Thread: Para Mukti,Pada/Krama Mukti-Two Types of Mukthi

Para Mukti,Pada/Krama Mukti-Two Types of Mukthi

Namaste,

In the system I am studying there is an interesting concept of two varieties of Mukti(realization):

1.Para (Ultimate/Eternal) Mukti
    2.Pada/Krama (Graded/Stages) Mukti.

Para is Final whereas a Jiva that has attained Pada/Krama Mukti is reborn again.

The Siddhanta Sampradaya has a
    n intricate theory with types of mukti,margas(path) to follow and the results.It is rather big but I will summarize it.

Para Mukti is attained only through Gnana Marga,which causes Saayujya.

In contrast Dasa,Putra & Saha(Sakha?) margas lead to Saalokya,Saamipya and Saarupya and all these result in a temporary or intermediate liberation.

Pada Mukti is similar to attaining a particular loka,enjoying the fruits of Punya Karmas and upon exhaustion,re-birth is inevitable.

I read once that a concept similar to Krama Mukti is found in the Vedas itself(probably in the Rig Veda where Pitrus(manes) and
    afterlife effects of various Yajnas are discussed).
    These beliefs maybe found in the Upanishads as well.

I would like to know about the presence of these ideas in the Sruti,could any members point of in which Upanishads(and Veda Mantras) these concepts(types of Mukti,Saalokya,Saayujya etc.,the 4 Margas) are found?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Para Mukti,Pada/Krama Mukti-Two Types of Mukthi

Namaste,

As far as I know Krama-mukti is simply the progressive effort towards liberation whereas Sadyomukti is the processless immediate experience of Brahman.

Yajurveda 40.14: One who clearly understands the concept the Vidya (Knowledge) as well as Avidya, guides himself accordingly through actions from bondage of death to ultimate bliss of Mukti.

Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) 3.29.13:
    salokya-sarsti-samipya-
    sarupyaikatvam apy uta
    diyamanam na grhnanti
    vina mat-sevanam janah

salokya--living on the same planet; sarsti--having the same opulence; samipya--to be a personal associate; sarupya--having the same bodily features; ekatvam--oneness; api--also; uta--even; diyama--nam--being offered; na--not; grhnanti--do accept; vina--without; mat--My; sevanam--devotional service; janah--pure devotees.
    A pure devotee does not accept any kind of liberation--salokya, sarsti, samipya, sarupya or ekatva--even though they are offered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

"Many upanisadic passages describe liberation as the absorption of the soul into Brahman. This initial stage of the soul's entry into the effulgent Brahman sphere is called sayujya-mukti. Having attained the spiritual world, the soul may attain four higher kinds of mukti, all of which share the quality of unity established in sayujya-mukti. (Vs 4.4.4)

"The liberated soul is an enjoyer. In sayujya-mukti, the soul enjoys transcendental bliss without a spiritual body like a sleeping person enjoys dreams. The bliss of personal liberation, in which the soul manifests a spiritual body, is far greater. The desire of the liberated soul to enjoy is not materially motivated, for his pleasure is the mercy of the Supreme Lord." (Vs 4.4.13-14)
    Last edited by IcyCosmic; 11 January 2015 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    pure devotee does not accept any kind of liberation--salokya, sarsti, samipya, sarupya or ekatva--even though they are offered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Namaste!
    I read this verse first time and like it so much but I feel that its little bit incomplete, so do u know the verses after this one? Means what pure devotee accept from god?...
    Thank you and pranam!!
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste,

As far as I know Krama-mukti is simply the progressive effort towards liberation whereas Sadyomukti is the processless immediate experience of Brahman.

Yajurveda 40.14: One who clearly understands the concept the Vidya (Knowledge) as well as Avidya, guides himself accordingly through actions from bondage of death to ultimate bliss of Mukti.
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks.

Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) 3.29.13:
    salokya-sarsti-samipya-
    sarupyaikatvam apy uta
    diyamanam na grhnanti
    vina mat-sevanam janah

salokya--living on the same planet; sarsti--having the same opulence; samipya--to be a personal associate; sarupya--having the same bodily features; ekatvam--oneness; api--also; uta--even; diyama--nam--being offered; na--not; grhnanti--do accept; vina--without; mat--My; sevanam--devotional service; janah--pure devotees.

A pure devotee does not accept any kind of liberation--salokya, sarsti, samipya, sarupya or ekatva--even though they are offered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

"Many upanisadic passages describe liberation as the absorption of the soul into Brahman. This initial stage of the soul's entry into the effulgent Brahman sphere is called sayujya-mukti. Having attained the spiritual world, the soul may attain four higher kinds of mukti, all of which share the quality of unity established in sayujya-mukti. (Vs 4.4.4)
    These verses seem to be speaking of some other type of Mukti than the four known as Saalokya,Saamipya,Saarupya & Saayujya.And Saayujya itself is Final whereas the above it is said as initial!

"The liberated soul is an enjoyer. In sayujya-mukti, the soul enjoys transcendental bliss without a spiritual body like a sleeping person enjoys dreams. The bliss of personal liberation, in which the soul manifests a spiritual body, is far greater. The desire of the liberated soul to enjoy is not materially motivated, for his pleasure is the mercy of the Supreme Lord." (Vs 4.4.13-14)
    In my limited understanding Saayujya is either merging into Paramatma i.e. there no longer exists a Jivatma/soul or alternatively while the Jivatma still exits independently it has complete realization of non-difference,thus there is no sense of duality/'I'-ness.

What is the spiritual body being spoken of,is it different from atma/soul?Does the soul assume an other form/body which is distinct?

Could you clarify these Ji.

(What is the scripture abbreviated as Vs in the above references?)
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

I am not qualified enough to give you an accurate answer to your questions therefore I will allow someone else to answer that.

'VS' is short for Vedanta Sutras.

Thread Information