Thread: Happiness is here, and not hereafter

Happiness is here, and not hereafter

uta bruvantu no nido niranyataścidārata |
    dadhānā indra id duvaḥ || mandala sukta mantra
    Maṇḍala -1 Sūkta -4 Mantra – 5

===========

It is evident that the reference made clear by the word tat represents the 10th Maṇdala of ṛgveda,. Yet, In ṛgveda, the prajāpati has given the status of iśwara, the creator. Whereas the one introduces by Yājñavlakya has a status of the Absolute that cannot be attained by the mere rituals of a rivtik.

The following mantra 2:5:16 of the Brihadāranyaka stands for itself:
    “This is that Madhu vidyā which Dadhyaṅg , versed in Atharav veda taught the Aśvina. Seeing this, ṛṣi said: ‘Just as cloud bursts into rain, so shall I, O Aśvins in human form , disclose that merciless act called damśa done by you due to greed- how you heard the Madhu vidy ā taught by dadhyaṅg versed in the atharva veda, through the head of hourse.”

Why Dadhyaṅg had to use the head of a horse?

This is one of the earliest versions of politics that can seen the in the scripture.

The present day politics is totally different from what is cited here.
    The present day politics is a commixture of the politics as stated by Plato and revaluated by the Romans, and then the same was customised into a one-sided mechanistic practice by the Europeans. This admixture of greed and rivalry was brought into the Indian soil by the so called educated who was sent to Europe in late 1800’s for acquiring higher education. And for now, this is the only politics that is familiar to us.

===

As it pertains to the situations involved in knowledge, the politics as stated in our writings are quite different.

The politics cited here is the one between Indra and Dadhyaṅg of the Atharva veda. And also there are reference in the Mahābhāratha on politics between Vasiṣṭa and Viśāamitra. At the same time the cunning politics pertaining to the to the situations of power etc. of the people like Śakuni is not entertained here either, .

E.g : Dadhyaṅg, said, “I have been told by Indra thus: in case you teach Madhu Vidya to anybody I shall cut off your head”

==========

As Dadhyaṅg belongs to the context of the athavara it is necessary for a student of vedānata to accustomed with the psychology of Atharva Veda. Also the principal upaniṣads of vedānata such as māndukaya, mundaka, and praśna belong to the context of the same atharva veda.

Through their beautiful Darsanas this difficulty was further eased by seers like Kapila etc. And later these pearls were stringed (sūtra) together by Badarāyana. Finally these garlands of wisdom were worn with great pride by Stalwarts like Śankara, Ramānuja and Mādhva.

=====

In fact we did try to make the same science clear in a rather methodological parlance (that is, an alternative method for an easier understanding had been adopted earlier) but...... Happiness is lack of pain etc... This was discredited by people of great discrimination.

Now let’s have a gaze at the time immemorial conventional means of exposition of the same science commences.

duḥkhatrayābhighāatāt jijñāsā tadapaghātake ।
    dṛṣṭe sā apārthā cet na ekānta atyṅtaḥa-abhāvāt ॥

From the torment caused by the three kind of pain, proceeds a desire for inquiry into the means of terminating them; if it be said that (the enquiry) is superfluous since visible means exist, (we reply), not so; because (in the visible means)there is the absence of certainty (in the case of the means) permanency (of pain).

Finally, the 16 turns into śāṇḍilyādi 32; this is precisely the supreme parārtha jñāna against mere svārtha(4) of the mystics and scholars. Where is the remaining 28?

( Muṇḍāka-Brahmavidyā Sarvavidyā pratiṣṭha); it should be all at once, and not one after one.

Love

===============

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदम् पूर्णात् पूर्णमुदच्यते |
    पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ||
    ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ||
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Re: Happiness is here, and not hereafter

Namaste,

An excellent topic to remind us about the happiness being here and now, but help me understand,
    Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    This admixture of greed and rivalry was brought into the Indian soil by the so called educated who was sent to Europe in late 1800’s for acquiring higher education. And for now, this is the only politics that is familiar to us.
    Are we weak and impressionable and pick up bad things from other cultures and are not able to stand firm and correct their ways instead?
    After 60+ years of independence, we can's shake off the negativity learned from others?
    If greed/rivalry are imported traits, then all the stories I hear about the inter-family rivalry/killings between King Ashok and his brothers/cousins before he came to power must be fiction?
    And so would be greed that sent Shri Ram to the forests?
    Ditto for Pandavas?
    I am just trying to reconcile the things that happened in Bharat since the ancient times with the claim of them being imports of 1800's. And then our inherent weakness in not being able to shake them off? It is just a big puzzle to me.

Pranam.

Namaste
    very nice explanation
    I could get only few parts. If you could write in simple statements and give examples ' then it will help us to understand completely
    Few words about Madhu vidya would have clarified and help us to get the flow.
    Also tell us whether it is mandatory to accept pain to evolve. I think pain and happiness are intertwined .
    If I run away from pain, then I can not understand and respect happiness
    Anirudh...

Namaste,
    I read the conversation between manas and atma . At one stage it became too cyclic. I am not greedy or illiterate but are there simple ways to dispel ignorance without having to understand every definition
    if some one is playing the role of father brother husband and fund raiser to run the family he is going to get caught in the web of responsibilities.
    And then he will develop attachment to temporary objects, but to make people around him happy he has to go behind money etc.
    Are you saying living inside web of family is not advised to seek light. Then why would anyone has to raise family.
    Anirudh...

Namaste HDF,

Hopefully this is not too much of a derail, but I think it's still relevant.

I think it was the Dalai Lama, in the book "The Art of Happiness," that claimed happiness as a basic right of all human beings.

If you ask me, though, happiness seems to be denied humans these days at the drop of a hat. And for the most petty of reasons.

Not trying to be too negative here, but I think the idea of happiness being a fundamental human right is worth debating. I personally think that more consideration should be made for this, but what do others here think?

Thread Information