Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Makar Sankranti

Happy Makar Sankranti

Pranam all

Celebrate Makar Sankranti With Spirit Of Reaching High In Blue Sky... to welcome the Sun...the kite fly high in the sky... Happy Uttrayan...!!!

The Great Bhisma Pita waited for this day to leave his body lying on the bed off arrows.

Makar Sankranti or Sankranthi Significance, Details, Introduction, Festival, Recipes, Dishes, Greeti

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Re: Happy Makar Sankranti

Happy Makkar Sankranti to all. What an auspicious day!
    Thanks Ganeshji for reminding us all about its arrival.

The link in the above post states, 'According to the lunar calendar, when the sun moves from the Tropic of Cancer to the Tropic of Capricorn.'

Please note that this is the only Hindu festival which is NOT computed per the Lunar calender and falls on Jan 14th every year. Also the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn are two circles of altitudes and do not encompass areas. Transition into the Makkar rashi (change of zodiac sign to Capricorn) occurs on this day. It is NOT the start of its Northward journey, which starts on winter solstice, Dec 21. The scientist in me wanted to point out these facts for those who care. I hope I got all that right?

15 Jan 2011
    SaturdayEkadasi, G, 08:43 , Krittika
    +SUDDHA EKADASI VRATA: FASTING FOR Putrada EKADASI
    +Makar Sankranti ~ Celebration of Sun entering Capricorn
    +Ganga Sagar Snana Mela (bathing in Ganga)

http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/...inmenu-71.html

Here it says 15 januari?

Pranam Believer ji

Nice observant, yes you are absolutely correct this is the only religious day that does not follow Hindu lunar calendar that is because it is a solar event, it invariably falls on the 14th Jan sometimes it could be 15th when the winter equinox is calculated for the 22nd dec.
    Now the question off Uttrayan (northward journey) for what ever reason is fixed in the middle of Jan by Hindus must have a logical reason. Why ? I do not know do I question it ? No way.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thanks for your greetings, Ganeshprasad ji ! I too join you in wishing everyone here a Very Happy Makar Sankranti/Bihu/Lohri/Pongal !

Let me remind to people who may be interested : This day is celebrated by different names in different parts of India.

i) It is called Bhogaali Bihu in Assam and adjoining areas. People prepare Peethas of various varieties a day before & share it with their friends and relatives on the Bihu day. They make Uruka (Bon-fire) and burn it (just like Holika Dahan) and sing and dance around it. They visit their sister's home with Peethas and other delicious sweetmeats.

ii) It is called Makar Sankranti in North India. People take bath early in the morning in a nearby river/pond and perform Pooja. Hundreds of thousands of devotees gather today at Sangam (Allahabad), Hardwar and Ganga Sagar (Kolkata, at the meeting point of the Ganges and the Sea) for taking a holy dip. People indulge in various merry making activities on this day ... like flying Kites, setting up village fairs, eating Chira (flattened rice)-curd-sweetmeat made of sesame and sugar (called tilkut/gazak).

iii) It is celebrated as Lohri in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal and the other adjoining areas. People make bon-fire and sing & dance around the fire in groups. They also share various home-made cookies.

iv) It is celebrated as Pongal in Tamilnadu and other adjoining areas. People gather in groups to celebrate Pongal. New Rice is boiled in a new pot till it boils over. This is symbolic of a good bountiful harvest. The festival is celebrated for four days. On, the first day, Bhogi, the old clothes and materials are thrown away and fired, marking the beginning of a new life. The second day, the Pongal day, is celebrated by boiling fresh milk early in the morning and allowing it to boil over the vessel - a tradition that is the literal translation for Pongal. People also prepare savories and sweets, visit each other's homes, and exchange greetings. The third day, Mattu Pongal, is meant to offer thanks to the cows and buffaloes, as they are used to plough the lands. On the last day, Kanum Pongal, people go out to picnic.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Pranam Devotee ji

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    This day is celebrated by different names in different parts of India.

OM
    You mentioned kites briefly which i would like to expand on it a bit more, it is called Patang in Gujarati. it is here in Gujarat that this festival is followed with great zeal.
    Patang is another name for sun also a butterfly, one can easily make the connection. the idea is to fly the patang reaching out to the sun, what site to behold in Ahmadabad, i have missed it by few day still they would be flying around when i arrive tomorrow.

Jai Shree Krishna

7. Cool Re: Happy Makar Sankranti

Thanks for your greetings, Ganeshprasad ji ! I too join you in wishing everyone here a Very Happy Makar Sankranti/Bihu/Lohri/Pongal !

Let me remind to people who may be interested : This day is celebrated by different names in different parts of India.

iii) It is celebrated as Lohri in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal and the other adjoining areas. People make bon-fire and sing & dance around the fire in groups. They also share various home-made cookies.
    No Lohri and Makar Sankranti are different, and no home made cookies are traditionally shared, it is optional, traditionally popcorns, peanuts and revdi are shared and also offered to agni. Lohri is a fire worship, "makha" means fire so there may be some similarity, but both are celibrated differently.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    No Lohri and Makar Sankranti are different, and no home made cookies are traditionally shared, it is optional, traditionally popcorns, peanuts and revdi are shared and also offered to agni. Lohri is a fire worship, "makha" means fire so there may be some similarity, but both are celibrated differently.
    Thanks for improvement with your valuable input, Param !

Actually, that way, all the four festivals are different from each other ! Makar Sankranti is not Lohri, Bihu is not Makar Sankranti or Lohri and Pongal too is not Makar Sankranti or Lohri or Bihu. What I was trying to emphasize that all the four festivals are celebrated almost on the same day or a day later. This is basically the transition of Sun marking the end of winter and related somehow with worshiping God (in one or the other form ... might have started for a good harvest) and is celebrated in one or the other form throughout India.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

iv) It is celebrated as Pongal in Tamilnadu and other adjoining areas. People gather in groups to celebrate Pongal. New Rice is boiled in a new pot till it boils over. This is symbolic of a good bountiful harvest.

OM
    Vannakkam: I'm keen to find out how it went here this year. We have a core group of about 4 men who do it outside the front of the temple with fervor each year regardless of weather. Since it was -30 or so, I'm curious if the steam was so bad you couldn't see the pot, as in some years past. The poor priest in dhoti probably did a particularly quick aarti. They were also missing their honorary real farmer. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Hope everyone who partook of any of these great variations had a jolly time.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

Happy Makar Sankranti tomorrow 14th Jan.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 13 January 2014 at 10:20 AM.

Thread Information