Thread: Sanskrit Words in Other languages

1. Sanskrit Words in Other languages

We have created a list of 1000+ Sanskrit words which are used on a regular basis in day-to-day Tamil language in both spoken and written forms. We are in the process of updating this list, on a regular basis.

The file is available under the heading ‘Sanskrit Words in Tamil’ at the following address http://sanskritroots.com/sanskrit-and-tamil/

In the present list of 1000+ words in Sanskrit and Tamil, we could identify approximately 800+ words in Hindi, which share similar phonetics and meaning to the above two languages.

We are in the process of identifying and updating the corresponding words in Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi etc

The objective behind the above effort is to enable Tamil students to understand, how they are already familiar with words which are used in other languages, as well. With a bit of extra effort, they can clearly master many other Indian languages.

The site www.sanskritroots.com contains opinions on Sanskrit and Tamil by learned scholars like Dr. Ambedkar, Mahatma Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda, Dr. Abdulkalam and others.

A separate section on Sanskrit words used in Tamil literature and writings, spanning varied time horizons, is also being updated on a regular basis.

We request a review of the above effort by yourselves and would solicit your feedback and comments to tune up the effort. Our efforts are oriented to enable our present and future generations to appreciate, preserve and promote our rich linguistic legacy.

Ours is purely a non-profit initiative.

Sanskrit Roots
    Last edited by Sanskrit Roots; 04 August 2013 at 03:23 PM.

Re: Sanskrit Words in Other languages

Suddha Bengali is majorly sanskrit words but adopted
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Vannakkam: I've always like 'punch' as in fruit punch from panch meaning 5. Ever since I learned that, if I'm at some western howdown (staff year-end cordial) and someone serves punch it reminds me of Panchamirtham which in turn reminds me of God.

Aum Namasivaya .

Good effort. Now I can show this to my tamil friends who claim Sanskrit was dervied from tamil. May be you should include Telugu, Urdu (through Persian) as well as these two language were heavily influenced by Sanskrit.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Thread Information