Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Sivaratri

2012 Sivaratri

Vanakkam,

SAT 21 Jan 2012 is Masa Sivaratri , hope we are use this special day with special inner cultivation and realize that Lord Shiva never separate with us.

MON 20 Feb 2012 is MAHA SIVARATRI

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: 2012 Sivaratri

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Vanakkam,

SAT 21 Jan 2012 is Masa Sivaratri , hope we are use this special day with special inner cultivation and realize that Lord Shiva never separate with us.

MON 20 Feb 2012 is MAHA SIVARATRI
    Vannakkam Shian: Here it is on the 19, Sunday, but given you are on the west side of the date line, that makes sense.

I'll probably make it til the midnight puja, then go home. Every year I tell myself I'm gonna stay up, but then when it comes to the real thing, its so tiring. You?

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

Thank you for sharing EM

Sat, 21 Jan night i was busy,
    But after 00:00 , i clean my body, offer dhupa and white candle to Lord Shiva , then meditate on His form (hold kapala and trishul), visualize His light touch entire universe and give benefit to all beings, chant His Name.

In first time, i want to wish for my self (worldly things) because i know this is special night.

But i think, today is special day, i should learn to do puja only for love to Lord,

Then i think, love to Him , devotion to Him, must know what will make Him pleased.

He love all beings, And to lead all beings to Him, i should spread about how Lord Shiva will improve our mind and give us greatest benefit, then to spread it we need action with phisicaly and mind. So, now i can do it by mind :

Doing merit dedication :
    "May all being is faster have divine knowledge about Lord Shiva, then they will gain true happiness."

I wish Lord Shiva forgive me because my Sivaratri is not perfect.
    Because i not have many knowledge about Sivaratri.
    But i have sincere and love toward Him, and in the end i feel blessed
    And i feel He love me too

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Well, I didn't even know about yesterday but I'll have to keep it in mind. I'm planning on doing the vigil this year and, EM, here's a little secret about the Maha Shivaratri vigil.

It's boring as all hell and every three hours you perform a small pooja and then you go back to being bored out of your mind. Especially if you are at a temple where there is only one other devotee willing to stay the night. And you freeze because it's so freaking coooold when the temple's empty. And you will start to fall asleep and then jerk awake and feel guilty and then you'll feel bored again.

I enjoy Maha Shivaratri but it's sooooo boring when there's only you and a man who barely speaks any English there.

That aside, I'm looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    Well, I didn't even know about yesterday but I'll have to keep it in mind. I'm planning on doing the vigil this year and, EM, here's a little secret about the Maha Shivaratri vigil.

It's boring as all hell and every three hours you perform a small pooja and then you go back to being bored out of your mind. Especially if you are at a temple where there is only one other devotee willing to stay the night. And you freeze because it's so freaking coooold when the temple's empty. And you will start to fall asleep and then jerk awake and feel guilty and then you'll feel bored again.

I enjoy Maha Shivaratri but it's sooooo boring when there's only you and a man who barely speaks any English there.

That aside, I'm looking forward to it!
    Vannakkam: For a few years there in my youth I did it. I think age has something to do with it .. something like recuperation from injuries. At 14 I'd twist an ankle and be back running in 2 to 3 days. At 45-50 I'd twist an ankle and it would take 2 weeks. Same thing with jet lag, or staying awake for Sivaratri. The recovery period just seems so long.

The temple here is never cold. (Outside can be nutty cold.) Wisely, they put in in-floor heating so the temple floor is almost hot some days. That makes you sleepier though.

Aum Namasivaya

I have never heard anyone describe a vigil as boring before. It can be difficult to adhere to, but boring, really?

I don't know, I dozed off all the times except one time. It is not easy especially for one person to do it for himself or herself as DK points out.

I don't do vigil anymore but just do the puja once in the evening. For vigil, one has to have some company or a general practice of keeping up all night.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Vannakkam: As I recall, it really helped to have other people. We'd sing bhajans, have a coffee break, gab a bit, prepare for the next puja, etc. The lingam at out temple was consecrated on Sivaratri day.

Here's an old article I found ... 30 years this year.

http://64.151.103.91/modules/smartse...php?itemid=259

Aum Namasivaya

During a jagran or fast, if you want to commit to it fully, it is not so much about entertaining yourself or each other, but to become the host for bhagavan. Even if you do this alone, you are in company of the devata.

Hari Om Namah Shivaya.

I bought tickets to see the finest orchestra and waited for weeks to take my young adults to hear them play.

Every chord, plucked the strings of my heart...and times I almost cried as I listened. My child, fell asleep.

My client needed a ride to his eagle scout high decision making council...which decided the fate of young men who were applying for the honor.

He was riveted...almost 97 years old...and up most of the time, hobbling around on his cane...working very hard...

This was a very prestigious moment for many people...all of them taking this very seriously.

and I....drew cartoons of old men in boy scout uniforms ....helping "old ladies" across the street...then read a book, dozed....and nearly fell out of my chair as I waited for him to go home.

Recently, I worked very hard to prepare a feast...food was so wonderful...everyone rave over it. I had nothing. After preparing food for three days...I was ill.

I have never been bored as I sit up alone, at the feet of Beloved and sing. I have been exhausted, so much so...with twin newborns...that I fell asleep at his feet. Some times, the energy so profound I was wired! Like a firecracker...up and up and up some more.

Each one of us has a different perspective which can even change for us too. But, I do agree this moment needs no one but you to fullfill it.

If there is no one from this realm to speak to...good.

Speak to Beloved Shiva. Who better to keep you company but Beloved Everything!<3
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 22 January 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling:P

Thread Information