Thread: Bharatiya Ekta Mandir of Arizona

Bharatiya Ekta Mandir of Arizona

Namaste,

For my second and third visits to a Hindu temple, I visited Bharatiya Ekta Mandir of Arizona. I think that many people might be interested in visiting this temple, so I thought I'd share my experience.

The prayer hall is almost like a heavenly palace. The dominant colors are gold and white. Bells are suspended from the ceiling. The ceiling rests on golden pillars. There is a hallway starting to the left that I think is for circumnambulation (pradakṣiṇā), walking around the shrines clockwise with a mind of devotion. As you enter the prayer hall, you first see the bronze image (mūrti) of Lord Gaṇeśa at your level, standing right in front of you, so that you greet him first, as is proper. There are also images of Lord Gaṇeśa on the platform ahead in the shrine dedicated to Lord Śiva and his family.

The prayer hall contains five large shrines and two newer, smaller shrines on the platform in front of the worshipers. The shrine in the center, which is probably the first shrine you will notice, contains a white image of Lord Kṛṣṇa, playing his flute. The image of Goddess Rādhā stands to his left (to the right from the viewer's perspective). A divine consort is always placed to the God's left. Śrī Nāthjī stands to the left of Goddess Rādhā. Śrī Nāthjī is a black image of Lord Kṛṣṇa as a child with his left hand upraised, as in a story in the Bhāgavata Purāṇa.

The next thing you'll probably notice is the shrine to your far left, because it is different from the rest. It is a shrine for the Jains. I think this says something beautiful about the people who planned the temple.

The second shrine from the left contains a liṅga, representing Lord Śiva, surrounded by images of the family of Lord Śiva. Lord Gaṇeśa is to his right. Mother Pārvatī (or Umā) is to his left. I believe that one of the small images in front of the liṅga is of Lord Śiva, as well.

Between the shrine of Lord Śiva and the central shrine of Lord Kṛṣṇa is a shrine that contains an image of Goddess Durgā and I believe Mother Kālī and Goddess Sarasvatī also.

To the right of the shrine to Lord Kṛṣṇa is a shrine to Mahā Lakṣmī.

Next to the right is the shrine of Lord Rāma, Goddess Sītā, Lord Lakṣmaṇa, and Lord Hanumān. I've learned that if you're looking for the image of Lord Rāma, look for the arrows visible over his right shoulder and the bow in his left hand. If there is a shorter image of someone who looks like Lord Rāma to his right, that is Lord Lakṣmaṇa. Goddess Sītā is placed to his left. Lord Hanumān is placed in front of Lord Lakṣmaṇa, kneeling to the right toward Lord Rāma.

At the far right is the shrine of Lord Veṅkaṭeśvara. Lord Veṅkaṭeśvara is black in color and easily identified by the mark (tilak) on his forehead.

My first visit was yesterday, during a worship service (pūjā). My second visit was tonight, about 15 minutes before closing. Tonight I bowed to each image with my palms pressed together close to my face (except for the images in the shrine for the Jains, because it seemed inappropriate). When I was I finished, I turned to leave. A priest in front of Lord Veṅkaṭeśvara kindly called after me. He said, "Excuse me, sir. Come receive prasād ['grace,' 'favor']." He was inviting me to receive a portion of the food that had been offered to the deity, consecrated, and imbued with the God's blessing. I placed my right palm on top of the left palm, imitating the gentleman to my right. This was my first time receiving prasād. In this way I received the Lord's blessing. This meant a lot to me.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Re: Bharatiya Ekta Mandir of Arizona

Namaste,

Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed post. It means a lot to many of us to make a virtual visit to such a mandir through your description.

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    In this way I received the Lord's blessing. This meant a lot to me.
    You are so blessed. May you continue to be showered with the blessings of the deities.

Pranam.

Vannakkam anucarh: I echo Believer's sentiments. It's always nice to hear about different temples. For old guys like Believer and myself, who like to travel, it can give us a heads up on where to go if we're staying a night in any particular town.

It's nice to hear you're becoming more familiar with the routines, too.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste, Believer and Eastern Mind.

Thank you for your comments and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    You are so blessed. May you continue to be showered with the blessings of the deities.
    Thank you for your kind wishes.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Thread Information