Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy Makar Sankranti

Re: Happy Makar Sankranti

Namaste,

I have seen this,
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    It is the day the sun (sūrya) begins its northern path or movement.
    repeated many times, but have not been able to get a satisfactory explanation of why this is considered so. As we know the sun starts its northward journey on winter solstice (Dec 21-22), and Makar Sankranti marks the transition of the sun into the Capricorn constellation.

Pranam.

I would like to clarify something which the Wikipedia article (on the link given by Believer) doesn't mention. Usually, punjAbI-s also throw the mUNgfalI (peanut) shells into the campfire on lohri. Then again, that may just be specific to the gurdwAra I go to, .
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In Punjab where December and January are the coldest months of the year, huge bonfires are lit on the eve of Makar Sankranti and is celebrated as Lohri. Sweets, sugarcane and rice are thrown in the bonfires, around which friends and relatives gather together. The following day, which is Sankrant (Sangrand), is celebrated as Maghi. Bathing in any river in the early hours on Maghi is important. Hindus light lamps with sesame oil as this is supposed to give prosperity and drive away all sins. The Punjabis dance their famous dance known as "bhangra". Then they sit down and eat the sumptuous food that is specially prepared for the occasion. It is traditional to eat "kheer", rice cooked in milk and sugar. The parshada often includes popcorn.[citation needed]
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Happy Makar Sankaranti to all forum members!

Today Tamilians celebrate 'Kanu pongal' and we offered colored rices to the crow. Some Tamilians make Tamarind rice and Avial for offering to the god today.

On that I have a question: is it ok to offer 'Drumsticks' in the food prepared for god? (Or it should be avoided like onions and garlic?).
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I have seen this,

repeated many times, but have not been able to get a satisfactory explanation of why this is considered so. As we know the sun starts its northward journey on winter solstice (Dec 21-22), and Makar Sankranti marks the transition of the sun into the Capricorn constellation.

Pranam.
    Greetings,
    Kauai's Hindu Monastery celebrates Makar Sankranti on 21 December. The explanation for why can be seen here, where Sam Geppi interviews Satguru Bodhinatha. Sam Geppi goes into more detail here.

Thread Information