Hinduism in Texas Textbooks

Namaste,

HAF's efforts bear fruit,
    http://www.indiawest.com/news/global...m_medium=email

Pranam.

Re: Hinduism in Texas Textbooks

Namaste Believer,

This is good news. Thanks for sharing.

I have more hope that the misconceptions surrounding Sanatana Dharma can be cleared up now with this announcement. If Texas can do it, I'm sure others can too!

Amazing. Such a project is undertaken in a not quite "anukUl" (favourable) circumstance, more towards "pratikul" (unfavourable) --- since it involves unschooling first, then re-schooling. The patience required is evident. This is why when finished successfully it is amazing.

I am also very happy to hear this. The high school students will benefit by having a correct understanding of these sections of Social Studies - Hinduism, Asia, India.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Vannakkam: This was quite the change from the California controversy, where very few changes presented by Hindus were actually accepted. But that discussion and debate surely had it's watchers, in other states like Texas and more. So the nature of social change is apparent. At first there is old-boy resistance, but sooner or later the swell switches. I think future state curricula changes are in order soon.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    This was quite the change from the California controversy, where very few changes presented by Hindus were actually accepted.
    Indeed the California experience was quite different few years back as the Indologists/Universalists from the US and India hijacked the debate and worked against the HAF efforts to correct the glaring mistakes in defining Hinduism for high school students. Hopefully with this success in Texas, they will try again to bring more changes to the California text books.

For the newer members unfamiliar with the California controversy,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor..._Hindu_history
    http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb...l/me-hindu27/2

Pranam.

Namaste

Happy and Sad.....

Sadness outweighs :-(

Forget about text books.

If somegroup can stop the Indian entertainment media from making a mockery of Hinduism, then it will be a better contribution than all the three major Achaaryas have contributed in the past.

Recently saw a comedy clip. The scene goes like this. A language professor says Raamaayanam has 6 Kaandams and the lead comedian refutes saying the pack of condom he bought the previous day had only 5 condoms.

Unfortunately such so called comedies or the comedy shows meant to hurt the sentiments of Hindus and Sanskrit lovers are aired non stop in two (premiere) regional TV networks.

Likewise one commercial brags about the quality of cement it manufacturers. Then a voice will be asking the man clad in civil engineer outfit "are you God"? The civil engineer would refutes saying I am Engineer.

This is in line one politician questioning whether Shree Raama is an Engineer during Sethu Samudram project controversy.

And bare in mind this is not restricted to few selected Indian states alone.

Indian Hindus can atleast stop watching such movies / commercials / Tele serial / Stand up comedies etc etc but that minimum level of awareness is missing both in literate and illiterate world.

A lead actress clad in skimpy outfit singing "Raghupathi Raaghva Raaja Raam" topped the charts.

Sorry for high jacking.

Felt it should be said in this thread to bring about an awareness that doesn't cost a thing.

I guess next time if an Indian Hindu happen to see offensive movies etc etc there should atleast be a single thought wave of awareness flowing out the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Indeed the California experience was quite different few years back as the Indologists/Universalists from the US and India hijacked the debate and worked against the HAF efforts to correct the glaring mistakes in defining Hinduism for high school students. Hopefully with this success in Texas, they will try again to bring more changes to the California text books.

For the newer members unfamiliar with the California controversy,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor..._Hindu_history
    http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb...l/me-hindu27/2

Pranam.
    g
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    If somegroup can stop the Indian entertainment media from making a mockery of Hinduism, then it will be a better contribution than all the three major Achaaryas have contributed in the past.
    Namaste, Anirudh:

In my honest opinion, there is no need to stop the Indian entertainment industry. The right to express ideas or views that may be Dharmically disheartening is still a Dharmic right, at the end of the day. However, I can safely say, as per my observations and research, that the Indian entertainment industry and related media outlets are some of the most virulent anti-Hindu and anti-Bharat outlets of the country. And the most interesting aspect of it all is the fact that such anti-Hindu productions end up making tons and tons of money. No country in the world, in my opinion, has profited so much from mocking its own people, country, heritage and culture, as has India. And the Indian public just eat it all up. The mere fact that over a billion people, people whom I personally believe should otherwise know better, are tamed, and then often amused and cajoled into partaking in such subversion; easily illustrates the severity of the anti-Hindu and anti-Bharat conundrum.

Recently saw a comedy clip. The scene goes like this. A language professor says Raamaayanam has 6 Kaandams and the lead comedian refutes saying the pack of condom he bought the previous day had only 5 condoms.

Unfortunately such so called comedies or the comedy shows meant to hurt the sentiments of Hindus and Sanskrit lovers are aired non stop in two (premiere) regional TV networks.
    Anirudh, if only you were able to state which regional TV networks they are, or in which states they operate, I would then be able to "connect the dots", so to speak. The reason I mention this is because of socio-cultural relevancy. Even though Bharatiya unity under the recognition of Dharmic heritage is the ideal, the reality is very discouraging: various regions are known to produce or harbor anti-Hindu sentiments. For example, the Bengal region has produced more anti-nationals, anti-Hindus, and pseudo-secularists than all regions of Bharat combined, followed closely by the Delhi intelligentsia (insert JNU and its penchant for producing anti-Hindu Marxists and pseudo-secularists; oh, and Delhi has a horrid rape-culture). Heck, stuff like this and this is their usual forte, publishing related material as if doing so gave them the moral high ground. It's either in their DNA or it's their own subject lessons which are so entrenched that reprogramming their subconsciousness through therapy would have less chance of succeeding than aliens invading and conquering the planet. But yes, there are other regions or areas as well. And if you were able to specifically state in which region(s) such skits are produced and then regionally aired, I would have a better understanding of the socio-cultural relevancy of the example you provided.

Namaste Sudas ji

I don't wish to see this as a state dependent problem. And this has nothing to do with the culture atleast Bharatiya culture.

This is a political problem, precisely because of Pseudo Secularism and vote bank appeasing strategy.

Rape culture is the gift of peaceful religion. What do you expect when the religion openly supports incest and the Kings followed that peaceful religion ruled Delhi and most part of Northern and central India for about 600 years?

Those two channels are owned by M K Karunanithi outfits. But you must remember all our Achaarya are from south.

Things have changed drastically only in the last one hundred years.

I will not derail this thread further.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information