Thread: viṃśāṃśa

viṃśāṃśa

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We are told to look to the viṃśāṃśa¹(D-20) chart for spiritual pursuits or upadeśa. Why so ?

iti śivaṁ

1. viṃśa = consisting of 20 parts + aṃśa = a share , portion , part , party ; partition
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: viṃśāṃśa

Namaste Yajvan,

If I might attempt
    a concise answer to your question; I also look forwards to your expansion of this topic ...

I have been taught that the Varga charts can be seen on different levels the 1 to 12 representing the physical & material world, D16 to D24 representing conciousness. We can consider these charts, above the D12, to be a the second cycle or first harmonic of the initial 12 varga charts. From here we can see that, as the D4 represents the 4th Bhāva, then so also does the D16, as: 16-12=4

In the same manor we might consider the viṃśāṃśa, the D20, to be representative of the 8th of
    Bhāva of transformation; Representing transformation at the level of conciousness, and as such to be very much an indication for spiritual growth.

The direction of higher learning.

Thank you for your consideration.

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,

If I might attempt a concise answer to your question; I also look forwards to your expansion of this topic ...

I have been taught that the Varga charts can be seen on different levels the 1 to 12 representing the physical & material world, D16 to D24 representing conciousness. We can consider these charts, above the D12, to be a the second cycle or first harmonic of the initial 12 varga charts. From here we can see that, as the D4 represents the 4th Bhāva, then so also does the D16, as: 16-12=4

In the same manor we might consider the viṃśāṃśa, the D20, to be representative of the 8th of
    Bhāva of transformation; Representing transformation at the level of conciousness, and as such to be very much an indication for spiritual growth.

The direction of higher learning.

Thank you for your consideration.
    You are on the right track... as one should consider the natural 8th house which = scorpio. What qualities does this rāśi have? It is considered a mokṣa house , yet how to get to the other mokṣa houses ( 4th and 12th) from here? It is in trines to this 8th house. And these houses (4th, 8th and 12th) are in argala¹ from the dharma houses.

iti śivaṁ
    • mokṣa - liberation in a general sense; release from;
      • In kaśmir śaivism is more about being possessed of the Self, one's real nature. The bi-product is liberation.
    • argala - bolt or pin for fastening ~ to lock in~.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Scorpio, now let me see; we have the trine of Jala or water signs and Vṛścika (scorpio) one of these, yet also being a fixed sign; Perhaps we might consider waves in deep water, barely perceptible on the surface, whilst enormous transfers are happening below.
    Vṛścikais is also upon a junction, a meeting between Jala and Agni or fire, in Dhanus (Sagittarius).
    We know that there are three such Junctions in the celestial belt, representing the repetition of a cycle of 3 times 9 nakshatra, we can imagine this mathematically by considering that 108, being the total number of pada of the nakshatras, give the following conditions:

27*4=108 thus 27 nakshatra of 4 pada (feet) per asterisme.
    108/12 = 9 total number of pada per
    rāśi.
    9/4=2.25

We can see that there are 2.25 complete nakshatra per
    rāśi;

Taking this into account, every 4
    rāśi lead to the nakshatra and the rāśis realignment and the formation of a Junction; This Junction is also be where the water and fire signs meet in the cycle of 4 tattva, known as Gaṇḍa. The corresponding structure, marks out within the Nakshatras; the three lokas of bhūr bhuvaḥ & svaḥ.
    (The element holding all this together is the 5th tattva, akasha ).

Might I assume that the Moksa trine, to be related to these Gaṇḍa junctions; mapping out the steps or borders of our spiritual journey, and the Dharma trines to be at the centre of each loka.

Is the viṃśāṃśa constructed in some way according to this?

Thank you for your consideration ...

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Is the viṃśāṃśa constructed in some way according to this?

Thank you for your consideration ...
    If you have interest I will lay out the scheme per how I was instructed...
    I will add it to the next post.

iti śivaṁ
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

When one constructs the D-20 chart, it is constructed with the 1st, 5th and 9th houses in consideration. Yet we need to be mindful of the following:
    As with any divisional chart , it is the full sign ( 30°) that is segmented by the division in question. In our case it is a 1/20th division or 1°30'. If we multiply 1°30' by 20 it = 30° or the full sign's degree.
    Same with other divisional charts such as the 1/9th chart or navaṃśa. It is 1/9 X 30° = 3°20' per division.

So, what does one do with this ? They look to see where a graha resides within these divisions - that is, how many divisions or steps has a graha advanced in a sign ? For the viṃśāṃśa varga (division) there are a total of 20 steps and a graha can be in any one of this steps. Each step ( per our calcuation just made) is 1°30' .

So the rule given by mahāṛṣi parāśara-ji says we start the count from aries for movable signs, from sagittarius for fixed signs and from leo for dual signs. But one asks what count ? The count is the placement of where the graha will reside or be placed for the construction of the D-20 or the divisional chart called viṃśāṃśa.
    Let's do this by a very simple example.

Let's say the sun is 1° in aries, a movable sign. That means it resides within the first step of the viṃśāṃśa division and the sun is threrefore placed in aries in the viṃśāṃśa divisional chart. Now to contrast this, lets say the sun resided in 2º of aries. Its residence is now in the 2nd step of the division. We now count 2 signs to where the sun will be placed in the viṃśāṃśa divisional chart. So, it now resides in taurus. We always start from the starting sign. In this case it was aries which is 1 and then taurus which is 2.

Let's assume now the sun resides in a fixed sign ... taurus. Lets say it is 1º in taurus or in the 1st step. The rule tells us for fixed signs we begin the count from sagittarius. So in this example, the sun would then reside in sagittarius for the construction and placement of the sun in the D20 chart. Why so ? because it is the 1st step and should be placed in sagittarius, the 1st place one begins the count for a fixed sign.

We then look at each graha and find which house it resides in: moveable , fixed or dual. We then see how far the graha stepped into that sign ( up to 20 steps as you recall) and we start the count from the prescribed house as discussed above. That is the approach.

Pending the divisional chart being constructed the rules of progression are different. I mention this because the rule offered and reviewed above does not apply for all divisional charts.

iti śivaṁ
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Dear Yajvan,

Thank you very much for explaining this; I think I see now how this is calculated. What a truly wonderful system it is; a marvel really ...

Might I ask if further precision is required or not? I see in the modern software that degrees of planets
    are given in the viṃśāṃśa chakra, is this level of calculation necessary? Perhaps this is the result of the computer calculations used in the operation today? I assume that the traditional method would have been to calculate mentally, or by using more elemental counting tools such as the fingers. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you very much for your explanation.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Dear Yajvan,

Thank you very much for explaining this; I think I see now how this is calculated. What a truly wonderful system it is; a marvel really ...

Might I ask if further precision is required or not? I see in the modern software that degrees of planets are given in the viṃśāṃśa chakra, is this level of calculation necessary? Perhaps this is the result of the computer calculations used in the operation today? I assume that the traditional method would have been to calculate mentally, or by using more elemental counting tools such as the fingers. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you very much for your explanation.

There may be other calculations while inside the D-20 viṃśāṃśa chart that I am not aware of. For me I have not used additional degrees °; yet in the 1/9th chart this is used on occasion ( by me).

iti śivaṁ
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan,

Thank you for these insights, it is early days for me, in regards to reading the navaṃśa, perhaps you could relate to us how one might use degrees in relation to the information you have kindly shared one planets in trines with in the navaṃśa. For example; can we make use of exhalation and debilitation degrees in the
    navaṃśa, as we do in the Raṣi chart; Do you use the degree of Ghati lagna here also?

Thank you kindly for your wisdom on these matters.

Last edited by Mana; 29 June 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Thread Information