Thread: Best Hindu books

Best Hindu books

Forgive me if I have posted this article at the wrong forum, I just couldn't figure out the right place.

Personally, Gita is obviously #1 in the list. And I don't believe the **** that it is really deep that you can never fully retain it unless you achieve moksha b/c every single book is like that. Think about it. Any book you read, you read it 2 years later...you go more in depth, from broader perspective, etc. So, I agree about that...but it is not Gita, it is us. Meaning, this concept applies to all the books.

Now to the topic. I am talking about the books that answer fundamental question or question the most obvious accepted truth; Osho's works.

Normally, traditional hindu philosophers have a lot of culture B.S. which has to be tolerated such as Swami Vivekananda's Gyan Yoga. Modern philosophers like Dalai Lama and Deepak Chopra and very fundament in their approach and clear but don't go in depth to the issue...don't really answer the heart of the question...but the neighbor ones. Ex. Each being eats another being...what is the meaning of this? What is Maya? Prakriti? Brahman? And others.

Excuse my long writing...I just wanted to be clear in my approach.

Thanks for any responses.

Re: Best Hindu books

Namaste,
    Not sure if I follow your train of thought. Could you please clarify what you are saying/asking?
    satay

I just mean that could you guys tell me of authors with great works similar to Vivekananda, Lama, Chopra, etc.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by skhandelwal View Post
    I just mean that could you guys tell me of authors with great works similar to Vivekananda, Lama, Chopra, etc.

Namaste skhandelwal,
    your question is reasonable, yet one cannot recommend books unless we know your interests... I will assume you are talking Sanatana Dharma [Vaidika Dharma - the knowledge or Dharma of the Veda's; Arsa Dharma, the Dharma of the rishi's] there is much to read.

It s like walking into a library - what section do you want to go to? i.e. what are your interests? Then one can discern what Shastra's (or Sastra) for consideration…
    • Smritis
    • Itihasas
    • Puranas
    • Agamas
    • Darsanas
    for more on each one of these, consider the HDF post:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946

Maybe this will help you frame your question.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 December 2007 at 12:42 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

The same interest the author's I gave examples of have their books based on....Spiritual answers. Don't have to be religious, can be scientific, as long as it covers the deep core of our souls.

Thread Information