Thread: Control of subconscious mind through Yoga

Control of subconscious mind through Yoga

Namaste all,
    Does anyone know how to control subconscious mind through Yoga? Is it through the meditative aspect of Ashtanga or Raja Yoga or is there more to it?

Thanks,
    realdemigod
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Re: Control of subconscious mind through Yoga

हरिः ओम्

Namaste RDG,

I would venture that through yoga we learn that our subconscious mind is God and we let go of all thoughts of control, so as to gently take the reigns.
    I find that my daily meditative process is exactly this, as best I can.
    It is stead fast practis of Raja Yoga that will save you, should you completely lose control, upon realising God conciousness; thus the importance of practis.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 13 May 2012 at 08:07 AM.
    8i8

Vannakkam: RDG, what do you mean by subconscious mind? I'm not sure if what I'm thinking, and you're thinking would be the same, so before responding, I'd like to know more, definition wise.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste RDG,

I would venture that through yoga we learn that our subconscious mind is God and we let go of all thoughts of control, so as to gently take the reigns.
    I find that my daily meditative process is exactly this, as best I can.
    It is stead fast practis of Raja Yoga that will save you, should you completely lose control, upon realising God conciousness; thus the importance of practis.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Namaste,

Actually, it is the superconscious mind that is God/the soul. It is deeper yet than even the subconscious. Once you have reached the superconscious state through meditation, then both the conscious and subconscious are automatically under control. The superconscious state is what is experienced through samadhi.

OM

Thanks all for your comments,
    EM, by subconscious I mean the part of mind which is responsible for our feelings, emotions, automatic responses, learned habits and behaviours etc.,
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

Vannakkam RDG: Then I know of no way in which to use yoga to control it. You can work on it slowly through using your will to direct the mind towards certain experiences, but this is no quick-fix yogic treatment.

From my limited understanding, the subconscious is a conglomerate of all conscious mind experiences. Each conscious mind experience leaves a remnant of mental substance behind, which 'builds' the subconscious. A simple example might be people you meet of a particular ethnicity. If most of the the people are of a certain quality, then the subconscious starts working to create a mindset that fits to those experiences. So then when you encounter another member of that ethnicity, you don't have to re-assess, or re-observe.

So the way to alter any part of your subconscious is to consciously direct your experiences by using your will. Create enough 'positive' conscious mind experiences with something that was formerly 'negative', and your subconscious is slowly transformed. So for things like meditation, at first you may start out being able to sit for only 3 seconds. After you do that ten times, the mind begins to become molded into thinking it can actually do this. Then it's 5 seconds, etc, and this slow method works to reprogram it.

In this long term method, it is incredibly important not to put in conflicting beliefs. That's another reason some of us recommend not going buffet style with religion.

Some often ponder whether or not they have actually been successful at reprogramming the subconscious. Responses are one way to tell. In the transition period from non-veg to veg for example, one may drive past a burger joint and get the feeling they want to stop. After a few years that feeling is no longer there.

Another strong way is the subconscious dreams. For example, you never even dream of eating meat, or you can't even commit adultery in your dreams. You always wake up saying, "I'm married!" Your religious dreams are about temples. This in-between dream state is often a good reflector of what you really think.

Of course, the more firm the original programming is, the harder it is to change. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

I had a close friend diagnosed with cancer who was really interested in ayurveda. She went back to western medicine and she told me, "I was just so scared." So another idea is, "what happens when push comes to shove?" In a dire strait or a dire state of mind, then what happens. which God do you pray to then?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Aum namah Śivāya View Post
    ... Actually, it is the superconscious mind that is God/the soul ...
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste Aum Namaḥ Śivāya,

God conciousness!

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Namaste all,
    Does anyone know how to control subconscious mind through Yoga?
    Yes, get rid of mind and there is no contolling needed. These are not my words, but that of patañjali’s yogadarśana.
    Patañjali’s first words on this matter is the following : yogaś citta-vṛtti-nirodhaḥ
    • yogaś - process of yoking; union from 'yuj'
    • citta - as a noun it is thinking , reflecting , imagining , thought; some put this as active mind
    • vṛtti - ' rolling , or rolling down' i.e. patterning, turnings, movements.
    • nirodhaḥ - suppression , destruction ; some prefer stilling, cessation, restriction
    He informs us that yoga brings nirodhaḥ to citta ( the flickering mind). Now there are other views ( not different) on this matter but this for now applies nicely.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thanks all again for your replies
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

Thread Information