Thread: A few questions for a Hare Krishna member- please help for a grad project

A few questions for a Hare Krishna member- please help for a grad project

I am designing a Hare Krishna shrine/temple model for an interior design project, and I need to reach out to member as part of the requirements. I only need brief answers and I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you!

1. What is the primary goal for people who believe in this way?
    2. How is this goal achieved? (through prayer, undertaking certain tasks, other)
    3. If applicable, what are the spaces like where worship occurs?
    4. In your opinion, how should this space make a believer feel?
    5. What suggestions would you have for the design of such a worship space?

Re: A few questions for a Hare Krishna member- please help for a grad project

1. What is the primary goal for people who believe in this way?
    2. How is this goal achieved? (through prayer, undertaking certain tasks, other)
    3. If applicable, what are the spaces like where worship occurs?
    4. In your opinion, how should this space make a believer feel?
    5. What suggestions would you have for the design of such a worship space?
    In my humble and foolish opinion, (I'm sure to forget some important things):

1. Deliverance from the cycle of suffering and developing consciousness of Lord Krsna who is all bliss.
    2. Chanting the Holy Names of the Lord. Singing Nama Sankirtan.
    3. Temples, home shrine. Also you can chant anywhere and say your mantras. There are deities which are bathed, put to bed, worshipped, offered fire, incense and tulasi leaves (which have fallen naturally). You should keep Tulasi Devi since the prasadam you eat must be first offered to our Lordships and a few Tulasi leaves placed on them. Guru pictures should be on the altar. Deities can be Radha, Krsna, Gaura Nitai, the Pancha Tattva, Nrsimha Dev, Lord Jagannatha, Baladeva and Subhadra. People will keep kirtan instruments, mrdanga, harmonium, kartal cymbals, tabla. Incense, chauri, artik plate and items, conch, bells, acaman cup.
    4. A person should have his focus lifted out of the mundane life and onto the Divine Lordships. A person will then feel comfort in life's turbulent problems and peace. Kirtan will lift his heart and mind to joyous states.
    5. It must be kept very clean and protected from contaminants. If you can't properly care for deities, do not have the murtis installed and empowered else you can never leave them unattended like on a vacation. Someone must be found to care for them or you must take them with you. Usually a temple room is bright, colorful, joyful. There's lots of videos on the internet of home and temple worship and stores that sell items for worship. Just go visit a temple. ISKCON temples are pretty spectacular.

http://www.deityworship.com/?page_id=11

http://youtu.be/7y_Ssz3b5ao

http://youtu.be/kO0P3rByreM

http://youtu.be/o9wo3mcdw3I

uttama hañā vaiṣṇava habe nirabhimāna
    jīve sammāna dibe jāni' 'kṛṣṇa'-adhiṣṭhāna

"Although a Vaiṣṇava is a most exalted person, he is prideless and gives
    all respect to everyone, knowing everyone to be the resting place of Kṛṣṇa."
    -Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 20.25

Namaste,

Devi Dasi has provided lot of relevant information. As she says, 'Go visit an ISKCON temple'. Since you did not provide us with your location, we cannot steer you to the nearest ISKCON temple, but that should be easy to find. And the best time to visit the temple would be during their Sunday evening service, probably from 5:30 to 7:30 PM. If I may add a few comments,

2. How is this goal achieved? (through prayer, undertaking certain tasks, other) - achieved through devotional service to the Lord, there are nine processes of devotional service to the Lord which are summarized at, http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Hinduism/ISKCON.html

5. What suggestions would you have for the design of such a worship space? - the worship space should be designed to be colorful and cheery, must have pedestals for the deities, should have a stand for the conch-shell, the background to the deities on the pedestals should be some serene scene from Vrindavan, should have proper ventilation with an exhaust fan for smoke arising from different rituals.

Pranam.

Thank you very much. You help is greatly appreciated!

Thread Information