Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hindus - An alternative history

The Hindus - An alternative history

A book under the above name written by Wendy Boniger is banned in India. However the book is available in the website in the following link

https://ia700604.us.archive.org/28/i...dy-Doniger.pdf

While we may not fully agree with the views of the author, I earnestly feel that there is nothing wrong in reading it.
    'Let Noble Thoughts come to us from all sides' – Rigveda 1-89-i.

Cool Re: The Hindus - An alternative history

Quote Originally Posted by RVR View Post
    I earnestly feel that there is nothing wrong in reading it.
    Namaste , Are you sure that there is nothing wrong in it ?

I shout here " No one should read that book " . If someone read it ,
    he will surely commit a sin of insulting vedic gods. Then the door of hell wouldn't be far away.

What she has done is complete distortion of Hindu Scriptures . Her language is very abusive and adult . If you read it , you will confuse yourself that whether you're reading ancient history of india or adult book . I am not kidding .

" Doniger says [in the book] that when Sanskrit scriptures were written, Indian society favored open sexuality. The jacket of her book shows Lord Krishna sitting on the buttocks of nude women. She equates the shivlingam, worshipped all over India by millions, with sex and calls it an erect penis. She calls Gandhiji strange and says he used to sleep with young girls. The page 669 quote a version of Ramayana in which Rama asks Laxman “do you love Sita?” in sexual sense . She said that Kunti was raped by sun god Surya " So is this a true ancient history of India or an adulterated history ? Furthermore she intentionally supported Aryan Invasion Theory , which had been debunked thousand times . The genetical and archaeological studies proves that hindus are aryans and owners of Veda .

That entire book is objectionable . If you think she is writing about ancient history , then you are wrong . She is just insulting our gods and goddesses and religious leaders and texts and even our freedom fighters . The legal notice sent by dina natha Batra to Wendy Doniger " Your approach is that of woman hungry for sex " . This describes her perfectly.

Hindus all over the world should stand up against this attack on Hindu Dharma . " O hindus , you have a great vedic history , so who can be against you , stand up , look out is there anyone stealing your self esteem ? You see Dogs are barking. Let them bark. But don't ever let them bark in the sacred land of cows "
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 07 March 2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Hari On!

Re: The Hindus - An alternative history

Namaste

This subject has now come up several times on forums.

As I have said before, those who are buying books on scripture and Hinduism, such as myself, for decades now, most are like me in that we never heard of this person.

That is, until the "ban" (which failed, now the book is getting attention and is found all over the internet - without the "ban" it would have died the obsurity that would have been it's destiny. Bans do not work in the age of the internet and global interlinking of humans.)

I have not read it, but also heard some non-Hindu conservative talk show (AM radio) talk about it breifly as the typical "sex crazed junk" and spin on history by those with such fixations that hurt society.

I agree with the conservatives, there is no need to read these sex books when you have so many fine Hindu literature and history and scripture.

Om Namah Sivaya

I do remember seeing the book on Amazon & a lot of praise for the author and the book; and that the ban only made them more interested in reading it

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    I do remember seeing the book on Amazon & a lot of praise for the author and the book; and that the ban only made them more interested in reading it
    In my opinion, I would never assess an Amazon Rating of 2.3 out of 5 to be praiseful (keep in mind that percentage-wise, that is 46%). Between, the book was not banned. It was pulled back by the publisher. And, going by the usernames of many of the raters that gave the book low/lower ratings alone, we notice that it was mostly Westerners of Western ancestry/heritage that gave the book such low/lower ratings. In my opinion, I find that juxtaposing-ly intriguing.

Namaste, I was speaking on the UK store

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hindus-Alter...native+history

Granted the 5 star/1 star reviews are almost equal, when you scroll down to look at the featured reviews (which is what most people do) they are mostly positive.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste, I was speaking on the UK store

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hindus-Alter...native+history

Granted the 5 star/1 star reviews are almost equal, when you scroll down to look at the featured reviews (which is what most people do) they are mostly positive.
    However, a 3.2 out of 5 (which is 64%) isn't that much better either.

Keep in mind that Stephenie Meyer's Twilight scores much better with a 4.3 out of 5 (which is 86%) on the same Amazon UK database/web.

EDIT: Most of the negative reviews on that UK page are from people that are religiously sensitive and haven't even read the book. I would suggest using the US page that I linked earlier as it is more cohesive, comprehensive, and detailed, and also due to the consideration that the US page has more reviews, and thus, more detailed explanations rather than emotional, vitriolic diatribes found in the negative reviews section of the UK page.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 10 March 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Namaste, I'm not refuting any of your points. Just sharing what I saw/thought. I haven't read the book nor intend to.
    Does it show the Hindu's in a bad light?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    The complaints by those that are familiar with the work, and similar works, revolve around the usage of psychoanalysis, and the concluding implementation of the findings from that usage of psychoanalysis and positing them in texts as definitive, albeit the work in question was purely alternative. However, the usage of psychoanalysis in the field of Indology has become quite problematic, to the point, in fact, that even mainstream Indologists such as Witzel virulently disagree with its applications.
    Who cares what Witzel thinks? He is just as much of a mlechchha as Doniger and no he does not have a problem with psychoanalysis, else he wouldn't have supported people like Robert P. Goldman.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 10 March 2014 at 06:11 PM.
    படைபோர௠பà¯à®•à¯à®•à¯ à®®à¯à®´à®™à¯à®•à¯à®®à¯à®…ப௠பாஞà¯à®šà®šà®©à¯à®©à®¿à®¯à®®à¯à®®à¯ பலà¯à®²à®¾à®£à¯à®Ÿà¯‡
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Smile Re: The Hindus - An alternative history

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong at all in reading the book; nor reading any book for that matter.
    Namaste Bandhu , I was not expecting this from you . I really can't understand how a person who is a part of Hindu Dharma can ever support such unauthentic adult book !

That women who is now famous in Hindu communities as ' A woman Hungry For Sex ', is clearely insulting our gods and sages And you are saying there is nothing wrong in it . The jacket of her book shows bhagavan krishna sitting on buttocks of nude women , she mentions Linga as erect penis . So , Is she a normal woman or haunted by sexual ideas or christian missionaries ? That book clearly shows her mental illness .
    So can a normal person ever expect anything authentic from such illed woman ?

Writing history of Ancient India is not an easy task . In fact , no any mleccha can write authentic history of India . Because our richest history is always beyond comprehension of their minds . To present history of India , culture and spirituality are very important . One must know and follow these two things before concluding what is an authentic history of India . So only a hindu who have devoted all his life to dharma can write Ancient spiritual History of India .

So I always say too much involvement of mlecchas in Hindu Dharma is very dangerous and by writing this book Wendy Doniger has again proved it .

Dear Sudas , Another thing ! I'm Aryan(Hindu) and another proud thing for me is that I'm a Maharashtrian , follower of the great Hindu King Shivaji , avatara of Lord Shiva [ Shivaji is mentioned in Bhavishya Purana ] . King shivaji never accepted slavery of muslim kings . He never tolerated the slaughtering of cows . At that time Muslims were so scared by sword of Shivaji and He conquered all of them and established an ideal Dharmik svarajya for Hindus . I too can not tolerate such slavery of these so called History scholors and of those anti-hindus who degrade rich history of Aryans . Many Maharashtians had sacrificed their life to preserve Sanatana Dharma . One of them is the great freedom fighter , Lokmanya Tilak who was a scary ghost for Britishers . And I will follow the same path of such godly personalities !

And now I know why Kalki Purana mentions Kalki as destroyer of Mlecchas !
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 11 March 2014 at 01:19 AM.
    Hari On!

Thread Information