Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Human Migrations into India

Human Migrations into India

Namaste all,

This is a subject I have been studying a little recently. A friend of mine recently showed me this article:
    http://genome.cshlp.org/content/11/6/994.full
    which basically makes the point that ancient humans from West Eurasia migrated into India and created the caste system and put themselves in the castes of "higher rank". The evidence for it is that the genetic makeup for members of the high castes are more similar to European genetics than other the genetic makeup for other castes do. The article goes into great detail and can explain it better than I can.

On one hand, this sounds like a sort of watered-down AIT, but on another hand it does not seem so absurd. After all, haven't there been numerous different waves of migrations into India since the time the first humans migrated out of Africa? Please note that my friend is not a Christian (he is actually a former Catholic, now atheist) and does not have any sort of "agenda". He is actually against AIT and believes it's false. He just has an interest in anthropology and genealogy and studies it a lot. The point that he is trying to make is basically that each wave of migrations into India "contributed linguistically and culturally in some way or another. The populations mixed with the natives, took on native customs etc."

It was my understanding that the caste system had been around (in it's pure, unadulterated form) since the beginning of Vedic civilization, but I could be wrong as I don't know much about its history. Is it not correct that the Vedas were revealed to the ancient rishis, the Vedic civilization gradually developed and flourished, and during that time there were waves of migrations into India? So where does the caste system play into this? How can the similarity of the genetic makeups of high caste members and Europeans be explained? Another thing to note is that he said these weren't "Europeans" like we think of today, but rather "Eurasians" who came from no farther west than the Balkans.

Any thoughts on this, or can anyone point me to good sources about the historical waves of migration into India?

Jai Sri Ram

Re: Human Migrations into India

Million-year-old tools found near Chennai - India’s prehistory pushed back

http://www.telegraphindia.com/111032...y_13763075.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by flabber View Post
    Million-year-old tools found near Chennai - India’s prehistory pushed back

http://www.telegraphindia.com/111032...y_13763075.jsp
    Side question: Aren't scientific prehistory and the Ramayana incompatible date-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Side question: Aren't scientific prehistory and the Ramayana incompatible date-wise?
    History cannot prove the historicity of our itihasas, but there have been findings that support the stories, for example the discovery of Dvaraka city and the bridge of Srirama, but of course this is not conclusive evidence, but I will put my faith in the itihasas nonetheless.

There are many things in our itihasas that scientists and historians will never be able to accept. How can a monkey man lift a mountain and eat the sun? This is too much to ask a scientist to believe, but for someone who has faith in the gods, this should not be such a big stretch to believe. If you believe in Gods in the first place, there's no reason not to believe that they are powerful beyond human understanding.

I'm just asking, not to stop believing based on science, science is always changing, slowly climbing to the top while vedic knowledge stands its high ground.

I'm merely wondering when science is going to get near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    I'm merely wondering when science is going to get near it.
    Probably never. It like asking, when is a person without eyes going to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Probably never. It like asking, when is a person without eyes going to see?
    You see (pun), I'm not sure. I think the rise of dharma coupled with subtler and subtler sciences reaching understandings similar to what the vedas propose is going to offer humanity a new range of experiences.

Think of these threads combined:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6765
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7223

Do you remember when Ganesha started drinking milk all over the world? Even if it happens right in front of their nose, they will remain like blind people looking into a mirror.

Namaste all,

Thanks for the interesting replies, but do you all have anything to say about my original post? The link that Flabber posted is very very interesting. I personally believe that humans have been around longer than modern science believes, but as Pietro says, "science is always changing, slowly climbing to the top while vedic knowledge stands its high ground."

Jai Sri Ram

Do you guys have any more information about the first post - the genetic origin of Indians?

Thread Information