Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Does smRiti texts teach "some nonsense."

Re: Does smRiti texts teach "some nonsense."

Namaste

I am a simple person, I do not know anything. I have a question, since I am not understanding this thread, as if some are having a problem back and forth even with each other. My question is, is "Realization of Supreme Brahman" and "Brahman" the same thing?

And is revealing the Supreme, and the Supreme, the Same?

When my Lord Mahadeva meditates, as shown in the picture below, what is this meditation?

The Devas and Devi show us how. Why do They bother? One day a mystic is very grateful to a bird which has shown the mystic something which the mystic claims is Supreme. But this same bird worships the mystic. Who is Greater?

The Devas and Devi have done many wonders in the Great Histories. Have all Their Histories come to their End? Or can something happen right now? Do not the sacred texts show us any moment another wonder can happen?

The sacred texts are so very, very vast. Thank goodness some can tell us what they were told, there would not be enough time in this short life otherwise without the help of others to taste all of the wonders. I love the Devas and Devi. When and if those times come in the presence of a Lord, then I bow to that Lord. Why cannot the Devas and Devi bow to each other?

Everyone has association but it is all about who you associate with. The Devas and Devi associate with each other, and have for a long time. And we can associate with devotees, or even with those Devas and Devi, yes?

I like all the devotees, be Saiva, Vaishnav, Shakta, Vedanta, because day by day I am here now. Even the Devas and Devi like the association of devotees. And with Each Other. So I may have Lord Shiva, and you may have Krishna, and so on. It never seems to me to be about one over the other. Every second, something is happening, and it is what these seconds are made of that matters. I may be greater than my daughter, whatever that means. But those moments with her are what was, and is great.

Shiva can come anytime, Welcomed. Krishna, too. Gauri, please come. Also those who know the sacred texts, you have my audience if I may hear. Hinduism is the Ganga. Where does the Ganga start, and where does She end? Throw my ashes in the Ganga.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    In any case, Devotee is merely rehashing arguments that were already refuted in previous threads.
    "Refuted" ! Indeed !! that is the delusion you are in. Refusing to respond to your posts because of your kutarka is not equal to "getting refuted". You also used another word in another post, "defeat" ! I am amazed how you can be so serious !!

Please come out of your make-believe world that you have made around yourself.

I JUST DON"T WANT TO DISCUSS ANYTHING WITH YOU. ALL YOUR POSTS ARE FULL OF KUTARKA, in my humble opinion. It is better if you are able to see the meaninglessness of your arguments. If you can't ... then please stay away from my posts.

You are not missing anything by not responding to my posts. I don't understand why you are compelled to respond to my posts if they appear meaningless and flawed to you. Why is this virtual world's discussion so important for you ?? I have given my opinion in my posts. If you think that is wrong ... what is so disturbing about it .... unless I say something against you ... an act that you keep doing against my posts. Have you ever thought why I don't interfere with your posts in various other forums in spite of your incorrigible behaviour of keep derailing every thread I start discussion in ? It is because I don't come here to "win" against anyone. It is your problem that you have taken it so seriously.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Pranam

Now that's what you call a smart tactic, adopt a high moral ground make a vail attack on your perceived adversaries, avoid giving answers, instead heap insults back on to those whom you think you have been hard done by.

I have been accused of double standard that is putting it mildly,
    tolerance" are not uncommonly the ones who have the greatest objections to those opinions which fail to match their own. Case in point: the original poster argues against the idea that any passages in the smRiti are incorrect, and then goes on to ridicule those passages from the smRiti which he has a personal problem with:
    Let me reiterate my position on Puranas, I accept everyone of them that is authentic, unadulterated and not tempered with by vested interest.That means all the central theme of the the said Purana can not be questioned. I will not fall back on sruti to question the central theme, simply because for me to do so would only "insult"a great rishi who compiled them.

Sometimes this point is missed on people, that all forms belong to Brahman not just the names.
    As soon as we think of a name the form is invoked, as soon as we think of Agni fire will manifest as would Vayu, the wind.

Now we may make accusation that this all Devas are one in nature is a recent phenomena though i can also accuse that only in the medieval times this supremacy or hierarchy problem have arisen, then again this is not the purpose of this thread.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post

I have been accused of double standard that is putting it mildly,

Let me reiterate my position on Puranas, I accept everyone of them that is authentic, unadulterated and not tempered with by vested interest.
    Except of course, for the verses from the bhAgavatam which "crack you up" and the verse from the padma purANa saying that Lord Shiva will come in kali-yuga to teach mAyAvAda....

Nope. No double standard there. Can't imagine why anyone would even think that!
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I like all the devotees, be Saiva, Vaishnav, Shakta, Vedanta, because day by day I am here now. Even the Devas and Devi like the association of devotees. And with Each Other. So I may have Lord Shiva, and you may have Krishna, and so on. It never seems to me to be about one over the other. Every second, something is happening, and it is what these seconds are made of that matters. I may be greater than my daughter, whatever that means. But those moments with her are what was, and is great.

Shiva can come anytime, Welcomed. Krishna, too. Gauri, please come. Also those who know the sacred texts, you have my audience if I may hear. Hinduism is the Ganga. Where does the Ganga start, and where does She end? Throw my ashes in the Ganga.

Om Namah Sivaya
    I feel odd to post in this thread, I have nothing to offer to the OP or any other poster. But I read this above message amidst what seemed to be many hurt feelings and I too thought of extending the peace message what ShivaFanji has written here conveys.

The reason why I chose to write here, is all these members' knowledge astounds me - they have all read vedas, vedangas, puranas, ithihasas and so forth.. So much scholarly articles on various bhaktas, incidents from puranas, excerpts from vedas can be written... I, for one, want to write a nice scholarly post on the 'pativratas' of India, or one on the mighty warrior kings of olden days, like Chatrapathi Shivaji. But owing to scanty knowledge, I cannot. If only I possessed this knowledge!

So members should give little or no importance to the question of 'who is brahman' but instead concentrate on 'who can give moksha' and put their good knowledge to use, for simple souls like me to understand and appreciate Hinduism and Hindustan in as many ways can be.

Also my humble apologies to Ganeshprasad ji, for writing this message in the midst of heated discussions.

Om Namah Shivaya!
    Om Namo Bhagvate Vasudevaaya!
    Vetrivel Muruganukku Arogara!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Pranam

Except of course, for the verses from the bhAgavatam which "crack you up" and the verse from the padma purANa saying that Lord Shiva will come in kali-yuga to teach mAyAvAda....

Nope. No double standard there. Can't imagine why anyone would even think that!
    What part of authentic, unadulterated interpolation do you not understand?
    Just that we are on same page, let us establish or do we agree that the Puranas in some instances have been tempered with?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post

What part of authentic, unadulterated interpolation do you not understand?
    Just that we are on same page, let us establish or do we agree that the Puranas in some instances have been tempered with?
    It sounds to me like you need to decide what your view is before posting it here. At the very beginning of the thread you were arguing that nothing in the smRiti was unauthentic.

Now, it sounds like you are arguing that there are interpolated passages, and to consult you to determine which ones are real and which ones interpolated....
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

So, back on the original subject: Is Kena Upanishad Abrahamic? After all, the Kena satisfies Devotee's criteria of drawing distinctions between gods, and naming one as superior to the others. So: Abrahamic or not?
    Philosoraptor

A brief list of other "Abrahamic" (as per devotee's criteria) Hindu scriptures given here:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...53&postcount=4
    Philosoraptor

Pranam

I asked a simple enough question for this I have this diatribe

It sounds to me like you need to decide what your view is before posting it here. At the very beginning of the thread you were arguing that nothing in the smRiti was unauthentic.

Now, it sounds like you are arguing that there are interpolated passages, and to consult you to determine which ones are real and which ones interpolated....
    If you had bothered to read my first post, I did give acknowledge the possibility of human agency and gave example of Padma Puranas and I made explicitly clear in my second post, post count 7.

I don't think your remark about consulting me deserve a reply.
    You take the cake when it comes to insults.

Jai Shree Krishna

Thread Information