Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Brahman

Beyond Brahman

Hello and Good Day

My question today concerns the very deepest reality. I understand that Brahman is considered the absolute, beyond all form, and beyond all space and time, but I've read that it is possible to transcend even Brahman. If the lifespan of Brahman is roughly 300 trillion human years, and the cycle then restarts, then inevitably we are again reincarnated, but I've read that true enlightenment transcends even Brahman. Similarly I've read that beyond the highest state of bliss is transcending experience itself.

If anyone has any insight into this or possibly a reference that I can read into I'd really appreciate it.

Namaste

Re: Beyond Brahman

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by drewclayman View Post
    Hello and Good Day

My question today concerns the very deepest reality. I understand that Brahman is considered the absolute, beyond all form, and beyond all space and time, but I've read that it is possible to transcend even Brahman. If the lifespan of Brahman is roughly 300 trillion human years, and the cycle then restarts, then inevitably we are again reincarnated, but I've read that true enlightenment transcends even Brahman. Similarly I've read that beyond the highest state of bliss is transcending experience itself.

If anyone has any insight into this or possibly a reference that I can read into I'd really appreciate it.

Namaste
    I've asked a similar question before.
    You're still considering you as a separate self who will experience something after libeation.
    Brahman is not an experience itself but the experiencer.
    We are just false superimpositions on Brahman so all we can do is destroy ignorance.
    Brahman without an object of experience is like deep sleep without dreaming.
    Last edited by ale84; 30 August 2014 at 05:43 AM.

Namaste,

"Brahman" doesn't have a lifespan. "BrahmA" does. You are making a confusion between those two terms.

BrahmaN is the absolute,impersonal, while BrahmA is the creator personal God that came out of Vishnu's navel, depicted with four heads, holding the vedas, etc.

Pranams

Hello again.
    Ekam is right, it seems you contradicted yourself, first saying that Brahman is beyond time and space and then saying it has a lifespan.
    Anyway I read somewhere that it is possible to attain brahmaloka after death and remain there (without being reborn in lower realms) until the end of the cycle (learning the dharma from Brahma himself) and attain moksha at the dissolution of the universe.

Namaste

Brahman can creat ! Brahman is nirgun attribute less therefore can not creat anything

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    We are just false superimpositions on Brahman so all we can do is destroy ignorance.
    This suggests 2 , no? The super-imposition and brahman. Is this possible ?

This conversation so far has brah, brahma, brahman, nirguṇa¹ brahman, etc. ( so, saguṇa¹ cannot be far behind).

It seems to me that the new reader of all this would walk away confused.

iti śivaṁ

words
    • nirguṇa - without qualities; if I wrote nirguṇā it would be defined as 'having no cord or string ' - I hope one sees the association between the two.
    • saguṇa - with qualities; and if I wrote saguṇā it then would mean ' with cord or string'
    • brahman is defined as 'growth' , 'expansion' ; rooted in the 2nd derivative bṛh & bṛṁh to expand, to increase.
    Last edited by yajvan; 30 August 2014 at 06:22 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Drew,

Quote Originally Posted by drewclayman View Post
    I've read that it is possible to transcend even Brahman.
    Where did you read this ? How can the Infinite be transcended ?

If the lifespan of Brahman is roughly 300 trillion human years, and the cycle then restarts, then inevitably we are again reincarnated, but I've read that true enlightenment transcends even Brahman. Similarly I've read that beyond the highest state of bliss is transcending experience itself.
    As pointed out in Ekam's post you have no idea that BrahmA and Brahman are not the same things. BrahmA is one form of God which has a lifetime. Brahman is beyond time.

Nothing transcends Brahman. Brahman is whatever is, was and will be. There is nothing beyond Brahman.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Hello, yajvan

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ o�
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

This suggests 2 , no? The super-imposition and brahman. Is this possible ?
    I mean ego/mind/intellect which makes the One Awareness appear as many.

Namaste

Yes indeed there is nothing beyond Brahman. As Lord Krishna said to Arjuna in the Bhagavad gita 7.7 mattaḥ parataraḿ nānyat kiñcid asti dhanañjaya ... "O conqueror of wealth, there is no truth superior to Me. Everything rests upon Me, as pearls are strung on a thread." (mattaḥ -- beyond Me; para-taram -- superior; na -- not; anyat kiñcit -- anything else; asti -- there is; dhanañjaya -- O conqueror of wealth).
    Thus what Lord Krishna says here is that He -- Person of Lord Krishna, or let we say Personal Brahman in the form of Lord Krishna -- is ultimate and the highest truth there is because, as He says, "there is no truth superior to Me". So Lord Krishna says here that He himself is this the most superior truth there is, ie Brahman. Thus we learn that nothing is beyond Lord Krishna who is the highest or Supreme Brahman.

Newbies to Hindu dharma should first try to learn some basics of Hindu dharma philosophy and they should try to not become confused with some terms such as Brahman and Lord (god, demigod) Brahma (one of the three most important gods: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva), and then they should try to learn what is "enlightenment" and what it means to "transcends" and then they will not be confused.

Then the next step should be to meet some of the fundamental differences in the philosophical interpretation and understanding of some of the Hindu Dharma traditions such as Advaita and a Vaishnava. Then a newbie to Hindu Dharma will be much less confused.
    Long ago I tried to explain in a few words these fundamental differences in the philosophical interpretation, see here beginning with post #18 and forward: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...t=11081&page=2

-----------
    Bhagavad gita quote see at BBT, vedabase

regards

Om

Namaste

I think it is a confusion between Brahman and Brahma.

Whereas Brahma is the god of creation Brahman is the permanent substratum of all what can be percieved or not percieved.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thread Information