Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holi

Holi

Pranam all
    Happy Holi, those who celebrate today and for those who will be celebrating tomorrow

May it bring colour in all our lives.

As a young lad Holi had to be one of the best period in my life, I can only look back and marvel at some of the wonderful time as I was growing up in Africa.

Unfortunately here in the west due to many circumstances, weather being one, it has lost it charm, but still it does not stop me thinking about it.

Hope it enhances faith for everyone attached to this wonderful festival, it gives us the past times of one of the great bhakta Prahlad Maharaj who under all trials and tribulations remained steadfast in his faith to Hari,
    Instead of Prahlad being consumed by fire on this day Holika who was immune from fire got destroyed.

Jai Prahlad Maharaj
    Jai Shree Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who also appeared on this day.
    Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Re: Holi

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam all
    Happy Holi, those who celebrate today and for those who will be celebrating tomorrow

May it bring colour in all our lives.

As a young lad Holi had to be one of the best period in my life, I can only look back and marvel at some of the wonderful time as I was growing up in Africa.

Unfortunately here in the west due to many circumstances, weather being one, it has lost it charm, but still it does not stop me thinking about it.

Hope it enhances faith for everyone attached to this wonderful festival, it gives us the past times of one of the great bhakta Prahlad Maharaj who under all trials and tribulations remained steadfast in his faith to Hari,
    Instead of Prahlad being consumed by fire on this day Holika who was immune from fire got destroyed.

Jai Prahlad Maharaj
    Jai Shree Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who also appeared on this day.
    Jai Shree Krishna
    Namaste Ganeshprasad ji,

Happy holi to you and to all. Holi is associated with several myths, viz. Krishna smearing Radha with colour, being jealous of her white complexion; burning of holika; and also kAmadahana -- subjugation of Lord of lust (Manmatha) by Lord Shiva, who then re-installs the Lord Manmatha as love in His own Heart (thus in every Heart).

Holi heralds the end of winter and the onset of spring. It is also a beneficial time for the sadhaka towards the conquest of base instincts. The Holi fire connotes the destruction of impure and evil and preservation of the pure and faithful.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 11 March 2009 at 02:44 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Pranam all

Happy and colorful Holi

Pyar ke rang se bharo pichkari,
    sneh se rang do duniya sari,
    ye rang na jane koi jaat na koi boli,
    aapko mubarak ho apno ki holi.

The literal meaning of the word 'Holi' is 'burning'. There are various legends to explain the meaning of this word, most prominent of all is the legend associated with demon king Hiranyakashyap.

Hiranyakashyap wanted everybody in his kingdom to worship only him but to his great disappointment, his son, Prahlad became an ardent devotee of Lord Naarayana. Hiaranyakashyap commanded his sister, Holika to enter a blazing fire with Prahlad in her lap. Holika had a boon whereby she could enter fire without any damage on herself. However, she was not aware that the boon worked only when she enters the fire alone. As a result she paid a price for her sinister desires, while Prahlad was saved by the grace of the god for his extreme devotion. The festival, therefore, celebrates the victory of good over evil and also the triumph of devotion.

Legend of Lord Krishna is also associated with play with colors as the Lord started the tradition of play with colours by applying colour on his beloved Radha and other gopis. Gradually, the play gained popularity with the people and became a tradition.

There are also a few other legends associated with the festival - like the legend of Shiva and Kaamadeva and those of Ogress Dhundhi and Pootana. All depict triumph of good over evil - lending a philosophy to the festival.

In some parts of India, specially in Bengal and Orissa, Holi Purnima is also celebrated as the birthday of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (A.D. 1486-1533).

Jai Goranga

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Vannakkam:

Have a great festival, all who celebrate.

Aum Namasivaya

KAnhA (Krshna) : RAdhe, Tumpar ka rang dAle ? Tum pehele se rangi rangili
    >>> "What colour can one throw on you, Radhe ? You are already full of colours"

RAdha : Prem par dAro rang, to jag ko (yah) deha dikhAyi re ...
    >>> "Throw colours on (transcendental) LOVE i.e. Prem, and the world will see my form"

"Holi ayi re...." >>> "Holi is here"

- Lyrics of a Holi song from a TV Serial KRISHNA by RAmAnanda SAgar

So Radha says she is Love personified. Since the embodied cannot see LOVE, superimposition of colour will make her/it visible.

Does that sound familiar, ring a bell ? AjAti, Vivarta Vaad, AdhyAs , Jagat MithyA ? Looks like Adi ShankarAcharya has a lot to do with Holi colour superimposition.

From another angle, thru' Holi colours, Krshna brings jivas together with a common bond, making their existence colourful. Hari brings colour into life.

Jai Shri Hari , Hari bol
    Wishing everyone a wonderful Holi and GauraPurnima
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Happy Holi to all the people of this forum!

Thanks Ganesh Prasad ji, Atanu, Smaranam and Grames !

I wish you all and all other members of this forum a very very Happy and colourful Holi !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Happy Holi everybody! May God bless you all!!

Happy Holi!

I wish I could throw some virtual colour at your guys and run...
    satay

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Happy Holi!

I wish I could throw some virtual colour at your guys and run...

Let that be the colour Meerabai desired, i will thank you for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKA25KXA0gU

Jai Prahlad maharaj
    Jai Shree Krishna

Thread Information