Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE 10 OFFENSES

THE 10 OFFENSES

It is recommened for all the Vaishnavas to avoid nama-apradhas as much as possible. These are as follows:

From Padma Purana, Brahma Khanda

1)”satam ninda namnah paramam aparadham vitanute
    yatah khyatim yatam katham u sahate tad-vigarham”

To blaspheme or criticize the krsna devotees, who have dedicated their lives to chanting the holy name of the Lord.
    The holy name, who is identical with Krsna, will never tolerate such blasphemous activities. Such persons will have to undergo the reactions of there offenses.

2) “sivasya sri-visnorya iha guna-namadi-sakalam
    dhiya bhinnam pasyet sa khalu hari-nama ahita-karah”

To treat the names and gunas of Supreme Lord Hari equal to the names of other devatas, like Lord Siva (Sivasya Sri Visnorya) - This is second namapradha.

3) “guror avajna”

To disobey the orders of the spiritual master or to consider him an ordinary person.

4) “sruti-sastra-nindanam”

To blaspheme the Vedic literatures and literatures in pursuance of the Vedic version (puranas etc) as unauthentic.

5) “artha-vadah”

To think that the holy name is no doubt glorious, but the puranas actually exaggarate it, meaning it is not so glorious as to wipe off all the sins committed by a person in all lifetimes just by chanting a single name.

6) “hari-namni kalpanam”

To consider the glories of the holy name of the Lord as imagination.

7) “namno balad yasya hi papa-buddhir
    na vidyate tasya yamair hi suddhih”

(While chanting of the holy name of the Lord can counteract all the past sinful reactions but it is greatest offense to commit sinful activities on the strength of chanting the holy name of the Lord.) To think that the Hare Krsna mantra can counteract all sinful reactions and one may therefore go on with his sinful activities and at the same time chant the Hare Krsna mantra to neutralize them is the greatest offense at the lotus feet of Hari-nama.

8) “dharma-vrata-tyaga-hutadi-sarva-
    subha-kriya-samyam api pramadah”

To consider the chanting of the Hare Krisna maha-mantra to be one of the auspicious ritualistic mantras mentioned in the Vedas as fruitive activity.

9) “asraddadhane vimukhe ’py asrnvati
    yas copadesah siva-namaparadhah”

It is an offense to preach the glories of the holy name of the Lord to the faithless.

10) “srute ’pi nama-mahatmye yah priti-rahito narah
    aham-mamadi-paramo namni so ’py aparadha-krt”

If one has heard the glories of the transcendental holy name of the Lord but nevertheless continues in a materialistic concept of life, thinking “I am this body and everything belonging to this body is mine [aham mameti],” and does not show respect and love for the chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, that is an offense.

Radhe !
    Last edited by Krsna Das; 19 February 2010 at 05:37 AM.

Re: THE 10 OFFENSES

Question: But Krsna is so merciful. Why will he punish somebody if one unknowingly commits offenses towards his name?

Answer: Krsna's name will consider offenses and one has to also undergo the reaction of such offenses:

krsna-nama’ kare aparadhera vicara
    krsna balile aparadhira na haya vikara
    (CC Adi 8.24)

“If someone will chant krsna-nama but at the same time commit the ten offenses, he will not experience melting of the heart and tears flowing from his eyes.” However:

gaura-nityanande nahi esaba vicara
    nama laite prema dena, vahe asrudhara
    (CC Adi 8.31)

Gaura-nityananda-nama does not consider any offense. If someone chants their names, his heart will melt and tears will flow from his eyes. Thus, gaura-nama is more merciful than krsna-nama.

Therefore, we always chant first the panca-tattva mahamantra before chanting the hare krsna mahamantra, so that if unknowingly any offenses are committted during chanting, they are counteracted or nullified by our chanting of Nityananda and Gauranga names.
    Last edited by Krsna Das; 19 February 2010 at 05:58 AM.

To treat the names and gunas of Supreme Lord Hari equal to the names of other devatas, like Lord Siva (Sivasya Sri Visnorya) - This is second namapradha.
    This is an ecumenical Hindu forum, so you should refrain from posting things like this that may offend others. I do not consider this to be an offence because I believe that all the different Gods are just different forms of the One Supreme Being.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMalaysia View Post
    This is an ecumenical Hindu forum, so you should refrain from posting things like this that may offend others. I do not consider this to be an offence because I believe that all the different Gods are just different forms of the One Supreme Being.
    In ISKCON forum, we do not have to be politically correct and hide or subtract what this philosophy says about it. Why it is an offense? It will be an offense if you want to subtract and pose like you are being true to your faith.

namaste Scott,

Since this is the ISKCON section of HDF, I don't see why they should refrain from posting as long as the forum rules are being followed.

satay

Quote Originally Posted by Krsna Das View Post
    Question: But Krsna is so merciful. Why will he punish somebody if one unknowingly commits offenses towards his name?

Answer: Krsna's name will consider offenses and one has to also undergo the reaction of such offenses:

but doesnt the shastras say naam and naami are abhed ?!!

if krishna doesnt mind why would his name(personified) mind ?!!

Our motive is not to "please" others. We are not obliged to present something in a twisted manner, just because majority of people would enjoy it to hear/read; or hide something that has been propagated by Srila Vyasadev himself, just because majority of people have problems accepting it.

Accuse NOT me, but Srila Vyasadev, who has composed Padma Purana, who is none other than the empowered incarnation of Supreme.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScottMalaysia
    This is an ecumenical Hindu forum, so you should refrain from posting things like this that may offend others . . .

READ THE BANNER ABOVE:
    Hare Krishna (ISKCON) Forum for discussion of Krishna Consciousness: Hare Krishna!
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 02 March 2010 at 11:10 AM.

It is recommened for all the Vaishnavas to avoid nama-apradhas as much as possible. These are as follows:

From Padma Purana, Brahma Khanda

2) “sivasya sri-visnorya iha guna-namadi-sakalam
    dhiya bhinnam pasyet sa khalu hari-nama ahita-karah”

there are TWO versions of the list of Naamapradha and the other one strongly declares that one who differentiates between the names of Shiva and Visnu is a blasphemer.
    This other list is to be followed by the Krsnaites : Nimbarkis,Gaudiyas,pushti margis and Ramanandis (instead of krsna naam,they put rama naam.)

The list which you put up is generally followed by Madvacharya's disciples and Ramajunites - since they worship the majestic/opulent form in Vaikuntha.

Pranam

Our motive is not to "please" others. We are not obliged to present something in a twisted manner, just because majority of people would enjoy it to hear/read; or hide something that has been propagated by Srila Vyasadev himself, just because majority of people have problems accepting it.

Accuse NOT me, but Srila Vyasadev, who has composed Padma Purana, who is none other than the empowered incarnation of Supreme.
    Who said majority have problem accepting it?

I like this word twist chuby chuker did it his way, so lets all twist, sorry if I am intruding. As I say we all twist in our own way. but seriously,

When something is presented in certain manner than you might find people rejecting it or not to like it.

Sri Vyasdev wrote major 18 major puranas, he extols 3 different personalities as supreme. He also wrote Mahabharata where Lord Shiva is presented as supreme, what to speak of Vedas which says ekaṃ sad viprā bahudhā vadantyaghniṃ

One can be forgiven reading those scripture to conclude they must be the same all being in different roles. If that is an offence God must be one very cruel guy

As presented the offence no 2 is nothing more then scare tactic, the padma puran itself would fall foul of the offence, if it were true, as presented by some. All you need to read is the Shiv Gita.

But thankfully the translation I read is like this as already quoted by Ranjeet ji

sivasya sri-visnor ya iha guna-namadi-sakalam
    dhiya bhinnam pasyet sa khalu hari-namahita-karah
    One who sees the difference between the names and qualities of Lord Shiva and names and qualities of Lord Vishnu is an antagonist of hari-nama"
    Which would be broadly in line with what said in Bhagvat puran and I quote.

S.B 8.7.23 O lord, you are self-effulgent and supreme. You create this material world by your personal energy, and you assume the names Brahmā, Viṣṇu and Maheśvara when you act in creation, maintenance and annihilation.

4.7/50-54 The lord said: The supreme cause of the universe, I am also Brahma (the creator) and Lord Shiva (the destroyer of the universe). I am the self, the lord and the witness, self effulgent and unqualified. Embracing my own Maya, consisting of the three gunas, it is I who create, protect and destroy the universe have assumed names appropriate to my functions, O Brahmana! It is in such a Brahman, the supreme sprit, who is one without a second, that the ignorant fool views Brahma, Rudra and other beings as distinct entities. Just as a man never conceives his own head, hands and other limbs as belonging to anyone else, even so he who is devoted to me does not regard his fellow creatures as distant from himself.
    He who sees no difference between Us three (Brahma, Rudra and Myself)-who are identical in essence and the very selves of all living beings-attains peace, O Daksa.

So please tell us who is correct Vyasdev in various other scriptures or your version of Padma purana offence no 2?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information