Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limited Options on Temples in My Area

Limited Options on Temples in My Area

Namaste,

Lately I have been really wanting to visit a temple, but after doing some searching online it seems as though my options are very limited, as I can only find 2 temples in my area. I live in Columbus, OH, and it is a decent sized city, so I find it hard to believe there would only be 2! Perhaps there are more, but just not easily found online. That's what I hope anyway.

One of them is an ISKCON temple (http://iskconcolumbus.com/), and I have to admit after reading on here a bit I am a little apprehensive about getting involved in ISKCON. Also, I consider myself a follower of Shiva, so would it be appropriate for me to go to ISKCON? I know ultimately they are all one and the same, but Shiva is where I feel connected, and I would love to share my love of Shiva with others.

The other isn't as close, and I'm not sure about at all: http://www.columbushindutemple.org/. Reading through the website, the first thing I notice is how there is a charge for almost everything, and you have to join and pay a membership fee. Is this normal?. I understand that it probably costs money to run a temple and the services offered are probably very valuable, but the money thing seems a bit overemphasized. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding.

I would love to hear the thoughts of more experienced members on this situation. Where would you go? How can I find other temples besides these two?

Thank you.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Limited Options on Temples in My Area

Namaste,

Here is a third one, although a small one,
    SRI LAKSHMI GANAPATHI TEMPLE & HINDU CULTURAL CENTER OF OHIO
    A nonprofit organization under 501(c) (3)
    2764, Sawbury Blvd,
    Columbus, Ohio 43235
    (614) 987-5775 / (614) 668 9884
    http://www.satyanarayana.org
    www.hindutemplecolumbusohio.com

Of the three, the ISKCON one is dedicated to Bhagwan Krishna, and therefore of not much use to you, if you want to focus on Lord Shiva. The second one seems to be a multi-denominational one with multiple deities, where you could pray in front of your choice deity. The third one is a start up.

There never is a fee for visiting a temple or participating in the puja (services). Probably a misread on your part. But I would encourage you to visit as many temples as you can in your area before you decide which one you feel comfortable at and get some spiritual vibes at. Here is a link to prepare you for your much dreaded first visit.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    The other isn't as close, and I'm not sure about at all: http://www.columbushindutemple.org/. Reading through the website, the first thing I notice is how there is a charge for almost everything, and you have to join and pay a membership fee. Is this normal?. I understand that it probably costs money to run a temple and the services offered are probably very valuable, but the money thing seems a bit overemphasized. Hopefully I am just misunderstanding.

I would love to hear the thoughts of more experienced members on this situation. Where would you go? How can I find other temples besides these two?

Thank you.
    Vannakkam: Believer has done some good work in finding another one. I can add a bit about your concerns on fees. There is never ever an entrance fee. For special pujas there usually is, although some temples do function on donations alone or 'suggested donation'. This is to cover the cost of the materials used in the rites for each individual ceremony on the list, and a bit of a bonus for the priest's extra time.

The members of a temple society make decisions on how that particular temple is run. They have a general meeting at least once a year, elect trustees, and facilitate the management of that particular temple. One would only become a member if they wanted a say in how it's run, or if they wanted to volunteer on the Board of Directors. Consequently, it is only usually a small percentage of the devotees ho attend any particular temple that are members. Hope this helps.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Thank you both for taking the time to respond and clarify. I am especially interested in that other temple you found Believer. I think I might like to visit that one when I am ready.

Also thank you for clarification on the monetary aspect of temple membership. I feel much better about it now that I understand how that works.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Can I show up at the temple anytime, or should I go at a particular time or day? I don't want to be disruptive or disrespectful by showing up at the wrong time or in the middle of a service.

Thank you all.
    Last edited by fem_phoenix1109; 11 September 2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Hari Om

Namaste FemPhoenix

First, it is good to see that JaiJi and BelieverJi, who were two members who were helpful in their postings and responses in leading up to my first visit a few years ago, are still going strong. Had spent much time in Monasteries, but never Temple. So even though a wee bit older (muuuuch older) then you, something new can cause apprehension for sure.

Next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, will be in Columbus, Ohio. Just an offer, but would go with you to second Temple, in Powell, Ohio. This is some distance from my business, but not too far for this experience. If you are interested in having someone else experience this Temple for first time and not so far removed from first visit to any Temple, would be glad to meet you there and go in with you.

If you have any interest, please just PM me. This is one of cool things with HDF, two members helped me as they have helped others, and I get gift of doing same thing.

Regardless, best of luck to you.

Om NamahShivaya

FFTW

Namaste,
    Namaste,

Can I show up at the temple anytime, or should I go at a particular time or day? I don't want to be disruptive or disrespectful by showing up at the wrong time or in the middle of a service.

Thank you all.
    The temples are usually open in the morning till about noon time and then in the afternoon/evening from 4 (or 5) till 7 (or 8). You may visit them at any time they are open. If the service is going on when you get there, you may sit on the ladies side on the back and when the service is over, you may go to the front to pay your respects to the deities. Most places have their 'big' weekly puja on Sundays - either at mid-day or in the evening. So, going there during the week when there are no crowds might be less intimidating.

There is no wrong time to visit the temple. Don't worry about doing anything wrong. Just visit and go with the flow.

Pranam.

Pranam-s,

I too have limited options on temples in my area. Therefore, I am making an organized schedule in order to fit in weekly temple visits - it was easier to visit during the summer and the driving distance didn't matter. But, since the fall semester just started, I have been really busy.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 11 September 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Namaste,

Thank you all.
    Vannakkam: All temples differ, even ones of the same sect. Management generally brings what they remember from back home, a natural occurrence. If you can go and watch what others do, that is always beneficial. Keen observation helps. Best wishes with it. You won't regret it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s,

I too have limited options on temples in my area. Therefore, I am making an organized schedule in order to fit in weekly temple visits - it was easier to visit during the summer and the driving distance didn't matter. But, since the fall semester just started, I have been really busy.
    Vannakkam: Which city or area. Perhaps Believer or I or someone else could suggest some place you don't know of.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information