Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Re: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

LakumikarA--what is the meaning?
    author:....... Dr.R.KrishNamUrti ShAstrigaL, Chennai-4
    compiler:..... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 155-171
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamil

pages 155-160
    Greatness of AmbAL

AmbAL, Shiva--although these are of the same tattvam--principle, more than Shiva, to AmbAL--to Shakti--is the greatness; this BhagavadpAdAL explains in his 'saundaryalaharI' stotram. In its first shlokam--verse, his saying that without Shakti, Shiva cannot budge an inch--is it adhishayokti--techinique of exaggeration? or is it real? PeriyavAL asked this question about twenty years back. (see note 01)

Everyone had settled down, getting ready to begin the aniversary celebrations of the SaMskRta SAhitya PariShad. When PeriyavAL came to the stage, his AjnA--orders came forthwith to bring shrI RanganAtha ShAstrigaL from ChinnakkAnjchi. The AjnA was for him to commence the celebrations. And then as PeriyavAL did nirbandham--insisted, that he speak a few words at the commencement of the SabhA, ShAstrigaL said, "It is very ashaktam--unable, for me; can't say anything."

shrI PeriyavAL told him, "Say that very sentence", and then prompted him with a blessing, "say only the shlokam 'shivaH shaktyA yukto'".

This is an explanation that PeriyavAL gave in upadesham--teaching (on that occasion for the verse). "In shrI Rudram, 10th anuvAkam, comes the mantra

या ते रुद्र शिवा तनूः शिवा विश्वाह भेषजी ।
    शिवा रुद्रस्य भेषजी तया नो मृड जीवसे ॥ १०.२ ॥

yA te rudra shivA tanUH shivA vishvAha bheshhajI |
    shivA rudrasya bheshhajI tayA no mR^iDa jIvase || 10.2 ||

[Rudra! That which is your auspicious form, auspicious as the universal panacea for all ills, auspicious as the bestower of (knowledge and realisation of) Your Rudra form—with that make us live in happiness.--Tr.SvAmi KRShNAnanda]

"This shloka that says 'shivaH shaktyA yukto', remains as the vyAkhyAnam--exposition, as the veda-mUla-pramANa--Vedic evidence, for the above mantra; therefore, this is not just stuti--eulogy, but only the truth.

"Hey Parameshvara! As a mangaLakara--auspicious, part (half) of your body, as the eternal panacea that cures everyone, even you of your viSham--poison, remains the Shakti known as UmA; only because of her you live." The SabhA was immersed in surprise at PeriyavAL's explanation.

"For the above mantra in the VidyAraNya BhAShyam, for the root word 'jIvase', the meaning, 'By that Shakti you should help us live; and you do help us live' is given in a casual manner."

That shrI PeriyavAL, using just the meaning of the root word ('jIvasa'), explained this mantra as the mUla-mantra--root mantra for the 'saundarya laharI' (verse), goes to prove that he is himself a Shiva avatar!

Three nATakas--plays, three bhAShyas--commentaries

In KAnjchi MaTham, PeriyavAL one day asked me, "Do you know that in the same way that Adi Shankara's prasthAnatrayam (sUtra bhAShyam, gItA bhAShyam, upaniShad bhAShyam) is excellent, the nATakatrayam (vikrama UrvashIyam, mAlavikAgnimitram, abhijnAna-shAkuntalam) is excellent?"

"No, I don't know", I said.

"Do you know the mangaLa shlokas of the three nATakas--plays?"

Saying, "Two I know, one is not in memory", I recited the shlokas of 'shAkuntalam' and 'mAlavikAgnimitram'. The meaning of the shloka (in the play 'shAkuntalam', verse and translation added--sd) is as follows:

yA sRShTiH sraShTur AdyA vahati vidhihutaM yA havir yA cha hotrI
    ye dve kAlaM vidhattah shruti-viShaya-guNA yA sthitA vyApya vishvam |
    yAm AhuH sarva-bIja/bhUta-prakRtir iti yayA prANinaH prANavantaH
    pratyakShAbhiH prapannas tanubhir avatu vas tAbhir aShTAbhir IshaH ||
    --abhijnAna-shAkuntalam, Act 1, verse 1

(That visible form, viz. water) which (was) the first creation of the Creator; (that, viz. fire) which hears the oblation offered-according-to-rule; and (that visible form, viz. the priest) which (is) the offerer-of-theoblation; (those) two (visible forms, viz. the Sun and Moon) which regulate time; (that, viz. ether) which perpetually pervades all space, having the quality (sound) perceptible by the ear; (that, viz. the earth) which they call the originator of all created-things; (that, viz. the air) by which living beings are furnished with breath may Isha [the supreme Lord Shiva], endowed with [manifested in] these eight visible forms, preserve you!--Tr.Monier Williams

The meaning of the other shloka (in the play 'mAlavikAgnimitram', verse added--sd):

ekaiShvarya-sthitatopi praNata-bahuphalo yaH svayaM kRttivAsAH
    kAntA-saMmishra-dehopya-viShaya-manasAM yaH purastAdyatInAm |
    aShTAbhiryasya kRtsnaM jagadapi tanubhir-bibhrato nAbhimAnaH
    sanmArgAlokanAya vyapanayatu sa nastAMmasIM vRttim-IshaH ||
    --mAlavikAgnimitram, opening verse

"Although filled with excellent wealth, still wearing only an elephant's skin; although having a body merged with his wife's, still invisible even to the complete renunciates; although pervading the entire universe and wearing it through his eight bodies, still without any pride;--may that Parameshvara remove the tAmasa--gross thoughts from our mind, so that we can see the sanmArga--right path.--Tr.by the author"

PeriyavAL, saying, "I shall tell you the mangaLa shlokam of 'vikramorvashIyam', recited the shloka and gave an adbhuta--marvelous, explanation (verse added--sd):

vedAnteShu yamAhurekapuruShaM vyApya sthitaM rodasI
    yasmin-Ishvara ityananyAviShayaH shabdo yathArthAkSharaH |
    antaryashcha mumukShumirniyAmita-prANAdibhir-mRgyate
    sa sthANuH sthira-bhaktiryogasumamo niHshreyasAyAstu vaH ||
    --vikrama UrvashIyam, opening verse

1. "In the first pAda--quarter, which says, 'One who is mentioned in the VedAntas as the jagat-kAraNam--cause of the universe, and is vyApaka--pervading the bhUloka-devaloka--earth and heaven', the first chapter of the (Brahma)SUtra-bhAShyam will be included. In the SUtra-bhAShyam, the prathamAdhyAyam--first chapter, only talks about the samanvaya--conjunction, of the VedAntas in the jagat-kAraNa-vastu--entity that is the cause of the universe?

2. "In the second pAda, which says, 'to whom the word Ishvara is the most appropriate and filled with meaning', the second adhyAyam of the SUtra-bhAShyam will be included. What AchAryAL (Shankara) in the second adhyAya--chapter, rejecting all the AkShepaNas--objections, to the principle that for the sarva-vedAntam--all VedAnta, the samanvaya--conjunction, is only with the One Ishvara, did sthApana--maintained, that the VedAntas only explain the One ParamporUL--Brahman, KalidAsa has abstracted in this second pAda--quarter.

3. "The third pAda that 'one who is sought by those who desire mokSha--liberation, in dhyAnam--meditation, controlling and shrinking the prANA-pAnAdi--breath and drinking/food', is the sAram--essence, of the SUtra-bhAShyam's third adhyAya. Aren't there in vistAram--elaboration, the upAsanAdi--intense practices, that are mokSha-sAdhana--means of liberation explained in detail?

4. "The fourth pAda that 'which parampoRuL--Brahman, that is nirvikAra--changeless, and is easy to attain by bhakti--devotion, may that Ishvara grant us mokSha', is the sAram--essence, of the SUtra-bhAShyam's fourth adhyAya. Thus, the four adhyAyas--chapters, of the SUtra-bhAShya and this shlokam are in samam--on par!

"When doing pUrti--completion, of these nATakas--plays, KalidAsa prays for his mokSha (in the concluding shloka of abhijnAna-shAkuntalam, thus):

"pravartatAM prkRti-hitAya pArthivaH
    sarasvatI shrutamahatAM mahIyatAm |
    mamApi cha kShapayatu nIlalohitaH
    punarbhavaM parigata-shakti rAtmabhUH ||

"May the king strive for the welfare of his people. May the language (of Goddess SarasvatI) that stays great by the Vedas flourish. May Shiva, called NIlalohita, who is a svayambhu--appeared on his own, remove my rebirth too."

"In such manner, has he has summarized mokSha--liberation, as the final lakShya--goal, of his nATakas--plays! Therefore, KAlidAsa's nATakatrayI looks like the prasthAnatrayam.

Notes:
    01. saundarya laharI, verse 1

shivaH shaktyA yukto yadi bhavati shaktaH prabhavituM
    na cedevaM devo na khalu kushalaH spanditumapi |
    atas tvAm ArAdhyaaM hari-hara-viri~nchAdibhir api
    praNantuM stotuM vA katham akR^ita puNyaH prabhavati || 1 ||

Lord Shiva, only becomes able,
    to do creation in this world,
    along with Shakti.
    Without her, even an inch he cannot move;

And so how can, one who does not do good deeds,
    or one who does not sing your praise,
    become adequate to worship you
    Oh, goddess mine,
    who is worshipped by the Trinity.
    --tr. P.R.Ramachander
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

pages 160-165
    Removing the distress of hunger

'Compassion' will benefit many people in many ways. PeriyavAL's kAruNya--compassion, is like a mother's affection. No one should wither due to hunger. Some incidents about his feeding people who came to him, specially the Veda pandits.

(a) On the day of 01.01.1977, it was VaikuNTha EkAdashi. Myself and shrI KRShNasvAmi aiyar had gone to SivAsthAnam to consult PeriyavAL about printing certain Veda books. The time was morning six-thirty. The sight of shrI PeriyavAL starting and leaving, with a daNDam--staff, and a small kalasha--waterpot. As we told him about the subject of our coming there, he asked us to accompany him with a gesture of hand.

We started with him. We learnt that since it was the day of VaikuNTha EkAdashi, the uddesham--intention, of the departure was to go to all the PerumAL temples in ViShNu, Shiva kAnchi and have darshan. We walked.

Even before crossing the Veda PAThashAla in the YAnaikaTTi street in ChinnakAnchi, since we were having darshan in all PerumAL temples in every nook and corner, (and since my walking habit was much less), myself and KRShNasvAmi aiyar who accompanied me, sat for resting on the thiNNai--raised portico, of a house.

In a short while, an aNukkat-thoNdar--personal attendant, of PeriyavAL came running towards us and said, "Are you KRShNasvAmi ShAstri? PeriyavAL asked me to tell you:

'For him kAlshramam--can't stand exertion of legs. You go look for him, ask him to take AhAram--food, in svakAlam--proper time, at the PAThashAla, and stay at ShivAsthAnam. After I return, the subject of printing the Veda books can be discussed.'"

Can the measure of my going melting at heart then be spoken? Accordingly, we took our AhAram at the PAThashAla and took rest at ShivAsthAnam.

Finishing his PerumAL darshans, shrI PeriyavAL returned to ShivAsthAnam at three in the afternoon with a mandahAsam--smile, looking as fresh as he was when he started in the morning. Forthwith he called us, and gave suggestions about printing the Veda books in the grantha lipi.

(b) VyAsa-pUjA day, somewhere near (the village) Orirukkai. Flooded with a large crowd of people. Some of us were with PeriyavargaL.

This is what to a staff member of ShrIMaTham did PeriyavAL say: "A large number of people have come. They have the intention to take AhAram--food, after my VyAsa-pUjA is over. But then, their hunger can't withstand until then. Watching the puja after taking food also won't appeal to their minds. So to everyone, cook saltless rice, keep it in a tAmbALam--large salver with sloping rim, and distribute to them. This won't be a pAthakam--hindrance with adverse effect. Otherwise, they will suffer much."

In a short while, (saltless) curd rice was ready in aNDAs--large bronze containers. Everyone asked for it and ate. Then was the VyAsa-pUjA held until four in the evening, with a divya darshan for everyone!

What kAruNyam!

(c) Wherever the place (even a poTTal grAmam--(Tamil)barren village), whatever the time, even late in the night, whoever came to shrI PeriyavAL's mukhAm--camp, he would order his sippantis--staff members, to prepare food and feed them. Without letting it go there, he would call those sippantis one by one in private and asking him, "What AhAram did you cook and feed for those who came?"--such fairness is unique for PeriyavAL.

(d) To the children who were learning the Vedas, PeriyavAL's motherly affection is matchless.

On serveral occasions he would ask the rich devotees who came to him, "Will you do a favour for me?"

"My bhAgyam--fortune."

"Prepare sweet and savoury bhakShaNas--refreshments for the children in the Veda PAThashAla at the YAnaikaTTi street, go and distribute them to the children yourself."

Later, after some days, when those children came, he would ask with concern, "Was the bhakShaNam given that day? Did you have it?"

(This is a great revolution by PeriyavAL at the time when it was said as a proverb that the rotten banana fruits which a cow won't take was for the boys of the Veda PAThashAla.)

Wherever ShrIMaTham camped, as per PeriyavAL's orders, specially in the summer months, like the thaNNIr pandhal--charity of water at public places, he would be giving diluted buttermilk. In visheSham--distinction, the scene of PeriyavAL sitting in a hut on the bank of the PAlAr river in the Orirukkai village during a hot summer and distributing diluted buttermilk to those who came, can't be described in words.

Loka kAruNyam

It is a sarva-sAdhAraNa--quite common, scene that the bhaktas--devotees, who came for darshan, telling him their shortfalls and sufferings repeatedly and praying 'PeriyavAL should do the anugraham--favour'. Those who have darshan of PeriyavAL and return without asking him anything are very very rare. In such a state, starting from the VishvarUpa Darshan at dawn every day, even if the devotees throng continuously for many hours thereafter and come to him in turn with their kaShTa-naShTa--pain and loss, with matchless patience, his listening to them and then giving them abhayam--safeby, raising his divya-karam--sacred hand,--who can explain that aruL--blessing?

(a) A PATTi--grandma, once in KAnchi MaTham told him repeatedly of her family squabble. The sippanti--attendant, who repeated the news so PeriyavAL could hear it clearly, slightly chiding her, told her in a loud tone: "PATTi, don't you have any other work? How many times should you repeat it?"

shrI PeriyavAL: "ENDA--hey, who is that? Why do you shout?"

"Some PATTi whoever. Simply repeats what she told many times over."

"What does she say, it's not falling in my ears, you ask her again and tell me", as PeriyavAL said this, what Anandam--happiness, for the PATTi!

(b) Sometimes he would prescribe the kaShTa-parihAra--atonement/remedy for the afflictions. Asking for the devotees' financial position, his orders will be for them to visit temples and bath in sacred water sources or do dAna-dharma--charity with money and food. One such incident.

A business pramukha--notable, came to KAnchIpuram, had darshan of MahA SvAmigaL and said: "My business is dull for so many days now. Several worries I have. Can't sleep at night. Can't withstand the mental agony. I require PeriyavAL's aruL--blessing."

shrI PeriyavAL, "Will you do one thing?"

"I am waiting to listen."

"On the night of paurNamI--day of full moon, as much as possible for you, keep looking at the pUrNa chandran--full moon, in the AkAsham--sky, and do dhyAnam--meditation, imaging that shrI KAmAkShi AmbAL is in that ChandramaNDalam--lunar region. All the worries will leave you."--(what compassion!!)

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

pages 165-171 (concluding part)
    samatvam--equality

Whoever the bhakta that comes to him, without looking at the distinctions of paNDita-pAmara--learned and rustic, rich and poor, jAti-matam--caste and religion, his pAngu--(Tamil)manner, of showering compassion to everyone is alAti--special.

"I am taking lessons in music. I need to sing before PeriyavA", a boy supplicated to him.

"sari--alright, sing."

"lambodara lakumikarA..."

singing this song, when the boy was uncertain about some words, PeriyavAL prompts him the right padas--words. Then he asked the boy, "LakumikarA--what is the meaning?" The boy could only blink.

shrI PeriyavAL said, "In Telegu, the word 'Lakumi' is a variation of the word LakShmI; the meaning is 'LakShmIkarA'--lustrous hands. Sing well". He explained and blessed the boy.

Appreciating good qualities

To proclaim a specific guNam--quality, pANDityam--scholarship in a man (even if it is of the size of a mustard seed), and specify it as mountainous, to him in front of others, is a distinctive nature with PeriyavAL.

(a) Guru ArAchanA day in KAnchi MaTham. shrI R.NaTarAja aiyar (Secretary, METTUr Chemicals) stands before him after the ArAdhanA is over, folding his hands over his chest, wanting to take leave. A crowd of people around.

PeriyavAL says: "You do a great upakAram--service, to the MaTham and to me. In addition to doing dhana-sahAyam--monetary assistance, from time to time, all that you did in vaibhavam--grandeur, for the Guru ArAdhanA! kShemamA iru--remain in prosperity." It's not an overstatement that NaTarAja aiyar went meling in the heart.

(b) One J.VenkaTarAma ShAstrigaL is my friend. A man of great vidvat--intelligence/knowledge. One day when he was coming, PeriyavAL spread both his hands, and lifting them above his head and asked me, "varAnA--is he coming?" I understood it as saying 'sumaithAngi--support stand, varAnA--coming?' and said yes. (The man who came was from a place called sumaithAngi). When he came, PeriyavAL told him, "You are much learned, a great paNDita--pandit", and proclaimed to the people around: "This one reads lots of books. Any book that he has not read is one that is yet to be printed! Which is why we refer to him as a real sumaithAngi."

How many mahAns could there be who thus applaud vidvAns--pandits, wholeheartedly? It came to my mind that on this subject, a RAjA--king, called Bhartruhari, has spoken in his book 'nIti shatakam'.

manasi vachasi kAye puNyapIyUSha pUrNA
    tribhuvana mupakArashreNibhiH prINayantaH |
    paraguNa parmANUn parvatIkRutya nityaM
    nijahRuti vikasantaH santi santaH kiyantaH || 79 ||

Let us see how this verse remains as the very lakShaNam--expression, of PeriyavAL:

1. manas, vAchas, kAyam--mind, speech and action, all these full of holy nectar,
    2. pleasing the three worlds with numerous actions of beneficence,
    3. ever magnifying the minute good qualities of others, and
    4. rejoicing and blooming with happiness at heart;

how many such PeriyavALs are there? Not an iota of doubt that PeriyavAL is one who matches all the four lakShaNas mentioned above!

paNDita svabhAvam--scholarly nature

Keeping himself knowing of all the guNAdhishayas--exceptional qualities, and svabhAva--inherent nature, resting with the various kinds of people who come to him, the pAngu--(Tamil)manner, of shrI PeriyavAL advising him or that society of it, even if its a somewhat undesirable svabhAva, is matchless.

(a) A conversation about the progress of the art of printing in these days was going on in KAnchi MaTham.

"In those days, all the people, paNDita-pAmara--learned and ordinary, would read the books in full, even through palm leaves, and educate themselves. These days even with the printing facilities having arrived and books published in nice forms, no one goes through them completely."

A question to me: "As the Golden Jubilee Issue of the Advaita SabhA, a pustakam--book, called 'AdvaitAkSharamAlikA' was published. You read the book?"

"I read some essays (in them)."

"pUrA paDikkalaiyA--not read it in full?"

"No."

"Would there be some panDitas--pandits, who would have read it in full?"

"It's not known to me."

Forthwith what PeriyavAL said: "If we send a mail enclosing the book, and tell them that for those who write back having read the book in full, a sum of rupees two hundred will be sent to them from the MaTham, perhaps they will all read it in full?"

My heart was sad listening to these words. "I shall read it in full as early as possible", was the only reply I could give him.

(b) Once in Tirumala, the Shukla-Yajur Veda jaTA(pATha) pArAyaNam was held. On completion of it, a Veda pandit came to PeriyavAL and said:

"In accordance with PeriyavA's abhiprAyam--intention, we did the pArAyaNam--chanting, well. It came to pUrta--completion, yesterday." He repeated this a few times. (This was because no sambhAvana--honorarium, was given there).

PeriyavAL said, "BhagavAn VenkaTAchalapati would have been satisfied. santoSham--happiness, for everyone."

"Should give me leave to return."

"Go and come back in kShemam--prosperity."

Then in a week, to that Pandit and others, PeriyavA sent the deserved sambhAvana--honorarium, to their homes through a ShrI MaTham pratinidhi--representative.

PeriyavAL had visheSha kAruNya--special compassion, prIti--kindliness, towards the Veda paNDitas. Just their having memorized the Veda shabdas--Vedic accents and words, is the complete reason for adoring them. This fact has PeriyavAL stressed many times:

(a) Took place in KAnchi MaTham one day. PeriyavAL is asking: "The vaidikas who are the vAdhyArs--teachers,--do they know the artha--meaning, of the karmas they conduct?

"Some people think low of them that there is no use if the meanings are not known."

A mail for the MaTham came to him just at that time, and he asked the vilAsam--address, on it to be read out. The man who read it out, as he read the word PIN, PeriyavAL asked him, "You know what is PIN? Does the postman know (its expansion)? Does the postmaster know it"

The one who read the address stands speechless.

"Even if no one knows the meaning of PIN, once a number is written with the word PIN, the mail reaches its destination correctly, right?

"In the same way, if we recite the Veda mantras with their svaram--intonation, even if we do not know their meaning, the articles of our homam--fire sacrifice, would reach their destined devata. There is no necessity to know the meaning.

"But then I shall give you (the expansion for) what is PIN. It is 'postal index number'." PeriyavAL had known it!

(b) Some other incident. A vaidika sammelanam--meeting of Veda pandits, in KAnchi MaTham. PeriyavAL says to me: "Even some vaidikas are short of their AchAram--required rigours, and live as they like, so why should we honour them, some people ask. For me, the tIrmAnam--determined opinion, is that they must be adored, since the Veda mantras which are devatArUpam--divine form, reside in them."

(c) Guru ArAdhanA in Kalavai. On the evening of the first day, the brAhmaNas appointed for the ArAchanA have assembled. It is time for doing their parichayam--introducing them, to PeriyavAL. PeriyavAL comes.

Arriving at and standing near the stage adjacent to the place the Vaidikas are sitting, where an Asanam--seat, for PeriyavAL is arranged, he said, "when these many PeriyavAs are sitting on the floor, no need for an Asanam for me on the stage."

The Vaidikas went melting like heated sugar syrup.

--viShNu purANam

For Salim, a rudrAkSha mAlA
    author:....... PoLLAchi JayammAL
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 172-174

The time when shrI PeriyavAL was giving darshan as a maunin--man in vow of silence, being carried in a chair (his mena?--sd). Myself and NAgalakShmI were walking in the queue along with everyone. A man who came behind us, saying, "As told by SAmi I have come", and joined his palms looking at PeriyavAL.

shrI PeriyavAL too, without looking at anyone else, looked at him keenly, and blessed him raising his hand.

I inquired him. He said his name was Salim and that he had come from KumbakONam. "SAmi said coming in my dream yesterday, 'Tomorrow is the day I get my kShauram--cutting hair. Come, see me and go back'", he said.

That was the vapana dinam--day of cutting hair. SannyAsins should have their muNDanam--head-shaving, once in two months on the paurNamI tithi--day of full moon. The custom in ShrIMaTham is to refer to it by the SamskRta term 'vapanam'. It is our custom to come only to witness it. But then I could not understand as to why he asked that Muslim bhakta--devotee, to come.

When I told NAgalakShmI about him, as he was telling me back, "His name could have been Chellappan; might have wrongly fell in your ears as Salim", that Muslim devotee was seen again.

He was wearing a rudrAkSha mAlA too. We inquired him again, "You are wearing rudrAkSham. They would not let you enter your mosque?"

"Yes, I am a Muslim; name Salim. I have seen SAmi three-four times earlier. Once when he gave me this rudrAkSha prasAdam, I asked him what to do with it. SAmi said 'It is to be worn on the neck, but then people who belong to your religion might object to it. So, keep it in a box'".

Deciding that I should wear what SAmi gave me only on my neck, I did so. Even when I went to the mosque for my prayers, no one blamed me, nor did any one ask me to remove the mAlA."

Who can know about shrI PeriyavAL's deivIka shakti--divine powers?

--viShNu purANam

The good fortune of darshan
    author:....... Pulavar Anu VeNNilA
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 175-176

I, who was born as the daughter of a father soaked in nAstikam--atheism, until my twenty-third year of age, had known nothing about going to a temple. Later, when a great misfortune occurred in my life, I was left in a situation of living, wherein I got separated from my koNDavan--husband, and my mother-father. I sought refuge in an orphanage in another town, with my child. Unable to tolerate the injustice that was taking place there, I quit the orphanage. Although I had undergone the secondary grade teachers' training, working as a servant, slave, cook, caught in sufferings, knowing no way out, I was dissolving daily in my tears.

It was my habit to paste in a long notebook, the pictures of KAnchi Periyavar in different poses (those published in the weeklies and monthlies). One day I had a dream that shrI SvAmigaL was reposing in my home and that I was massaging his legs. From that day on, I had bhakti--devotion, towards him.

In one moment when I was in the peak of sufferings, I had sent my secondary grade teacher training certificate and shrI SvAmigaL's picture album to a shop that bought old papers. The shopkeeper sent back my certificate and the album thinking that I had sent them to him mistakenly. With the thought that this must have a reason behind it, I preserved them both carefully.

Within the next few months, there occurred a totally unexpected turn in my life. The bad one who was my enemy was punished and I had obtained relief from him. My brother in Chennai gave me support and shelter.

Thus after twelve years, I rejoined in the service of a school teacher. After fifty years of age, I became a graduate in B.Litt., and B.Ed. I have published many books; I do service participating in the works of many samUha-sEva--social welfare organizations.

Although I have had darshan of Periyavar only once or twice, I believe it wholeheartedly that today's life of mine to have been gifted to me by his blessings.

--viShNu purANam

ChakkaratthAzhvAr
    author:....... S.TirunArAyaNan
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 188

A great misfortune occurred in the family of my eledest sister. A veda-vittaka--Vedas expert, advised me to do the ChakkaratthAzhvAr mUla mantra japam for one maNDalam--48 days, taking saMkalpam--vow. Accordingly, taking upadesham from the ChakkaratthAzhvAr sannidhi, from the next day, I started doing the japam at my aham--home, in our PerumAL sannidhi.

A refrigerator cabinet was there in front, at the place I was doing my japam.

The surprising thing was that while I was doing the japam, a inner feeling of shrI MahAsvAmigaL too doing japam would be visualized by me daily on the refrigerator door. When I heard that on the very day the maNDalam of my japam was completed, shrI MahasvAmigaL attained mukti, there was no limit to my sorrow. It is an irrefutable fact that he held on to his life only for me for the 48 days and attained God's feet after my japam was completed.

--viShNu purANam

A paramANu that came under the glance of MahA PeriyavAL
    author:....... R.B.GopAlakRShNan
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 189-190

In the town of KavErippaTTaNam, adjacent to KRShNagiri in the Dharmapuri district, PUjyashrI Chandrashekarendra Sarasvati SvAmigaL was camping for a month in the year 1944. I was then working as the Postmaster of that town. I was among the general public, notables and government servants who were daily involved in SvAmigaL's daily engagements. Therefore, in addition to having a close connection with the kAryams--actions, of the MaTham, I also got the bhAgyam--fortune, of coming under the direct glance of PeriyavAL many times.

Later, after many years, when he was camping in a different place, and I had the bhAgyam of having darshan of him there, I was moving in the queue of a large crowd of people, to do namaskaram and take tIrtha-prasAdam. When my turn came, PeriyavAL who was giving tIrtham, in an expression of asking me something, looked at me shrinking his eyes. Understanding it, I informed him of having had my darshans at KavErippaTTaNam when I was the Postmaster of that town. Blessing me with his hand, PeriyavAL said with a smile, "bhAradvAja gotram?" Although all these things happened within two seconds, my happiness and rapturous shivers can't be contained in words.

This incident, although it flahsed in my mind often like lightning, I could not forget PeriyavAL's generosity. Thousands of people have darshan of him and do seva--service, to him. Still, as he saw me, his blessing me uttering my gotram--was it due to his supreme memory power, supreme dIkShaNIyam--divinity, or siddhi--spiritual accomplishment? Whatever it is, it can't be contained in words.

--viShNu purANam

PeriyavargaL pratyakSha deivam
    author:....... 'kaRikAitthOli' KRShNamUrti
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 191-198

shrI MahA PeriyavargaL, shrI PudupperiyavargaL--both these AchAryas were camping in the Rameshvaram road, T.Nagar, Chennai. My age at that time was eight. Along with my father, I had gone for darshan.

MahA PeriyavargaL asked me: "You know what your ThAtthA--grandfather was?"

"PudukkoTTai Chief Court Judge KRShNamUrti aiyar", I said.

"You should come up like him", he blessed me. Since the time of my getting the ability to think, this was the first occasion I had darshan of him.

When MahA SvAmigaL was in TenambAkkam, I was to go there. With me came my two friends, who were engaged in the sacred work of building the KarumAriamman temple in SAmiyAr ThoTTam, to seek his blessings.

I introduced them both to PeriyavargaL. They were VaiShNavas. He asked them, "Is the samashrayaNam done for you?" (Check http://www.saranagathi.org/articles/samasrayanam.htm for details).

"Is done".

"You know what is samashrayaNam?", he asked me.

"Don't know", I said.

"To do such kaingkaryam--service, VaiShNavas should get the anumati--permission from their AchAryas. Without that, it is not uchitam--proper, to get engaged in this." Saying this, he asked me, "Will you build a temple?"

What could I say? I did not reply anything.

But then, two months later, for some reason, those two people, resigned from their positions. They engaged me in that work and made me a secretary.

All Maha PeriyavargaL's anugraham. With donations, that temple was built at a cost of two lakh rupees, and the kumbAbhiShekam too took place in kolAhalam--grand fanfare.

Meantime, once I supplicated to Maha PeriyavargaL, "I am doing the koil kaingkaryam. Same way I should do kaingkaryam to PeriyavargaL too." He said, "Do it for AmbAL (KarumAriamman). It would be like doing it to me."

The very next day that temple kumbAbhiShekam was over, I resigned the post of secretary of the sacred works committee, came to PeriyavargaL and informed him. "You have the skill to collect?" he asked me.

What could I say! I just kept quiet without saying anything.

He gave me this order: "It's of much puNyam, if the cow is given AhAram--food, our ancestors and elders have said. Informing the neighbouring houses, you visit them, collect the peels of vegetables that get collected on Thursdays and Fridays, and bring them here. They can be fed to the cows." I continued to do that kaingkaryam for a long time.

Because of this, I had the bhAgyam to have darshan of PeriyavargaL every Saturday.

Once I thought this way when I was going to ShrIMaTham. 'PeriyavargaL told me to become like my ThAtthA? He was a judge, whereas I joined a bank and came to practise in a different area of service?'

Isn't Maha PeriyavargaL a pratyakSha deivam--visible god! Whatever we think in our mind, even as we watch the TV to know things happening at a distant place, he would know it by his jnAna-dRShTi--prevision.

When I had darshan of PeriyavargaL that day, he said, "pEran enRAl ivanthANDA pEran--if it is a grandson, it is only this one. One who has the peyar--name, is pEran--grandson. Only his grandfather's name for this one. His thAtthA had alAti--distinctive priyam--love/fondness, for me. Wherever I was, he used to come and have darshan. In the same way, this one too. He is making his thAtthA's name and fame stand firm in time."

To the question I thought about when I was on my way here, PeriyavargaL has given an explanation. My mind was at peace.

The epithet 'kaRikAitthOli' got stuck to my name KRShNamUrti in ShrIMaTham permanently.

After completion of three years of this kaingkaryam, in memory of it, we purchased nine pairs of vEshTis--dhoties, and submitted them. Examining them, PeriyavargaL inquired about the details. He asked us to first take a pair of dhoties and give it to a kOnAr--milkman. We went to his place and gave it to him saying, 'PeriyavargaL prasAdam'. With great humility, he bowed, joined his palms and received the gift with bhaya-bhakti.

Coming back to ShrIMaTham, we informed PeriyavargaL. Saying, "avan ippaDi vAnggik-koNDAnA?--Did he receive it in this manner?", PeriyavargaL precisely gestured it to us in action! We were surprised. For PeriyavargaL who was sAkShat GopAla, the meyppADugaL--manners and disposition, of the KOnAr, the go-pAlan--cow caretaker, of ShrIMaTham had been known. Also he had the simplicity to act it out like a child!

A Saturday. Arriving at Kalavai camp, we had darshan of PeriyavargaL. It was my custom to take Accountancy classes on Saturdays and Sundays in the MAmbalam Institute. As long as he was in Tenambakkam, it facilitated my taking classes. Since he had gone to Kalavai, I went with the thought it would be difficult to take the class on the next day. Isn't he an antaryAmin--the soul inside us? It seemed that he had come to know of what I was thinking! We could reach there only a bit late in the night. Before our arrival, PeriyavargaL had taken vishrAnti--repose, on a rope cot. Without knowing it we had gone a bit too close to him. He woke up hearing the noise.

"yAru--who is that?"

"'kaRikAitthOli' KRShNamUrti."

Taking a torchlight, PeriyavargaL shined it so his face was seen well in the light. We had a good and happy darshan of him.

"sari--Alright, you can get back to your place", he gave us immediate leave.

An assistant nearby said, "Tomorrow is only Sunday. They may stay here and go."

"Only Sunday is a day of rest for them; and only on that day pala jOli--many tasks", with these words he gave us his blessings and leave.

Since we started at dawn the next day, it was convenient for me to take the class. What to say of PeriyavAL's compassion!

Pudu PeriyavAL told me that 'go saMrakShaNam--protection of cows' should be undertaken. Accordingly, with the four cows sent by ShrIMATham, the introductory festivities of the goshAla--cowshead at Old MAmbalam Shankara MaTham took place on Aug. 19, 1977, presided by the Chennai Governor PrabhudAs PatvAri. They appointed me as its founder and secretary. Growing quickly, that goshAla is now running with excellence, with fifty cows.

The feeding of vegetable peels to cows went on well for five and a half years. Later in 1989, I got transferred to Lucknow and moved away.

My eldest daughter, when she was a three year old child, contracted the disease septicemia and I admitted her to a hospital. The doctor said it was rare to survive that disease. He said that no food or medicine could be injected for that disease.

My father went to KAnchi and prayed to PeriyavargaL. Caressing his stomach, PeriyavargaL showed abhya-hastam and blessed us. From Salem, PuDu PeriyavargaL sent prasAdam through a disciple, asking us not to worry. The child survived, much to the surprise of the doctor.

Owing to the puNya-phala--fruits of good acts, of collecting the vegetable peels from many houses and feeding them to the cows upon PeriyavargaL's Ajna--orders, it is the satyam--truth/reality that we became vesels for MahA SvAmigaL's anugraham.

--viShNu purANam

A good heart
    author:....... IrAsu, Chennai-61
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 199-210

Pages 199-204

An evening time. Maybe around six. PeriyavargaL sitting quitely in a corner at the KAnchi MaTham, with four-five people around him. Among them was a PATTi--grandmother, crossed sixty, who had done muNDanam--shaving, of her head, wearing a white cloth, curling it up over her head. I was too a witness there.

At that time in Tamilnadu, a scheme of granting financial assistance to senior citizens had been introduced by the then ruling party.

ParamAchAryar was talking to those who had come to have darshan of him. It could be seen that PATTi was anxious to tell him something. She was one who was staying in the MaTham for a long time.

"A viNNappam--supplication, to SvAmigaL", started PATTi.

"prachchinai--problem for you too?", as SvAmigaL asked her, encouraged by it, that PATTi said, "oNNumillE--it's nothing! It is said in the sarkAr--government, they give 20 rupees as penjan--pension, even for those who have no support in life."

"AmA, adhukku ennna ippO--Yes, so what?"

"That is, if I am recommended by the MaTham...I would get that money, won't I?"

"Would get it, sari--right, what grievances you have here?... You get your meals on time. They give you saris too; and there is place to stay. Beyond these, why money, for you?"

"That is, since it is obtained summA--ex gratia, so...", that mUdhATTi--old woman, dragged in hInasvaram--low voice.

"Look here! I am one who has no Adharavu--support, too! Somehow I remain in this MaTham in a corner. Shall we both apply for that pension?" Asking her in a prankish tone, PeriyavargaL laughed.

Hearing these words, PATTi blowed her head in shame.

To misuse government's ex gratia is a great sin is PeriyavargaL's opinion. It is that he explained to PATTi and to the others.

ParamAchArya continued further:

"At leasts for us we get food to sustain our life, a place to seek refuge against rain and shine, and clothes to cover ourself for honour. They have brought out the pension scheme only to help the really poor who struggle for these things. If I get it for you, won't the chance be lost to another--real, eligible, unsupported, aged man or woman?"

That PATTi, myself and the others understood SvAmigaL's lofty heart.

A dharma-sankaTam!

A day several years ago (1989); could have been six in the evening. Sitting in ekAntam--privately, KAnchi Thava Munivar was giving darshan to devotees.

My elder brother Tiru.Sundaram who was earlier a Tahsildar in KAnchipuram and now a Sub-collector, and I are sitting for darshan. During the time this incident happened, my thamayanAr--elder brother, was serving as an official in charge of the welfare of the district backward people in TirunelvEli. His constraint was to have darshan of ParamAchAryAr and return to Chennai that same night.

Our turn of darshan in the queue came. As we got up after prostrating to SvAmigaL who blessed us with a blossoming face, and said looking at us, "In hurry? Can stay for sometime and go." Obeying his command, we sat in front of him.

SvAmigaL asked all the people who were about thirty in number and standing for his darshan to sit down, gesturing it with his hands.

KAnchi Munivar's glance came round and round in that small crowd. As he called a man sitting with bhaya-bhakti in a corner, the man got up. He had removed his shirt and tied it around his waist over his dhoti.

"Your name?" as Periyavar asked, the man said, "Murugesanunga--Murugesan, sir".

SvAmigaL: What is your occupation?

"payirth-thozhil--agriculture, SAmi".

"Lokaththukku sAppADu pODarE--so you feed the world", saying it with a laughter, SvAmigaL asked him to sit down. PeriyavargaL's eyes going round again, his hand pointed to another man. He got up and said that his name was MunuSamy and that he was working as a Revenue Inspector in Vellore.

"How would you serve the people?"

"I give people nilappaTTA--title deed to land, manaippaTTA--title deed to house-plots and other necessary certificates."

Suddenly looking at me, as PeriyavargaL asked, "What occupation you are in now?", I was shaken. Because I was then serving as the Assistant Manager of the Tamilnadu Consumer Federation. The chief duty of that post was to sell the liquor varieties from the godown to the retail liquor merchants. How could this be a podhujana sevA--public service? So with hesitation I told him, "I am serving as the Deputy Tahsildar in TASMAC". However (at that time my face was full of sweat) PeriyavargaL did not ask me to explain my work.

Then as PeriyavargaL's dRShTi--sight, fell on my elder brother sitting near me, he got up and said that through his office they arrange for free education, food and clothes to the backward people and that he was supervising the work. Informing him in addition that they also distribute sewing machines and coal iron boxes, he said that he was a Sub-collector.

Listening to this, PeriyavargaL said, "In this assembly, a Revenue Inspector who gives facilities to people, a Deputy Tahsildar and a Sub-collector have come. Then, what grievances can we have?", with a prankish laugh in his unique manner.

As for me I was very anxious. Any time SvAmigaL's sight might fall on me. How could I explain my work that only gives pAthakam--grievous sin, to people?

Under that circumstance, I prayed mAnasIkam--in my mind, 'SvAmigaLE! I no longer require to be in this job that I am doing it for the last three years. Kindly give me your grace to somehow get out of it.' SvAmigaL who has compassion, did not ask about my work.

Within a few weeks after this meeting took place, I was relieved from that post and was posted as a Deputy Tahsildar in the Collector's Office.

Although it was the Government that served me the transfer orders, there is no doubt that it was only SvAmigaL's good heart that gave the orders to the Government.

--viShNu purANam

Pages 204-210 (concluding part)
    How I escaped!

Although thirty years now, I cannot forget that incident.

It was election time! As the KAnchipuram District Collector himself had taken up additional responsibility as the District Cheif Election Officer, the entire office was engaged in serious, election-related work. The election was to be held on the day after tomorrow. Two or three IAS Officers had come from Delhi in order to accelerate the election work and supervise all work related to the parliament and assembly elections. Among those who came to KAnchipuram was this very honest, strict and straightforward man, who at the same time, was prone to short temper. He was from another State. As the Tahsildar in the reception committee, the responsibility of taking care of him was entrusted to me.

Within a short time after introduction, I understood about the qualities of that IAS Officer. Since he was accompanied by his wife and children, arrangements were made to accommodate them in the government Traveller's Bungalow.

That I should look to it so at any time the Officer who came for election work didn't get his 'mood out' was the advice given to me. I was also told that he could understand only a few words in Tamil.

The Election Supervisory Officer wanted to have darshan of MahA PeriyavargaL, with his family. I had taken them to the KAnchi MaTham. At the time we were there, MahA PeriyavargaL was doing japam. A man belonging to the MaTham spread a jamakkALam--blanket, on the floor in the hall, and the Officer sat on it with his family; I was standing near him.

After Periyavar started giving darshan, I took the Officer and his family near SvAmigaL. With KAnchi Periyavar sitting on a wooden easy-chair, in a small room, we were to have darshan of him from outside the door. MahA SvAmigaL was in mAuna-vrata--vow of silence, on that day. Asking some questions with gestures as was usual (at such times), he acquainted himself with the Officer who had come. Blessing them, PeriyavargaL gave prasAdam.

At the same time, an employee of the MaTham who was young and always short tempered, started shouting: "Whoever may he be! Is he a big komban--big shot! Rascal, how can he sit on my jamakkALam? The sanctity of the MaTham is lost. I am going to give a telegram to the President right today."

As his continued shouting was a hindrance to us, I felt much sankaTam--embarrassment, in my mind. In PeriyavargaL's presence, an employee of his shouting, is only disrespecting him? If that election Officer came to know that his sitting on the jamakkALam was the reason for that shouting, its consequencies would not only affect us but could go viparIta--awry/amiss, to the extent of his finding fault in our office work! What to do?

After shouting for a quarter of an hour, that angry young man left the scene. I prayed to PeriyavargaL within my mind: "SvAmigaLE! The reason for the youth's shouting shouldn't be known to the election officer, who knew only a little Tamil."

When we came out of the MaTham after finishing our darshan, the question that officer asked me was: "Who is he? Why did he shout? That, before the adorable SvAmigaL?"

I uttered a lie tactfully. "Today is the day of the new moon. That youth has some chitta-bhrama--mental disorder. As the warmth of the sun increases, it is his habit to shout at someone."

"O, is that so? Had you told me this earlier, we could have prayed to SvAmigaL for him too." These words he spoke to me in English showed his generosity.

SvAmigaL, known for discipline and order had heard this shouting. After everyone left having darshan that day, he not only called that youth and admonished him sternly but ordered that he should not enter the MaTham for three days!

I came to know of this news through another chippanti--staff member, when I went to the MaTham on the next day.

Although an intelligent and close disciple, if he behaves in an uncivilized manner unable to control his anger, he need must be punished. PeriyavAL, is a great NItiyarasar--king of justice!

Unexpected!

About thirty years have passed.

I was then serving as a Revenue Inspector in the KAnchipuram Taluk Office. One day as my assistant told that the Tahsildar called me, I went in.

"SubrahmaNyan! Today the Endowment Board Commissioner is coming to KAnchi. He is a friend of our Collector too. So you should make arrangements for his darshan of KAnchi Periyavar."

After my contacting KAnchi MaTham office (and making the arrangement), the Endowment Board Commission (an IAS Officer) bowed to ParamAchAryar and sat before him at the appointed time. Along with the Commission, 15 officials of the Endowment Board too bowed and sat down.

With a blossoming face ParamAchAryar started conversing with the Commissioner. Their conversation was directed towards doing the sacred work of renovation in some small temples, and about some big temples where the kumbAbhiShekam needed to be done.

ShrI ShankarAchArya SvAmigaL generally had a custom. He would raise some religious questions towards the audience and seek their answers. When they were in a quandary, he would give the answers himself and immerse everyone in happiness. Perhaps PeriyavAL's object was that by thus asking questions and then answering them, the facts would stay unforgettable for ever in the listeners' minds.

On that day too KAnchi SvAmigaL raised a question. That to the Commissioner himself! "Can you say this? For three people who were born as human beings and attained supreme loftiness of state, the thErth-thiruvizhA--car festival, is held even today. Who are those three people?"

Although asked to the Commissioner, all of us including me squeezed our brains for an answer. Generally car festivals are held for gods; but then PeriyavA is asking about those born in the humand kind?

Smiling as he saw our quandary, PeriyavAL said, "I shall give five more minutes. Anyone can answer the question."

Five minutes passed and no one came out with the answer.

"paravAyillai--alright! No one need to trouble himself, I shall give the answers!

"A car in SrivilliputtUr to ANDAL who earned the name 'chUDikkoDuththa NAchchiyAr', a car to shrI RAmAnuja the VaiShNava founder, in SriPerumpudUr, and a car to shrI MANikkavAchakar in TirupperundhuRai are there. Every year, the car festival is being held grandly for these three people. If such small things are also known to you people it would be good, which is why I asked." He laughed like a child.

That laughter has stuck in my memory till now, like a nail driven onto a green tree.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information