Thread: Sri Ganesha Temple ( Nashville, Tennessee)

Talking Sri Ganesha Temple ( Nashville, Tennessee)

Namaste!
    Last night I made my first visit to a Hindu Temple. I could have gone earlier but I thought Maha Sivaratri would be an auspicious time for my first temple visit.
    I am very much used to mediating and worshiping alone, so it was an odd experience... but a very good one in an unexpected way. ( If you want to make God laugh, make some plans.)
    Everyone was friendly and respectful. The entrance is not straightforward, but it is beautiful. There is a shoe room to the left once you find the proper entrance. There is a fountain with a large marble- looking base for washing, as well as a shower.. which makes me wonder, since there are no gender designated areas around it that I could see.. The temple itself is upstairs and carpeted, which startled me; I am more used to rugs.
    On Mahasivaratri they had food available in the foyer, which also startled me, but to each his own.

The whole building is beautiful. Just driving by you would know it is a temple. The shrines within are also beautiful. They have all of the Devas I am familiar with there, and some I am not!
    Bajan was lovely. They have little books you can use with Sanskrit text written in roman letters. I did not know what the little books were for until someone was kind enough to hand me one.
    The main shrines there are Ganesha in the middle, Siva to the left, to the right I believe there is Venkateshwara, and there are smaller shrines all around the temple. The main shrine is surrounded by different forms of Ganesha, all quite lovely.

If you are going to be in the southeast of USA anytime, you owe it to yourself to come here. Everyone there is really nice.
    They also have a website at www.ganeshatemple.org

Om Namah Sivaya
    My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realising Him.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Sri Ganesha Temple ( Nashville, Tennessee)

Vannakkam szalvias: I'm so glad you went. (for you) I've heard that that particular murthi is the largest granite murthi of Ganesha in the whole of the west, but I'm not really sure if that's true. Certainly it does look like a great temple. I'm not sure what you mean by 'in an unexpected way'. I find it very interesting how one's concept of a Hindu temple before going, and after going is so different. Too bad we couldn't take a picture of how the brain imagines it, both in form, and in vibration, and then do the same after. It would be a classic before/after painting. Regardless, I hope your visit was truly rewarding, and you've found 'home' again.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om

Namaste Szalvias and everyone here.

Thanks for sharing of your experience. I have yet to have visitied. If even fair question, how would you compare to stay at Monastery?

Again, thanks.

Om Shanti

FFTW

Sounds lovely, glad you had a good experience!

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    Hari Om

Namaste Szalvias and everyone here.

Thanks for sharing of your experience. I have yet to have visitied. If even fair question, how would you compare to stay at Monastery?

Again, thanks.

Om Shanti

FFTW
    Sorry it took so long to reply! I've been very busy with work and with school and other things. I've been trying to network recently so that I am surrounded by better influences.

Going to a Hindu temple in comparison to a Monastery has very little similarity. In a monastery (and I have indeed been to several, although they were in Germany, and not my own country), the atmosphere feels very somber and serious in comparison to a Hindu temple which feels lively, full of energy, and a bit more dynamic. In a monastery, for me there is a feeling that you will be excluded from the community if you mess up or misbehave. At Shri Ganesha temple I did not feel this at all. I felt welcome, and having spoken with locals who are not Hindu and have gone there, I know that if you do something improper they correct you with little to no judgement or condemnation involved. It feels more progressive and more modern, yet still timeless.
    A Christian monastery is focused on religion and dogma, I felt that this temple was less focused on this dogma and more focused on spirituality... more focused on empowering people to connect with God rather than forcing them to obey convention, although you are naturally expected to follow certain customs and regulations. I felt like everyone there was my brother because we were all there to worship Lord Shiva for whatever reason. Even back 20 some odd years ago when i was a part of Christian religion, I never felt this degree of unity at any form of assembly. There, I felt like I was being judged and condemned.

It may be wise, when reading this to understand that I have had VERY BAD experiences with my family religion of Christianity. I dare say that my experiences in monasteries and churches was far worse than is typical.

I hope this was somehow useful!
    Om Namah Shivaya.
    My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realising Him.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information