Thread: Removal of Sacred Thread on the Wrist

Removal of Sacred Thread on the Wrist

Vannakam,

I wear a number of sacred threads on my right wrist. Some I've been wearing for about 2 years while others I've worn only for a few months. They include one from the Kalighat Kali Temple in Kolkata. I'm proud of them as they were acquired and blessed in many famous and powerful temples from a number of countries. They also rouse the curiosity of people who see me wearing them and become an interesting topic of discussion.

Over time, they have started becoming dull and faded and also scraggly. Despite that, I've never wanted to remove them. But noticing them on my wrist one day, some one told me that the power(protection?) in the thread lasts only for a year and could(or should) be removed after that duration.

What is your opinion on this? Also, if I want to remove them(not all of course, maybe just one or two terribly faded ones), what is the proper procedure? Could I just cut them off or should I untie the knots?

In the past, I would always keep the removed threads and finally immerse them in the sea secretly without my parents realising(whenever we went on a beach holiday). I've done this twice already with 3 threads about four to five years ago. Is there a better way to do this?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Re: Removal of Sacred Thread on the Wrist

dear Equinox,

I will share with you a rather unusual story with regards to strings tied around the wrist.

This happened to my brother.

Once he had a thread tied across his wrist by a temple priest from a Hanuman temple.The priest told him never to remove it unless it falls on its own.

So my brother wore it all the time.

One day I dont know why my brother(a teen at that time) was very upset and cut the string and threw it out of his window. It landed somewhere in the back yard.

Then after a few minutes all of us heard a real loud sound and the glass window in his room shattered.

Then my brother saw that the thread which he threw was back on his table again.

He started screaming in fear and ran out of the room calling us!

Its weird why and how that happened.

I guess each string has its own reason to be with us.

I really dont know about expiry dates for such strings even though the common belief is 1 year.

But more than the string I think faith is more important.

A quick response...

Before bonding with such threads, you should have known answers for all these questions. See, bondage is very difficult to break or give up.

There are certain threads that shouldn't be taken off ever like South Indian thaali (mangal sutra). There are threads you wear for occasion and give up once the occasion is over. Then few other you wear for doing pooja, Homa etc. will be given up by the end of pooja or Homa

Finally the cases of energy manipulation and management! Black, red and shades of them, green, dark yellow, metals etc. These should be worn for a mandala or usually 45 days. Usually building bondage with these kinds are better business for the providers so they do ask you to renew it often. . Since we psychologically trust them more than our inherent abilities, we develope dependencies on them and would love to retain as part of us forever. Of course the scary stories of what happens if you throw them away, scratch them with not so holy etc. or the list of punishments if you don't honor those.

If you want to give up, pray to the deity for who this vrata, vow, protection seeking is taken and take their permission to get detached yet seek the grace to continue.

Hare Krshna!

Vannakkam,

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    dear Equinox,

I will share with you a rather unusual story with regards to strings tied around the wrist.

This happened to my brother.

Once he had a thread tied across his wrist by a temple priest from a Hanuman temple.The priest told him never to remove it unless it falls on its own.

So my brother wore it all the time.

One day I dont know why my brother(a teen at that time) was very upset and cut the string and threw it out of his window. It landed somewhere in the back yard.

Then after a few minutes all of us heard a real loud sound and the glass window in his room shattered.

Then my brother saw that the thread which he threw was back on his table again.

He started screaming in fear and ran out of the room calling us!

Its weird why and how that happened.

I guess each string has its own reason to be with us.

I really dont know about expiry dates for such strings even though the common belief is 1 year.

But more than the string I think faith is more important.
    Quite hard to think that that happened but I'll choose to believe that it did. Thank you for sharing that experience. Did your brother tie it back on his wrist then?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam,

Quite hard to think that that happened but I'll choose to believe that it did. Thank you for sharing that experience. Did your brother tie it back on his wrist then?

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Yes ..he did becos it landed right back after he threw it.

Vannakkam grames,

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    If you want to give up, pray to the deity for who this vrata, vow, protection seeking is taken and take their permission to get detached yet seek the grace to continue.
    Guess this is what I'm going to do. In the past I would never remove any and just let them untie and fall by itself before immersing them in the sea.

I know I should have known the answers before wearing them. I don't mean to make excuses, but some of them were sort of forced upon me by others without asking me if I really wanted them on my wrist or not, when I went on my visits to a few countries earlier. I couldn't bring myself to protest and say no so I just let it be. To them and also for me it was good and a form of protection but now they have started to look dull and untidy due to frequent contact with soap and water.

I also feel the Gods have already answered this question for me, because earlier in the morning my mother suddenly asked me why I'm wearing so many sacred threads on my wrist and it makes me look like a holy man(sadhu). She told me to remove some, for the first time ever, though she spotted them on my wrist months ago. Why couldn't she have said anything about it earlier? Why only today after I thought of removing some? It's probably God's signal to do so.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information