Thread: Quality threads --- how to locate them easily

Quality threads --- how to locate them easily

Namaste Satay, Yajvan, Saidevo and EM all forum members,

This forum has gathered many threads/posts which are quite valuable from learning finer points of Hindu Dharma. As we know that the Hindu Dharma is so vast and has so many authoritative scriptures etc. available that it is very difficult to find appropriate references/clarifications when one needs. In this forum itself, there are many threads which have been created with a great deal of labour by our knowledgeable members like Yajvan, Saidevo, Atanu, Ganeshprasad, Brahman, Sambya etc. which can serve a great help to learners and seekers. However, it is very difficult to find a particular thread unless one goes to forum after forum and searches manually reading through the threads. This results in repeated discussions on the same issue which is non-productive and also many times, if a knowledgeable member is unavailable for discussion, the discussion doesn't prove to be successful.

Therefore, we may create a sub-Forum for locating important threads/posts based on judgement of the moderators or other knowledgeable members whom we may nominate. This forum can have threads for forums like "Vaishnava", "Advaita", "Uttara", Shaivism, ShAkta, etc. which would give links of threads/posts on various topics. It may not be easy, but if done, would serve the members very well.

I invite advice of other forum members on this issue.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: Quality threads --- how to locate them easily

namaste everyone.

Indexing quality threads manually is a laborious task for which Satay or any other member voluntering to help might find it difficult to devote time. The task is best automated programatically: perhaps using tags and tag clouds could help as in some other forums could help?
    http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/tags/
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Vannakkam Devotee and Saidevo: I too sometimes get a bit frustrated at the time it takes to find threads. I know some other forums have pop up bosex that list 'similar threads'. Its probably some search engine like device that looks for a few common or main words.

I just don't think the time required to index all the treads would be a valuable use of anyone's time. (Certainly I'm not stepping forward.) If there is some easy way to do it, that yes, its a great idea. Until then, I personally have no problem with regurgitation of the same material. Sometimes the second time around, as with reading scripture, new insights are gained.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

This conversation has come up before and has merit. The question is, does this forum 'engine' has the ability to do what we ask in terms of catagorization and lookup ? A SQL engine would fit the bill. Satay has explained this to me via a PM some months back. I look to him to explain to the HDF community what is or is not possible regarding this ability.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 03 March 2012 at 01:17 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

namaste everyone,
    The similar threads feature is currently turned on for HDF. If the software finds similar threads, they are displayed towards the bottom of the page.

I will research the tags feature that Sai suggested.
    satay

namaste Satay and everyone else.

Even if the 'tags' feature is implemented, the onus of 'tagging' a post is best left to the poster rather than to the moderator or a helper, since it is not possible to read each and every post to determine its value.

Once this feature can be implemented and is in place, all members who think their earlier posts could be of value might be prompted to open it and add a suitable tag (preferably from a given list that can be expanded by the moderator, rather than create own tags). Traditional topics might be prefixed appropriately with an abbr. (say TrAdvaita or such) so it is easy to locate.

Tags might be made mandatory for all future posts from a given date. It is possible that members might be over-enthusiastic about the quality and tradition of their posts initially, but then it should be okay eventually.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Dear Members,

1) To a good extend, the advanced search options can help sort the issue.

2) Depending on the validity of the question, moderators regularly help the seekers with suitable links.

3) An exclusive forum that maintains just the thoroughly effective and good threads' not only spoils the joy of reading, but also causes rest of the threads appear incomplete and ineffective.

Not being a regular member prevents me from commenting more on this, and I leave this to my seniors and dynamic regulars for a healthy discussion.

Love

Namaste Satay, Saidevo ji, EM and all,

I think Saidevo idea is the best, if this site can allow tagging of the posts.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information