Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advaita-Smarta-Panchayatana-Nirguna Brahma SOME DOUBTS

Advaita-Smarta-Panchayatana-Nirguna Brahma SOME DOUBTS

Namaste,

I did not study Vedanta.
    I have some doubts regarding the Advaita tradition of Sri Adi Shankaracharya.

1.Advaita is an interpretation of Vedanta Scriptures.Smarta is a tradition of Hinduism based on the Vedas,Puranas and other texts.

How are both related?I think majority of Hindus are Smarta,am I right?
    But it could not imply that all Smartas study Advaita Vedanta.Are there Dvaita,Vishishta Advaita etc. following Smartas?

2.Smartas follow Panchayatana Puja,i.e. worship of five Devatas,namely Sri Vishnu,Sri Shiva,Sri Devi,Sri Ganesha and Sri Surya.I assume Advaita Vedanta is about of Nirguna Brahma.

According to Advaita,what is the relationship between formless Brahman and (personal)Devatas?

How to Advaita-Smartas reconcile Saguna worship with a Nirguna goal?

3.Most say that the Panchayatana system was started by Sri Shankaracharya and some claim that it existed before him and he popularized it.Are there any references in authoritative works of Sri Shankarachrya wherein he advocates Panchayatana(/Shanmata) system?

What did Srimad Acharya say about Bhakti,Murti Puja,Yajna etc?

Are there any references in the scriptures(Vedas,Puranas,Agamas,Tantras etc) that suggest Panchayatana Puja method?

4.I have seen that Smartas/Advaitins are very liberal.They do not have any hesitation to quote from works of other traditions,they praise the 63 Nayanmars of Shaiva Siddhanta,the other Bhakti saints etc.Most traditions never speak about great devotees of their same deity from other Sampradayas.Why are Smartas/Advaitins broad minded?Are they not concerned about diluting their own tradition?

5.And the most curious thing I've seen is the Smarta-Shakteya-Advaitin combination!

Smartas believe that the five deities are equal and forms of the same Brahman.
    Shakteyas believe that the Goddess is above all other deities and all devatas originate from Her.

There are Smartas who follow Panchayatana Puja and at the same time are Shaktas.Now,Shakta Upanishads,Puranas, Agamas,tantras & literature proclaim that Sri Devi is Supreme.How do Smarta Shaktas live with this plain contradicition?

I have been seeing these things for a long time and it appears to my ignorant eyes as opposing ideologies living together.I do not have any intention to find fault with any tradition,I just want to know things really work in the Smarta,Advaita circles.Pardon me if there are any mistakes.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Advaita-Smarta-Panchayatana-Nirguna Brahma SOME DOUBTS

Hello friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    [SIZE=3]Namaste,

2.Smartas follow Panchayatana Puja,i.e. worship of five Devatas,namely Sri Vishnu,Sri Shiva,Sri Devi,Sri Ganesha and Sri Surya.I assume Advaita Vedanta is about of Nirguna Brahma.

According to Advaita,what is the relationship between formless Brahman and (personal)Devatas?
    Only Brahman exists. God creates, maintains the universe, destroy it these concepts are, in Vedanta, called as 'Upachara' - upadhi. They're not real in absolute sense.

Scriptures say so. Either worship saguna to get nirguna or worship nirguna itself.

Saguna's and Nirguna's goal is same. So no need to reconcile.

3.Most say that the Panchayatana system was started by Sri Shankaracharya and some claim that it existed before him and he popularized it.Are there any references in authoritative works of Sri Shankarachrya wherein he advocates Panchayatana(/Shanmata) system?
    What people believe don't matter at all.

You'll get surprised by knowing that smartism is the only true dharma mentioned in Purana. Vishnu Purana mentions two dharma- Shrauta and Smarta. And obviously vishnu purana existed way before adishankar.

Another direct reference from Padma Purana. Shri Krishna himself is the instructor of smarta tradition.

Krishna says:

शैवा: सौरा: गणेशावैष्णवा: शक्तिपूजका: ।
    मामेवप्राप्नुवन्तिहवर्षांभसागरंयथा ।। पद्म पुराण उत्तरखण्ड ८८।४३।

"Like the rain water comes from all around and finally reaches to the ocean, similarly all those worshiping Shiva, Surya, Ganesha, Vishnu, Devi acquires me only."

Note that me here refers to nirguna Brahman as saguna form Vishnu is already mentioned.

Hari narayanA...
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 23 November 2014 at 02:37 AM.
    Hari On!

Pranams

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    or worship nirguna itself.
    Could you please elaborate and give the meaning of what is worship, how it is carried out and what is then the worship of nirguna.

Ys

Md

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Pranams

Could you please elaborate and give the meaning of what is worship, how it is carried out and what is then the worship of nirguna.

Ys

Md

Hello please read those verses wherein arjuna asks which seekers of moksha gets well versed in brahman.

Worship of nirguna means worship of knowledge, firm conviction in mind that all is Brahman. This I can say through my limited knowledge, others can shed some light on what's nirguna worship.

Thank you
    Hari On!

Pranams hinduism♥krishna Ji,

Thank you for your reply, let us see how the thread goes for a while, as I am interested to understand somethings.

Ys

Md

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Hello friend

Scriptures say so. Either worship saguna to get nirguna or worship nirguna itself.
    Namaste Ji,

I just heard a Anugraha Bhashanam of Jagadguru Sri Bharati Tirtha Shankaracharyaji.He spoke about the importance of Bhakti by quoting some verses of Sri Adi Shankaracharya and about Sri Kanappa Nayanmar.So,Saguna Bhakti worship is in fact an important aspect of Advaita Vedanta.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ji,

I just heard a Anugraha Bhashanam of Jagadguru Sri Bharati Tirtha Shankaracharyaji.He spoke about the importance of Bhakti by quoting some verses of Sri Adi Shankaracharya and about Sri Kanappa Nayanmar.So,Saguna Bhakti worship is in fact an important aspect of Advaita Vedanta.
    Yeah ..

Bhakti is Advaita. Advaita is bhakti. The deity to be worshipped shouldn't be considered different from the self. Vishnu himself is jiva. He's veiled himself by his own maya, yet he's just the onlooker and completely different from maya, untouched by her.

The self itself reveals itself. In gitA, Krishna says 'I situated as the self unveil the ignorance by the lamp of the knowledge' Vishnu is everything, jiva is beyond moksha and bondage.

Bhakti means in which devotee forgets everything including i ness and when I ness gets destroyed jivahood gets destroyed & only Vishnu remains, nothing else. Vishnu is none other than the subtle consciousness which is the onlooker of three states of mind, that's the atma and that should be worshipped.

Jiva is the bubble in the ocean. what's bubble? It's formed from water and air. Similarly jiva is formed from Brahman and prakruti. When bubble merges in the sea it remains distinctionless. Similarly when prakriti gets dissolved in Brahman, purusha also dissolves to from where it'd been born. That's the absolute goal achieved by saguna bhakti.

I just explained saguna bhakti according to purana and Upanishads
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 24 November 2014 at 09:59 PM.
    Hari On!

[size=3]Namaste,

I did not study Vedanta.
    I have some doubts regarding the Advaita tradition of Sri Adi Shankaracharya.

1.Advaita is an interpretation of Vedanta Scriptures. Smarta is a tradition of Hinduism based on the Vedas,Puranas and other texts.

How are both related?I think majority of Hindus are Smarta,am I right?
    But it could not imply that all Smartas study Advaita Vedanta.Are there Dvaita,Vishishta Advaita etc. following Smartas?
    Namaste Ram ji,

I am not a scholar, but will try to reply to the best of my ability.

smArta is a karma kANDa, based on shruti-s and smriti-s. Both do not eugolize only one deity, but many deities.

Mind is habituated of holding to names and forms. It goes without saying that we all feel only one body i.e. physical body. Our mind is active and is of extrovert nature. One cannot remain without doing work and remain idle even for a short period of time. Hence karma kANDa is necessary for inner purification. Later as gItA and upanishads says, one has to drop karma kANDa, the very karma that gave you inner purity and then move on to find the true nature of Self. This is where advaita starts. This is where IMO vedAnta starts.

If we connect it with ASrama dharma, then

(rough classification and pairing)
    1. brahmacArya = samhita - learning of mantra
    2. grihastha = brahmaNa - application in practical life (brahmaNa-s give direction to the mantra i.e. where they are to be applied)
    3. vAnaprastha = turning inwards = AraNyaka (beginning of philosophical part, the inner journey)
    4. sanyAsa = vedAnta. veda means knowledge, hence vedAnta means 'end of knowledge' or 'where knowledge ends'. In other words, 'after knowing which nothing more needs to be known'

So the beginning of our spiritual journey begins with karma and not directly with vedAnta.

Hence, smArta is the base upon which vedAnta (advaita) rests. But instead of worshipping God outside us, now we turn towards God who resides within us and that supreme reality is nirguNa Brahman. Brahman with help of mAyA manifests as rAma, Siva, etc.

Only one new vaiShNava sampradAya uddhava sampradAya now popularly known as 'Swaminarayan Sampraday' is a liberal sampradAya.

Please read SikshA patri

http://www.swaminarayan.nu/sampraday/shiksha.shtml

47. All shall realize that Narayan and the Mahesh are one, for as Brahman they have been described as one in the Vedas.

84. My followers shall regard the five deities named here with reverence - Vishnu, Shiva, Ganpati, Parvati and the Sun.

91. The followers, who are twice-born, shall perform as occasion requires, all sanskaras with (beginning from conception) daily ceremonial offerings to deities and the Shraddhas (obsequies) of the Pitris (ancestors) as prescribed by in their respective Gruhya Sutra according to their means.

92. Whenever an untoward action or sin is knowingly or unknowingly committed, all concerned shall make amends (as shown in the Shastras and by saintly persons) for it as best as they can.

93. The Vedas, the Vyas Sutras, the Puran, named Trimmed Bhagwat, Shri Vishnusahasranam;

94. Shri Bhagvad-Gita and Vidurniti all these (three) from Mahabharat, Shri Vasudev-mahatmya, contained in Vishnukhand of Skand Puran

95. The Yajnavalkya-Smruti from among the Dharma Shastras, these eight are My favorite Shastras.

110. When he is with Arjun He is known as Nar-Narayan and when He is with Balbhadra and others He is named and known accordingly.

111. Brahmin and other followers who are required on the account of their family tradition, to put on horizontal mark on their forehead and to wear on their neck a necklace prepared from Rudraksha beads shall not give up wearing them, even after becoming My followers.

(look for verses before 111 for varNa dharma)

There are other saints like GYAneSavara, tukArAma, eknAtha, tulsidAsa who were viShNu devotees, and were present during 11th - 15th century (when vaiShNava sampradAya-s were being established). they didnt not establish their own sampradAya, but only preferred one Lord for bhakti. tulsidAsa, GYAneSvara all consideed Siva-viShNu abheda.

Among the five, one is considered as the ISTA devatA, which is the main deity. for me it can be rAma, for my brother it can be viShNu, for my mother Sakti (SArdAmbA or ambA)

The deity is kept in center and rest four in 4 corners. These four help one to reach the central deity.

Any God, who is eulogized as Brahman is technically not a personal deity (from adviata POV). so when Adi Sankara says viShNu, he does not mean caturbhuja viShNu. Same applies to nArAyaNa too.

Please refer to this link for more details (it's a long article )

nirguNa brahman appears as saguNa brahman with the help of mAyA. Other than that there is no difference between them. Sri Ramakrishna explains that both ocean and ice are nothing but water. Ocean is in pure or say natural state, while ice is in solid state. Water which is originally formless, by the effect of cold freezes and ice cubes of definite shape are formed. Similarly, by cold of bhakti, formless appears in a particular form.

I think reading the link which I gave with help you clear your doubts.

When one becomes inwardly pure and mind is turned introvert, then the same God will make you shift to adviata i.e. nirguNa brahman and will ask you to renounce karma kANDa.

Will refer to other question later.

Hari OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 26 November 2014 at 02:03 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

Please refer to the following link

Veda and Vedanta : Are They Opposed to One Another?

The Vedas

Puranas

Please refer to

Why Differences among the Gods ?

The One as Many

[SIZE=3]

Are there any references in the scriptures(Vedas,Puranas,Agamas,Tantras etc) that suggest Panchayatana Puja method?
    Please refer - Sankara SampradhAyam. Also visit page 14

es, smArta dharma existed prior to Adi Sankara. Adi sankara had completed his commentaries on prasthAntraya at the age of 16. brahma sUtra is the topmost canonical text and hence it was the last one which was commented by Adi Sankara after the order and blessings of Lord Siva. In gItA bhASya, BG 2.10, Adi Sankara mentions the words 'smArta' and 'shruta'. Hence we can understand that this worship existed prior to him.

gaNeSa gItA, part of gaNeSa purANa mentioned pancayatna pUja. Sri nilakanThAcArya / srikAntAcArya (both are same person), a great SaivAcArya / SivAcArya has written a tikA on SrI gaNeSa gItA. Hence gaNeSa gItA is authentic.

This gItA is non-sectarian, as in chapter 1, verse 20, it describes all five devatA-s worshipped in pancayatna pUjA as confirmed by SrI nilakanTha in his tikA on sloka 1.20.

gaNeSa gItA says

Any yoga involving a fixed mind resting on Siva, Visnu, Shakti, Surya and on me (Ganesha), protector of men, is the right yoga in my opinion. 1.20
    I alone, having taken various forms, create, protect and destroy the world for my own play. 1.21

I alone am Maha Visnu, I alone am Sadasiva, I alone am the great Shakti, I alone am Aryaman, dear one. 1.22

What did Srimad Acharya say about Bhakti,Murti Puja,Yajna etc?
    Please visit - Adi Sankara - A Jagadguru

Adi Sankara bhagavadpAda established niguNa Brahman as the supreme reality. But not all are fit to quality ofr nirguNa upAsanA. Not all want moksha. For them Adi Sankara wrote many independent hymns on various deities.

Regarding yagna-s, in Taitriya Up 1.11 it is said, 'satyam vada, dharma cara'

Adi Shankara in his Gita BhASya says,

18.66 Sarva-dharman, all forms of rites and duties: Here the word dharma (righteousness) includes adharma (unrighteousness) as well; for, what is intended is total renunciation of all actions, as is enjoined in Vedic and Smrti texts like, 'One who has not desisted from bad actions' (Ka. 1.2.24), 'Give up religions and irreligion' (Mbh. Sa. 329.40), etc.

In Taittiriya Bhasya, our acharya explains the importance of duties in Taittiriya Upanishad 1/11.

In simple words, TAi. Up. 1/11 Shankara BhaSya says, that Follow and practice Truth, follow dharma, do your duties properly. Just by performing vedic rites once, do not consider that karma kand is over for you. Keep doing karma kand and keep following smriti-s which are moral and ethical codes for harmonious living. Practice non-violence, speak truth, speak without hypocrisy, do not have a motive to harm others.

for details, please visit http://www.advaita-vedanta.in/dispelling-doubts

and search for

Bhagavan in Gita BG 18.66 says

Please refer: Adi Sankara never rejected dvaita

4.I have seen that Smartas/Advaitins are very liberal.They do not have any hesitation to quote from works of other traditions,they praise the 63 Nayanmars of Shaiva Siddhanta,the other Bhakti saints etc.Most traditions never speak about great devotees of their same deity from other Sampradayas.Why are Smartas/Advaitins broad minded?Are they not concerned about diluting their own tradition?
    smArta believe that all forms of God are equal manifestation of the supreme Brahman. Eulogizing one deity is purely for developing one-pointedness.

As Kanchi Paramacharya has said that praising one deity does mean insulting or down grading another deity. When Siva worships Vishnu, Siva does not become inferior. It is just 'setting up scene'. pUrva bhumikA-s are not important. we do not cling to one personal deity. For us, Brahman is not a person, hence we do not hesitate in praising any form of God.

By chanting any name of God, it our mind will be purified, sattva guNa will increase. I used to chant rAma nAma and never thought about Siva. But one day my mother was playing devotional songs dedicated to Lord shiva. After listening to Sivamahimna stotra and Siva tANDava stotra, my heart was filled with bliss, then same bliss that filled my heart when I chanted rAma nAma or hanumAn nAma.

After referring to 'vishnu and caturbhuja vishnu' article will help you a lot.

Why are Smartas/Advaitins broad minded?Are they not concerned about diluting their own tradition?
    veda-s do not eulogize just one deity. We accept the whole of veda and indirect interpretation is done only when it is necessary. Hence when studying Sri Rudram, we do not think it is dedicated to the antaryAmin of rudra which according to some is nArAyaNa. We take viShNu for viShNu and rudra for rudra.

It is our tradition to worship many deities in karma kANDa and later shift to advaita and practice advaita sAdhanA of nirguNa brahman.

5.And the most curious thing I've seen is the Smarta-Shakteya-Advaitin combination!

Smartas believe that the five deities are equal and forms of the same Brahman.
    Shakteyas believe that the Goddess is above all other deities and all devatas originate from Her.

There are Smartas who follow Panchayatana Puja and at the same time are Shaktas.Now,Shakta Upanishads,Puranas, Agamas,tantras & literature proclaim that Sri Devi is Supreme.How do Smarta Shaktas live with this plain contradicition?
    Nope. Again, Please refer to my article - vishnu and caturbhuja vishnu

When any deity is eulogized as Supreme Brahman, then it is not a person.

In brief,

viShNu, as Deity of preservation, is 1/4th part of viShNu which is the creator of all three brahmA, viShNu and maheSa.

Hence when devi is eulogized as supreme, she technically represents nirguNa brahman and all others including rAma and kruShNa are under her sway.

viShNu purANa explains paramapada as,

1.9.55: That deva of which brahmA, viShNu [deity of preservation] and SivarUpa are indescribable powers (abhUtapUrva Sakti), that same deva is [bhagavAna] viShNu's parampada

Even the mantra Om namo nArAyaNa is not pointed to caturbhuja viShNu (again please refer to vishnu and caturbhuja vishnu article, sorry for playing the same record )

I have been seeing these things for a long time and it appears to my ignorant eyes as opposing ideologies living together.I do not have any intention to find fault with any tradition,I just want to know things really work in the Smarta,Advaita circles.Pardon me if there are any mistakes.
    You will be surprised that Adi Sankara also advocated Krishna to be the original source of all incarnation in 'prabodha sudhaka'.

We believe in nAhi nindA nyAya i.e. not to criticize others. If you still have patience and courage to read further, please refer to nAhi nindA nyAya

Incase things are not clear. Please do not raise too many points. Please present one issue at a time. I will try my best to give you answers. If I do not have , I will regret.

Most of the stuti-s, etc are taken as artha vAda (exaggeration) and are not to be taken literally. Everything is done to increase faith in one deity. Nothing more.

Hari OM

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste,

Some more interesting instructions from Shikshapatri

21. None shall ever speak or hear ill of deities, places of pilgrimage, Brahmins, chaste women, Sadhus and the Vedas.

23. When (my followers) on their way, come across temples of Shiv, and other deities, they shall bow down to them and have their darshan respectfully.

OM

Thread Information