Thread: 108

Pranams

I was not sure where to post this. Today is 10-08-2014, I have jumped on this date to extract the number 108. 10th of the 8th = 108. Nothing scientific in this but it has promoted me to explore the meaning of this scared number found in Veda and other traditions around the world. It could also be extended to 1008, 10-08.

I am kindly asking if other members could share their knowledge and understanding why this number is so sacred to the sanatana dharma tradition, or if there has been a thread reference that has discussed this before.

I have read some links but would like to know more from members
    http://www.salagram.net/108meaning.html

SANATANA DHARMA
    In a book by Khurana, the explanation closely mirrors the original Vedic justifications:
    A circle has 360 degrees, which when multiplied by 60 gives us 21,600 minutes in a circle. 60 comes from the 60 'ghatis' which Sanatana Dharmiks believe in. One ghati is equal to 24 minutes and 60 ghatis come to 24 hours.

One ghati is divided into 60 parts or 'palas'.
    So the 60 ghatis multiplied by 60 palasa comes to 3,600.
    This is further multiplied by 60 (becase a pala contains 60 vipalas) which gives us 21,600.
    Half of this is for the day, and the other half for the night. So, 21,600
    divided by 2 gives us 10,800. For practical purposes, we use 108. Using the
    number 108 helps us coordinate the rhythm of time and space & we remain in harmony with the spiritual powers of nature.

Ys

Md
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 10 August 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Re: 108

Namaste markandeya 108 dasa,

Thank you kindly for your informative posting; it coincides very well with my current quest for knowledge and place in understanding as such I have very much enjoyed reading. I have previously made a post about this wonderful number, but as yet have not managed to unearth it so I will make another short offering from the heart.

My thoughts upon the wonderful number that is 108:

108 is an abundant number, it is to my mind for this reason that śiva adores it. So what does that mean? well; in any system that intrinsically depends upon numbers (units of measure) for its functioning you will inevitably land upon an abundant number more often than any other; thus it has a most curios force of attraction.
    Let us consider the Surya and Chandra for a moment, we are attracted to both and indeed exist because of both. Chandra stirs the seas has a direct link to our cycle of life and death; by way of our minds in a complex cycle that gives life to our next generation, and of course our body's which tick to this clock, would not exist without the food grown by the agni of the Suryas rays; So, why the link to 108?
    The ratio between the diameter of, and the distance between the Surya and Mother Earth, is roughly the same as the ratio between the diameter of the Chandra and her distance from mother earth; thus they appear the same in size in our sky, it is this ratio that gives the possibility of the eclipse in all its guises ...
    The exact figure varies though its "tends" to center about this magical number of 108, one might well assume due to its abundant nature.

Of interest and dear to my heart: There are 108 foot steps in our night sky, 4 in each of 27 Nakṣatra; Chandra advances by one Nakṣatra's every day, this is of great importance to our spiritual or otherwise said, subjective lives.

Enough beauty to inspire one for an entire life time.

Kind regards.

Chandra = Moon
    Surya = Sun
    Last edited by Mana; 10 August 2014 at 12:36 PM.
    8i8

Pranams Mana,

Thank you for your input, very interesting indeed

If you find your original post, if it is not to much trouble please share. I have a friend who is a student of vedic astrology the following are his words.

"Markandeya Prabhu, the number 108 is known in Vedic astrology as the 108 navamsas or the harmonic of ninth which corresponds to the 9th house that represents dharma, guru, and spiritual life, among other designations. If the rasi or horoscope shows the 12 signs of the zodiac and the field of actions, the gross body, the navamsa chart, or the 9th harmonic, shows the subtle body, the subconscious.

This finding helps yogis to see that the subconscious or the subtle body is more important than the gross body. It is not that simple to just say "I am not the body but spiritual soul", because most of us are conditioned by the interactions of our body with society. The lagna or the ascendant sign determines the tanu, or the body, in which the soul incarnates. The tanu is just the first house in a horoscope and shows among other things the external personality, and the self. The second bhava or house, shows the family, bank assets, right eye, etc. The third house shows younger siblings, right ear, expression, communication, The fourth house shows the mother and the ninth the father, etc. This shows that all the 12th bhavas or houses in a horoscope have designations in which the soul identifies with the material energy and at the same time the real bhava can liberate the soul when connecting to the absolute with devotion. Each of the 12 houses or signs have 9 navamsas and this means 12 x 9 = 108. In other words, the 12 signs or houses, show the deha, the gross body, and the navamsas show the sukshma deha, or the subtle body, that is closer to the sidha deha, the perfect body. "

Ys

Md

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Each of the 12 houses or signs have 9 navamsas and this means 12 x 9 = 108. In other words, the 12 signs or houses, show the deha, the gross body, and the navamsas show the sukshma deha, or the subtle body, that is closer to the sidha deha, the perfect body. "
    Yes, this is one view ( of which I concur) - yet there is one more to consider. Note the 12 signs / houses are owned by the sun. So offering 12 x 9 is fine.
    Yet when it comes to the moon we consider the nakṣatra-s. There are 27 of them. Each nakṣatra is made up of 4 pada-s. We then have 27 x 9 = 108. Each nakṣatra and pada is rich in definition and in their indications.
    There are several posts in the jyotish folder that takes up this conversation. And within these 27 the nakṣatra-s , there are 3 groups of 9 ( as each is owned by a graha), we then have 3 x 9 = 27 x 4 = 108.

iti śivaṁ
    1. nakṣatra's - an asterism or constellation through which the moon passes some call lunar mansion ; 27 , later 28 , i.e. śraviṣṭhā or dhaniṣṭhā , śata-bhiṣaj , pūrva-bhadrapadā , uttara-bhadrapadā , revatī , aśvinī , bharaṇī , kṛttikā , rohiṇī or brāhmī , mṛga-śiras or āgrahāyaṇī , ārdrā , punarvasū or yāmakau , puṣya or sidhya , āśleṣā , maghā , pūrva-phalgunī , uttara-phalgunī , hasta , citrā , svātī , viśākhā or rādhā , anurādhā , jyeṣṭha , mūla , pūrvāṣāḍhā , uttarāṣāḍhā , śravaṇa ; abhijit ( is the 28th and has special qualities)
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 August 2014 at 09:34 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Md, Yajvan,

Thank you very much, and your friend also for his kind offering; it is whilst meditating upon these posts this morning, that I have just come to realize how the navamāsa is connected to the
    panchānga by way of the tithi, and jala tattva ...

How beautiful!

I am looking for that old post but, it still eludes me; I will link to it when I find it.

Thank you, kind regards.
    8i8

Vannakkam: Here's some more on 108. http://www.stephen-knapp.com/108_the...the_number.htm

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I remember an earlier thread in which 108 was discussed; one more
    interesting coincidence- the average distance between the ears is said
    to be 6 inches, while the average distance from the heart to the head is
    said to be 18 inches... 6 x 18 = 108, just as jnana and bhakti multiply each
    other's gifts when together

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Thread Information