantra from the Lalitha Sahasranama, but is that okay? And how do I do it? Do I just pick a name that's most appealing and slap it between "Aum" and "namaha"? Should I just chant "Aum" for a few weeks/months first?
    There are many mantras. Some consist of the holy names of God and some do not. Holy names of God are the most powerful for spiritual progress. The best is to pronounce the holy names of God whether in the form of mantras or independently (for example Narayana, Krishna, Rama, Shiva, Durga, etc). You can pronounce even without "Aum" and "namaha".
    It is said that the greatest spiritual power is in the names of Vishnu (Narayana, Krishna, Rama, Vishnu etc; Note: it is said in the scriptures that Krishna is the most powerful of all names), but other names are also spiritually powerful and you can repeatedly pronounce them (Shiva, Ganesha, Surya, Durga, etc.).
    You should be aware that all these names are actually the names of the Supreme being, Brahman or the Supreme Lord. These names are actually not only the names of certain gods and goddesses (Surya or the Sun god, Shiva and his consort, etc) but all these are the names of the Supreme being, Brahman.

Vaishnavas utter only mantras and names that consist of the names of Vishnu, such as Narayana mantra or Hare Krishna maha mantra.

regards

Namaskar SatBast ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by SatBast View Post
    I'm female, so naturally I menstruate. I know that I can't do puja during menstruation, but is mala japa allowed? Or should I stick with reading scripture and meditating during this time of month?
    Like many things, this seems in my experience to be more of personal and sectarian beliefs, and translated accordingly. I understand there is scriptural basis for it, but I have also been told these bases are grounded in cultural history and a need for hygiene and keeping health in times and places where it can be, and/or was, difficult to keep modern standards of the same.
    I say this because two good friends of mine are from family lineages who practice worship of Sri Mata Devi and neither family subscribes to the belief of no puja, mantra or japa during their monthly flow. One friend is a bit uncomfortable about it sometimes and gets lectured from her Mom why she shouldn't be.

Both families are from different regions and worship different forms of Mata Di. One family will go to their Temple as the Temple's stance is it's natural and not an 'impurity', but simply stresses hygiene and cleanliness, the other family doesn't. Both will still practice puja, japa and meditation at home in their home prayer and meditations rooms. Both believe reciting mantra and/or japa should be done at this time either mentally or in whisper. One friend's personal preference is she doesn't practice if she's feeling overly emotional/hormonal on any given day during this time, as she feels it blocks her and could cause more problems. The other does because she finds it calming, clarifying and stabilizing at a time she needs that most. The main thing they both say, as Brahma Jijnasa ji states above, is keeping extra care for hygiene - physical, emotional and mental - at this time.

What I relate here are the personal experiences and beliefs/practices from good friends. I am aware they have both family tradition and scriptural basis for their practice, but I cannot quote it or say where to find it as I don't really follow their paths so haven't asked for specifics, but I found it interesting and nice. Personally, I don't subscribe to the strict ideals of 'pure' and 'impure'. Of course I take care to respect the beliefs and practices/traditions of the Temple I frequent and any I visit, and also the beliefs and traditions of friends - if I don't know what they are I default to the strict traditions regardless of my personal belief. And I keep excellent hygiene at all times and try to treat my body as well as I would a sacred space. But in my belief all is God - most especially natural and life/death forces.

I understand the desire to do things correctly from the start, I feel the same. But I have been finding that there are a lot of different interpretations, practices and beliefs, especially in matters that seem to have been based on cultural or sectarian interpretation and grounded in the need for hygiene and health standards at times and places where modern standards of hygiene were/are not as possible. It seems best to just be aware, be hygienic, be respectful of others' requirements when you go out somewhere, and to otherwise when at home do what you feel most strongly is correct.

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste everyone!

Thanks for your input, especially on the purity question. Every religion treats this differently (sometimes sects of the same religion will treat it differently!) and it's nice to get some perspective on it.

Senebty, may you be healthy.
    All these things shine.
    May you shine, too!

Thread Information