Thread: Meaning of the Mantras

Hybrid View

Meaning of the Mantras

Hii everyone

somebody can help translate these mantras and what these mean or signify.

"Om Krang Kreeng Kroung sah Bhomay Namah"

"Om Drang Dreeng Draung sah Shukray Namah"

I'm guessing that these are tantric mantras for planets. Also wanted to know why are they different than the usual mantras.

thanks

love, peace and goodlife to all.

Re: Meaning of the Mantras

Namaste Goodlife,

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    somebody can help translate these mantras and what these mean or signify.
    Let me try for you.

"Om Krang Kreeng Kroung sah Bhomay Namah"
    OM = OM (its explanation is too vast. OM is whatever is)

Krang, kreeng & kroung = Beej mantras ( they don't have any special meaning (as far as I know) but have special powers to invoke the deity)

Sah = He

Bhomay Namah = I bow to Bhom (Mangal (Hindi), Mars(English), a graha or planet).

"Om Drang Dreeng Draung sah Shukray Namah"

As above, Drang, Dreeng & Draung are Beej Mantras.
    Shukray namah = I bow to Shukra (Shukra is a graha or planet, Venus (English))

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thanks Devotee

Umm i kind of have an idea what the mantras in whole mean. I was more looking to to understand the Krang Kreeng and Drang Dreeng. What exactly do they mean? how are they beneficial? which branch of Sanatan Dharm do they have origin in? Is it Sanskrit?

thanks

love, peace and a good life to you.

This is not Sanskrit. As far as I know, these words have no meaning. These are called "beej mantras" which produce special vibrations when pronounced correctly & help in connecting to the deity being worshipped.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

If I may let me extend the conversation just a bit more from where devotee left off with regard to this "Om Krang Kreeng Kroung sah Bhomay Namah"

Mars is maṅgal मण्गल् or maṅgala मङ्गल. When we think of Mars we think of fire and the color red. Another name for Mars is bhauma. This bhauma is also a red-flowering punar-navā.

Bhauma also means (primarily) relating or dedicated to the earth , produced or coming from the earth. One mantra to Mars calls out bhūmi-putra or son (putra) of the earth (bhūmi) - hence connected back to bhauma. Mars has much to do with the earth and we can leave that for another time.

Venus or śukra शुक्र has been mentioned. If you care to look a bit deeper into this name please consider this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107

With regard to the bīja (seed) sounds that accompany the mantra i.e. kṛṁ कृं ( some prefer it written kreem) and the like, each seed sound is owned/influenced/stimulated by that bīja (seed) sound that is associated to a grāhaka. That is, each sound has a influence, an intent.

As you would suspect this 'k' sound stimulates Mars. What are Mars seed sounds?

• ka - it is a influence of fire hence maṅgala - perhaps saying aṅgāra is better - aṅgāra is charcoal. We think of heat & flame with charcoal; another name of Mars. Also aṅgiras which is a noun of agni and also a family of ṛṣi-s. We can see the connection to aṅgāra and aṅgiras - both deal with luminosity.
    • kha - (my favorite) as it is associated with ākāśa. This HDF post is all about this ākāśa
      http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4704
      This akāśa is expressed by khaṁ खं bīja vibration (from kha) and this khaṁ is said to be brahman¹.
    • ga - is rooted in gam; ga is associated with or a noun of gaṇeśa. If you look for gaṇeśa mantra-s, you will find gam prevalent. Hence this tells us by this seed bīja Mars and gaṇeśa have an association.
      We will leave this for another time, yet this gam is 'going, moving' . We can see the association of Mars (energy) and gaṇeśa's removal of obstructions - both in going, moving, energy.
    • gha - is related to ga, and therefore remover of impediments. Some think it is due to Mars (aṅgāra), they , the obstuctions are burnt up. Some call this the stambha bīja. Stambha¹ स्तम्भ means stoppage suppression , hence to suppress or remove obstacles , and the connection to gaṇeśa.
    • a - is another name for bhairava. for more on this etymology see this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27257&postcount=75
    So we can see the richness of these bīja (seed) sounds for each planet or grāhaka¹. With this knowledge the wise can ~build~ mantra-s with the proper influence. This influence can be on the body-mind, also influence a particular rāśi¹ or bhāva¹.

So for each grāha there is a group of bīja (seed) sounds and these are made up of svara (vowels) and consonants (vyañjana) that are found in devanāgarī saṁskṛt. This devanāgarī = deva + nāgarī or the city of devatā or immortals, the deva. And we are taught that śiva is the owner or is reflected in the svara (vowels) and śakti is found in the consonants (vyañjana). From them all creation comes forth.

Such is this great wisdom of sound and form ( śabda and rūpa).

praām

words and references
    • Reference: Bṛhadaraṇyaka Upaniṣad - Khila khaṇḍa -Oṁ Kham Brāhma Brāhmaṇa
    • stambha स्तम्भis also a post , pillar , column , stem ; There is also the notion of a cosmic sthamba or cosmic column that connects earth and heaven - the material to the spiritual
    • grāhaka ग्राहक- one who seizes or takes captive ; from grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control
    • bhāva- -an astrological house or lunar mansion; it is rooted in (√) bhūbecoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance
    • rāśi - an astrological sign; this word also means a heap , mass , pile , group, like a heap of corn or rice. What's the connection? a sign is a heap of degrees i.e. 30º
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 October 2009 at 07:37 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thanks yajvan

but im more confused now.

1. What is a beej mantra?

2. What are other mantras than beej mantra?

3. If i' am not mistaken ( correct me), the same mantra we can also be dedicated to saturn by replacing bhomay with shanicharay.

4. Coul you elaborate your statement " As you would suspect this 'k' sound stimulates Mars"

5. Can you translate both the mantras word by word as to what does each word mean in both the mantras?

thanks for your patience.

love, peace and a good life to you.

Thread Information