Thread: How to Remember God(s) When Things are Bleak?

How to Remember God(s) When Things are Bleak?

Namaste HDF,

Please pardon me if this topic was discussed before, but I could use some advice on this matter. My mind is quite peculiar when it comes to when I remember and worship God(s): in times of joy and plenty, I find it easy to keep God(s) in mind and worship them. However, when I am going through dark periods, that's when I'm least likely to remember the God(s) and engage in worship activities like mantra chanting and meditation. I know for many people it's the opposite! I'm weird, I know.

I guess what I want to know is how I can be more mindful of the Gods when my life is bleakest? Anyone have advice on this?

Re: How to Remember God(s) When Things are Bleak?

Namaste

Maybe by seeking His help to solve the problem?

That's why the opposite happens for many people: they consider God the first and foremost help to solve problems, so that's the first thought that comes to our minds in times of distress.

Pranams.

Namaste Webimpulse,

I don't post much, but I have been faithfully reading for a few years now so I do know of your suffering and of your persistence in spite of it.

Your question brings an idea to my mind: could it be that in happier times you remember the Gods easily because they are obviously a part of happiness? So you don't have to be reminded of them. Your state of mind itself reminds you.

Maybe during the dark times it would help if you had certain times that you stopped what you were doing, and thought of the Gods. You would be thinking of the Gods because the time jogged you to -- you wouldn't have to wait for the happy impulse that was missing. (Because times are dark.) If it were me, I would choose when I wake up in the night, when I get up in the morning, at meal times and when I am in bed falling asleep at night. These are easy times to remember -- when it is that time, remember the Gods.

For me, personally, I think of them when I practice asana. And I think of them when I think about practicing asana. For me, I'm either practicing asana or thinking about practicing asana just about all the time! (Including when I wake up in the middle of the night.) So everything else flows out of that practice. But that's just how it happens for me. I begin my asana practice with an invocation to Patanjali which also sort of stays with me. When I am sluggish and full of fear I think of the conch and the discus from the invocation -- the conch as a call to action and the discus as the means to the action. Asana doesn't come easily to me which makes it like life (which often puzzles me a lot.)

I always wish you the very best,

Pranam
    Last edited by Caltha; 06 June 2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: to clear up poor wording

Namaste Webimpulse,

I have found that making a practis of observing my state upon first awakening; the time between sleep and wakefulness; mantra said at this moment can color your entire day. Try thanking the divine mother before letting your feet touch the ground, for supporting you through the day.

In times of darkness I have found that light can be seen at this very moment; before the cloud of your current "reality" descends. The practis of mantra at this time, can help to remind you that light can be let in at this very moment.

To help you in your spiritual practis:

The deva are your senses, prey to them and offer them your blessings appease them without over stimulating them; imbue your state of well being with sattva and you will calm the turbulence, perhaps you can eventually learn to ride the waves, without the fall.

Kind regards.
    8i8

A small child cries out for his mother ,when there is a problem even if it is a minute one . The same way all people remember the cosmic mother in times of difficulty . In your case it is the reverse according to your own confession. But nature responds immediately if your plea is very sincere and genuine . The very fact You do not think of cosmic mother in times of crisis , shows that your sadhana is scientific and not emotional The language of heart is love , but not logic . God lives there where love overflows .In fact Bhakthi is overflowing love May be in an advanced state the sadhaka crosses that need .Vedantha is different from Bhakthi according to me .Of all the paths Bhakthi yoga is the easiest and simplest Even for Kundalini awakening the safest path is bhakthi yoga when compared to gnanayoga , hatha yoga , Rajayoga ,even karma yoga . Rgds.

This remember me of one of my favorite moments of hindu devotional history, the prayer of Kunti, mother of the Pandavas to Lord Krishna, as stated in the Srimad Bhagavatam:

"Oh, Lord of the universe! May we always and under all circumstances meet danger, since all our moments of danger have given us the wonderful privilege of beholding Your benevolent face again and again and again."

This supreme devotee, finding easy to remember God in times of distress prays to Her Lord to send her as many moments of distress as possible, so He can never get out of Her mind!!

Can we imagine such strong Bhakti? Can one of us attain such state as forgetting our own well being for the Lord's sake? This passage always astounds me, and I always honor such great devotees as Kunti. If I had at least one drop of her Bhakti....
    Last edited by Ekam; 23 June 2014 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information