Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with japa as of late

Issues with japa as of late

Hari Om!

There has been some difficulty in my life in the past few months with the performance of japa. Specifically, I can't seem to get a rhythm and my mind seems unfocused. This makes it especially hard to stay motivated and to say the rounds and is becoming a great deal of stress for me. I've had brief encounters with this before but never to this level. I've always enjoyed japa and looked forward to the time each day dedicated to such. Now it's more of a chore. I am truly embarrassed to share all of this.

I know that others may have had the same difficulty sometimes throughout their "spiritual careers" and am hoping to get some pointers as how to proceed and get beyond this. Encouragement is appreciated, but tools and just downright help is my true desire.

Thanks for allowing me to share here. Your time is beyond value.

Om

Re: Issues with japa as of late

Hari Om

Thank you for your candor and for sharing this.
    Why embarrassed? No need to be. There is no need to rush in our dharma.

Maybe take a break from japa if it is a distress to your sadhana. Alternatives may include enjoying a sunset or some quiet time by a lake... The Lord is in these things, too.

A concentrated mind can be very helpful, but so can a relaxed one. You will find a way to continue your practices consistently. I can only suggest being willing to try something less demanding for a while. If you are insistent on continuing japa despite your discomfort, you could try a shorter mantra, fewer repetitions, or singing along to a bhajan instead (kirtan). Then again, you could just listen to a mantra and see if that relieves some pressure.

Personally, I become anxious when I am attached to obtaining an expected result of my actions. I'm not saying this is improper or excluded from our dharma. Actually, I view such a feeling as valuable instruction. Maybe you see it similarly, since your own experience has prompted the courage to share about your situation and ask for feedback.

All the best!
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Dear friend,
    That happens with all . Take a break when you feel disturbed and try to listen soul stirring bhakthi music . With in no time your heart yearns for the inner travel .That music makes your heart to melt and a melted heart is the abode of God . In fact that it self is meditation .

Namaste Smith,

It is quite natural to be influenced by deep impressions of the past and it is nature of mind to generate thoughts based on your past impressions and inclinations. This creates disturbance in mind and focusing becomes difficult and sometimes impossible.

So, there no need to get alarmed over this situation. The mind has to be trained slowly to be calm. For reducing the disturbances in mind, one has to cultivate dispassion/non-attachment from all worldly affairs/attractions, develop the art of remaining calm in even most difficult situation and removing all sorts of fear. This world is not ours. We are guests here for a short while and then we have to leave ... so why get attracted to anything and why hate anything or why curse anyone/anything or why fear losing anything.

More the detachment from worldly affairs, the more calm you become and that helps you stay focused on your japa/object of meditation.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam,

I believe everyone goes through bouts of low in regard to spiritual matters and practice. It's normal, and the duration may be a few days, a few years, or perhaps a few lifetimes. There is no great hurry.

Hurry in the spiritual pursuits is something that was created by thinking there is only one chance. It puts undue pressure on yourself.

In the meantime, do what you feel you are capable of doing ... or take a complete break from the whole thing. God will be waiting for you.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    I've always enjoyed japa and looked forward to the time each day dedicated to such. Now it's more of a chore.
    The motivation/desire to do anything worth doing must come from within. If that desire has slowed down or disappeared for the present, it is time to take a break. Perhaps you have reached a level where the mind needs to consolidate its position before seeking further advances. So, giving yourself a rest from the routine and as has been suggested before, a possible communion with nature in the form of peaceful, mindful walks where everything is observed and appreciated, or going to vista points and gazing at the wondrous creations might make your mind settle down and make your old self bubble up. Things beyond one's control are no reason for an embarrassment. Be well and be peaceful.

Pranam.

Dear c.smith ji,
    you are "trying hard" for something ... if we fix an expectation and try to "reach" it, japa will also become very burdensome.

Spiritual Sadhana should not become goal chasing. It is to "Be" here and now.... now where to go , nothing to do.

If your japa is the name of a God or Goddess, you can tell them to take over. God is not impressed by how much japa you have done. Of what use is to him ? Japa is your method to "be" with God. Right now, God is present by your side... you just have to be here and now.

Look within and inquire where do you want to be ? if it is somewhere other than here ... you will not be happy... if it is here, you will feel happy right now ! Intensely ... because the Presence of God. The being within is God. You have no where to go spiritually. you just have to "Be" as that Presence. What is greater sadhana than to dissolve in the God -- for an advaita student, God is the "Being", "I AM", "Awareness" within... a living God ... just dissolve.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Hari Om!

All of this advice and support resonates so well and is so kind and appreciated. Quite simply, thank-you.

More to consider and hopefully beg your comments.

While I will set aside some of the japa that is done daily, do not feel comfortable doing so against the vow that I took with Guruji to chant the Guru Mantra that I was given during diksha daily. I will however cut the number of rounds because a number was not fixed and I get the feeling here that it might be beneficial at least short term. My resolve is to take His darshan much longer through the picture on my altar. I do not have the luxury of speaking or visiting with Him right now personally but know as others have illuded to that He is with me in all circumstances.

Not certain that I had a goal or that I was reaching for something but will certainly consider this as it has been mentioned in more than one post and often it is others who can see with clarity what oneself cannot. I thank you for this as well.

I agree with Devotee so very much when the topic of past impressions arise. Is this what is called vasanas? Yes, much clearing to be done and by Grace of Guruji it can and will be done.

Once again, everything here has been of value and am looking forward to further contributions if I could be so bold as to ask. Thank you so much Learned Members. I am indebted.

Om

Vannakkam c.smith;

Have you tried the vasana daha tantra? (method to rid the mind of subconscious elements)

I can testify it works. If you don't know what it is, just google it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

All of this advice and support resonates so well and is so kind and appreciated. Quite simply, thank-you.

More to consider and hopefully beg your comments.

While I will set aside some of the japa that is done daily, do not feel comfortable doing so against the vow that I took with Guruji to chant the Guru Mantra that I was given during diksha daily. I will however cut the number of rounds because a number was not fixed and I get the feeling here that it might be beneficial at least short term. My resolve is to take His darshan much longer through the picture on my altar. I do not have the luxury of speaking or visiting with Him right now personally but know as others have illuded to that He is with me in all circumstances.

Not certain that I had a goal or that I was reaching for something but will certainly consider this as it has been mentioned in more than one post and often it is others who can see with clarity what oneself cannot. I thank you for this as well.

I agree with Devotee so very much when the topic of past impressions arise. Is this what is called vasanas? Yes, much clearing to be done and by Grace of Guruji it can and will be done.

Once again, everything here has been of value and am looking forward to further contributions if I could be so bold as to ask. Thank you so much Learned Members. I am indebted.

Om
    Dear c.smith ji,
    To chant a specific number of times itself can be a goal you have set... instead of enjoying to chant the mantra ... enjoying the mantra itself here and now ... "may be" you are trying to "Complete the count"!

Reduce the quantity and improve upon quality... even once is great!

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information