Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why cant Hindus eat Egg if it's not living and another question

Re: Why cant Hindus eat Egg if it's not living and another question

I'm sure that your question on egg-eating has been answered, but I just want to point out one more thing.

First, we must look at what an egg really is. An egg is, an unfertilized egg of the hen. In other words, a per**d. If we are not going to eat a human per**d, then why should we eat a hens'? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I would also like to point out that all the waste of the hen comes out from the SAME HOLE, the same hole that the egg comes out of. That is completely disgusting.

Now, to this, your friend may respond that if taking things from another animal is disgusting , then why do Hindus make an exception to drinking cow's milk. The thing is, as someone pointed out, the first right goes to the calf. Only the excess milk is taken, and it certainly does not hurt the cow. Milk also has good properties when PREPARED correctly, something our modern dairy industry can't seem to do. I should also point out that the cow is one of THE ONLY animals that allows you to take milk from her. Is it possible to take the milk of a chimpanzee? A lion? How about an elephant? Heck, you can't even take the milk of another human female and feed it to your child. But you can take the excess milk of the cow and feed it to children. This shows that greatness of the cow; she is beyond any discrimination.

Vegans may say that cow milk is not necessary for bones and can actually weaken them etc. While we do not need milk, it certainly doesn't hurt us. I remember Gary Yourofsky, a prominent vegan, talk about how the countries with the most consumption of dairy/eggs/meat also have the highest rates of osteoporosis and bone problems. Of course, USA and European counties stacked the highest. Then he went to say that the countries with the least amount of bone problems were the ones having Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, etc. Gary forgot to mention that those groups with the least amount of bone problems ALL DRINK MILK and dairy. Now, there appears to be a contradiction. Some who drink milk etc do get problems, and others don't. Why? It is because most Indians drink milk directly from the cow. Meaning no antibiotics pumped into the cow, no drugs used, etc. The milk taken directly from the cow from hands is the best milk available, and this is what is prescribed in the scriptures.

Hope I could have added something. If all of this is already mentioned, please forgive me.
    Regards

Namaste,

The answer is simple.

There are 2 types of eggs..one the fertilized eggs and the other the non fertilized eggs.

The ones sold in the shop are from the farm where the eggs are not fertilized and will not develop into a chick.

Technically there is life in that.

But Eggs are classified under Rajas group of food regardless if they are fertilized or not.

So its up to the person to decide :

1)If his idea of vegetarianism is not taking life of any animal..(in this case on technical grounds an unfertilized egg has no life..a might fit into his criteria.

or

2)His idea of vegetarinism is avoidance of Non Sattva food..so in this case since eggs fertilized or not is Rajas..a person might not want to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by axlyz View Post
    I'm sure that your question on egg-eating has been answered, but I just want to point out one more thing.

First, we must look at what an egg really is. An egg is, an unfertilized egg of the hen. In other words, a per**d. If we are not going to eat a human per**d, then why should we eat a hens'? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I would also like to point out that all the waste of the hen comes out from the SAME HOLE, the same hole that the egg comes out of. That is completely disgusting.

Now, to this, your friend may respond that if taking things from another animal is disgusting , then why do Hindus make an exception to drinking cow's milk. The thing is, as someone pointed out, the first right goes to the calf. Only the excess milk is taken, and it certainly does not hurt the cow. Milk also has good properties when PREPARED correctly, something our modern dairy industry can't seem to do. I should also point out that the cow is one of THE ONLY animals that allows you to take milk from her. Is it possible to take the milk of a chimpanzee? A lion? How about an elephant? Heck, you can't even take the milk of another human female and feed it to your child. But you can take the excess milk of the cow and feed it to children. This shows that greatness of the cow; she is beyond any discrimination.

Vegans may say that cow milk is not necessary for bones and can actually weaken them etc. While we do not need milk, it certainly doesn't hurt us. I remember Gary Yourofsky, a prominent vegan, talk about how the countries with the most consumption of dairy/eggs/meat also have the highest rates of osteoporosis and bone problems. Of course, USA and European counties stacked the highest. Then he went to say that the countries with the least amount of bone problems were the ones having Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, etc. Gary forgot to mention that those groups with the least amount of bone problems ALL DRINK MILK and dairy. Now, there appears to be a contradiction. Some who drink milk etc do get problems, and others don't. Why? It is because most Indians drink milk directly from the cow. Meaning no antibiotics pumped into the cow, no drugs used, etc. The milk taken directly from the cow from hands is the best milk available, and this is what is prescribed in the scriptures.

Hope I could have added something. If all of this is already mentioned, please forgive me.
    Regards
    Great answer, by the way, why put asterix on the word period? It's not a swear word, although i know how you feel, it makes one uncomfortable, don't know why though?
    "Hare Krisha Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare" ¬ The Glorious Mahamantra. Chant this 108 times a day and keep Samsara away

Quote Originally Posted by Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya View Post
    Great answer, by the way, why put asterix on the word period? It's not a swear word, although i know how you feel, it makes one uncomfortable, don't know why though?
    Thanks for your kind words. I only put asterisks because I didn't want anyone to take it offensively. I don't know, people can overreact in the internet.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    Your question was discussed in SrimadBhagawatham thousands of years ago in the story in 'DharmaVyadha', the butcher to whom a learned brahmin was sent to understand dharma. Their are two factors in it, tradition and personal choice. Half the Hindus are non-vegetarians, including some of the brahmin castes. Of course, I do not think anybody denies that vegetarianism is better than non-vegetarianism.
    Namastee, thank you for sharing something I have wondered about but thought it inappropriate to ask. I have asked a few of my friends and some of them have not eaten meat in over a decade or so. I have been trying to ween myself from it and it is working well, esp since I am not one of these guys who "need" meat several times a week.

However I have noticed that after refraining from it for a long time (weeks or so) that i have a voracious craving and eat heavy meats (ie: pork roast) which oddly I don't even like that much. Is that psychological or physiological??

Thanks for the info on eggs, I wondered that too.
    Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Is that psychological or physiological??

Aum
    Vannakkam: I think it's purely psychological. There is nothing in meat that would cause a craving. There are no addictive chemicals like in cigarettes, for example.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Is that psychological or physiological??
    It could also be an urge for specific micro-nutrients, depending on how carefully you are making sure your vegetarian diet is balanced and your personal physiology. For instance, iron. This is one you'll notice after a few months, 12 weeks or so, if you aren't getting enough. Some people don't process it well from plant fixed sources - I am one such and landed in an ER because of it once. But, I can balance that by eating extra of the greens, veges and beans that carry a lot of iron, and I have learned to recognize the symptoms and supplement if I have to now. If you haven't done so, check with your physician and have your levels checked, it's worth being sure you are changing your diet in the healthiest possible way.

EMji is right, there is certainly a psychological factor, but I sometimes wonder with all the chemicals and hormones livestock are fed and shot up with, if there isn't some kind of chemical thing there too... They say it doesn't get through to the consumer, but then they said that about the hormones and there is mounting evidence that's wrong...

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar ji,

It could also be an urge for specific micro-nutrients, depending on how carefully you are making sure your vegetarian diet is balanced and your personal physiology. For instance, iron. This is one you'll notice after a few months, 12 weeks or so, if you aren't getting enough. Some people don't process it well from plant fixed sources - I am one such and landed in an ER because of it once. But, I can balance that by eating extra of the greens, veges and beans that carry a lot of iron, and I have learned to recognize the symptoms and supplement if I have to now. If you haven't done so, check with your physician and have your levels checked, it's worth being sure you are changing your diet in the healthiest possible way.

EMji is right, there is certainly a psychological factor, but I sometimes wonder with all the chemicals and hormones livestock are fed and shot up with, if there isn't some kind of chemical thing there too... They say it doesn't get through to the consumer, but then they said that about the hormones and there is mounting evidence that's wrong...

~Pranam
    Nameste
    Thank you so very much. I will look into the iron factor because I don't want to refrain feom meat only to binge every so often. If it is physical I can correct it. If it is mental then I deal with it in other ways via meditation etc. Thank you
    Aum

Every living whether plant or animals are already known to SD as living beings. So, this wrong notion of vegetarian and non-vegetarian is not the secret of indian sub-continent.

Anything we consume should promote respective consciousness and provide strength to the muscles required depending on the VarnAshrama! Brahmanical Varna should consume only Saatvik food and thats it. If you are wanting to promote your consciousness as Brahamanical, consume only Saatvik food. Also be aware, there are so many vegetables or vegetarian food substances that are not saatvik and prohibited for consumption.

Thread Information