Thread: What is customary?

What is customary?

Namaste,

I would like to know what is customary when it comes to wishing others.

When I make a wish for others, I always resort to telling them, "I wish *your god* will grant you success" instead of telling them, "I wish *my god* will grant you success".

To explain in better terms, let us say Mrs. X is going through a troublesome phase and she is a 'Karuppanasami' worshiper. I am a Rama worshiper. So instead of telling her "I wish Shri Rama would bless you soon", I would say "I wish that Sri Karuppanasami would bless you soon".

What should I actually wish others with? Saying, "My deity will protect you" or "Your ishta-devata will protect you!"? Which one?

This is a simple question but it means something to me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Viraja; 14 August 2014 at 06:26 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: What is customary?

Namaste ji,

It depends how close you are to the person and how personal you would like to go.

For me I prefer to be neutral and give practical advise to a person instead of bringing in God or Istha Devata into the picture.

For example I know a person who went through a traumatic divorce and her arranged marriage broke down almost right after marriage.

Then sympathy started pouring in from well wishers and the famous one liner was "Dont worry..God will send you the right man to marry you soon"

So madam was thinking that God would handle everything for her and waited and waited for the knight in shining amour to arrive.

She became depressed that everyone was wondering when she would marry again.

She still wondered why God was not sending anyone and was almost losing faith in God.

Then I told her to get practical..God does not run a marriage agency.

I told her to go online and meet people and she did that and within 1 year she married a Turkish male who was surprisingly very open to the concept of Hinduism and he married her in a Hindu wedding and now they are happy living somewhere in UK and she and her children are practicing Hindus.

So the best is when someone has a problem..if you have time..sit with them ..identify the problem and give them practical advice. It usually works.

I say:

ALL THE BEST

And in formal, loving letters or written response, I write:

YOUR EVER WELLWISHER

When I say these things, I truly mean it.

I never say "I wish God grant you success". But I do say God Bless You. God Speed. You are an angel of God. I say You are my Mother (to Hindu female who is a grand mother or a great Hindu). I say You are a Great Devotee (to Hindu male). To a great man, I say Maharaj. To even a Good and Great man I say Prabhuji.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thanks for the great replies, Renuka ji, ShivaFan ji. I should learn to not involve someone's deity into the picture when wishing others, as you say. I will try to do it.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information