Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Makar Sankranti

Re: Happy Makar Sankranti

Dear ganeshprasad ji,
    Thanks for the wishes. Makar Sakranti is a festival related to farmers and celebrated by all parts of India under various names. I grew up in Bihar where we used to have Chuda-Dahi-Tilkut as breakfast on the morning of Sakrat. I had my graduation in Delhi, where they celebrated night of 13th january as Lohri, in which people get out of their house and do certain fire ritual.

I wish Makar sakranti, Lohri, Pongal or whatever one calls it to everyone. Have a great time.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Vannakkam: I concur. Happy Makar Sankranti, etc. to all. Here we are having a relative heat wave, so it'll be only -2 or so tomorrow morning, which sure beats -30. As usual, it'll be a joyous event.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I concur. Happy Makar Sankranti, etc. to all. Here we are having a relative heat wave, so it'll be only -2 or so tomorrow morning, which sure beats -30. As usual, it'll be a joyous event.

Aum Namasivaya
    Seriously, -30 C? I've visited New Foundland and also Ontario (Toronto, to be specific, my great aunt [who recently passed away] lived there), but it's never quite gotten THAT cold when I was in Canada. What part of Canada do you live in? Sheesh...
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post

Seriously, -30 C? I've visited New Foundland and also Ontario (Toronto, to be specific, my great aunt [who recently passed away] lived there), but it's never quite gotten THAT cold when I was in Canada. What part of Canada do you live in? Sheesh...
    Vannakkam: I'm in Edmonton. Yes it can get cold here. http://past.theweathernetwork.com/ne...old_12_12_2008

That was just 5 years ago. But we also have a weird warm wind called the chinook wind that comes over the Rockys. In a matter of 24 hours it can go from -40 to +10. Two years ago it was around -30 for Pongal. I don't know for last year, because I was in Mauritius and it was around +34 or so.

Eastern Canada has is closer to large water which makes everything slightly more consistent.

Pongal is very strange in the extreme cold, because you can't see the boiling pot for the steam. Only the hardy and the foolhardy persist.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you Ganesh Prasad ji ! I wish Happy Makar Sankranti to all fellow forum members.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

KAipOccE

Happy makar sankranti to all.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Happy Makar Sankranti to all!
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Namaste,

A very joyous and blessed Makar Sankranti to all. Hope the Punjabis had a nice time singing at the Lohri festival last evening/night (sundar mundariye...ho....) around the ceremonial fire.

Here is its significance and how it is celebrated in different parts of India and in other South Asian countries:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti

Namaste.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Today is makara saṃkrānti :

• makara the 10th sign of the zodiac (capricorn)
    • saṃkrānti going from one place to another , course or passage or entry into , transference to
    This day is also called uttarāyaṇa-saṃkrānti. It is the day the sun (sūrya) begins its northern path or movement.
    North is that of the deva-s and south is considered the ~night~ of the deva-s.

The sun or sūrya is the ātma-kāraka representing the Self of all on this good earth. This motion or path of the ātma kāraka to the north indicates it rise, and then its fulfillment¹ that occurs when it brought to its height in aries ( where it is exalted).
    So, said another way it is uplifting the light or pure awareness in us. That is, it is the support from the universe to assist one-and-all to the unfoldment of this pure awareness ( the Self) in ones own being.
    It is said on this day ( and in general the northern path of the sun) is more conducive to:
    • spiritual pursuits
    • gaining knowledge, purity and wisdom
    • better relationships/ harmony with father and son
    • promoting the evolutionary tendencies in life (dharma)
    iti śivaṁ

1. pratijñā - to promise fulfilment of a person's word
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ

This day is also called uttarāyaṇa-saṃkrānti. It is the day the sun (sūrya) begins its northern path or movement.
    North is that of the deva-s and south is considered the ~night~ of the deva-s.
    It is said on this day ( and in general the northern path of the sun) is more conducive to:
    spiritual pursuits

Bhismapita stayed on the bed of arrows for several days waiting for this moment to leave his mortal body

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information