Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Jyotish originally indian?

Re: Is Jyotish originally indian?

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Hi,

Well, there are bragging rights attached to the "first" discoverer of a law. There is a certain mystique and awe associated with the "pioneer" even though the same law may be rediscovered by someone else in a different setting. This is also the reason why academic journals these days print when a paper was first received by the journal and when it was subsequently revised/accepted.

Although Newton may have discovered calculus which is universal, that did not prevent a full-blown diplomatic and political firestorm between the Brits and the Germans who claimed that it was Leibniz (their citizen) who first and independently discovered the method.

India and Britain/New Zealand still disagree on who actually set foot first on the peak of the Mount Everest. The Brits' side claim it was Hillary, while the Indian side claims it was Tenzing.

Quick question. Do you know who led the second team to set foot on Mount Everest?
    Even speaking of 'the first', there seem to be so many, even in the case of Mt. Everest depending on individual and national perspectives! The first Spaniard, the first winter conquest, the first conquest without oxygen, the first woman, the first indian woman, the list of firsts seems endless!

For most of us who might not even have seen, let alone dream of conquesting Everest, we simply remain in awe of all these conquestors; ALL FIRST!

I salute all of these in modern (known) history, documented history!

Who really knows if there had been conquests even before these...? I salute those as well!!
    Love and Light and Reality,

Rohiniranjan

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Well, there are bragging rights attached to the "first" discoverer of a law. There is a certain mystique and awe associated with the "pioneer" even though the same law may be rediscovered by someone else in a different setting. This is also the reason why academic journals these days print when a paper was first received by the journal and when it was subsequently revised/accepted.

Although Newton may have discovered calculus which is universal, that did not prevent a full-blown diplomatic and political firestorm between the Brits and the Germans who claimed that it was Leibniz (their citizen) who first and independently discovered the method.

India and Britain/New Zealand still disagree on who actually set foot first on the peak of the Mount Everest. The Brits' side claim it was Hillary, while the Indian side claims it was Tenzing.

Quick question. Do you know who led the second team to set foot on Mount Everest?

I see your point. Yet to me, it is small potatoes ( not what you said, but the notion of taking ownership).
    The riff and disputes are of the mundane. At the end of the day no person can claim ownership. It is only the ego that is boasting of the ~discovery~. What is discovered is a great thing for society overall.
    Yet the small ego does not even know where its power to discriminate comes from; where the insight and ability to comprehend comes from. Yet it thinks it is the king, it is the thief.

So, am I not thankful for all the discoveries ? I thank these great men and women ; without them I could not type this post.
    Yet for me ( and perhaps me only) I know who the rightful owner is for all these wonders.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

To change the context of the question a little, let us say for the sake of perspective, one might ask:

"Is the light of the ravi originally Indian?"

After which the question transmutes somewhat, into rather a different form. A question that has often played upon my mind which is similar to your own; "Why did the Mayans also use use the symbol of the scorpion in their astrology for the same stars as the Occident and India".
    I believe that they did".

Kind regards.
    8i8

Dear friend ,
    If we have to consider the issue that way , I am afraid the answer would be different .

Namaste saswathy,

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend ,
    If we have to consider the issue that way , I am afraid the answer would be different .
    We have no obligation to perceive from any particular perspective, none at all; however, to be aware that we are doing so is altogether another matter; I think one of great importance to the discerning Jyotiṣa.

Kind regards.
    8i8

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Sounds like nonsense to me, but who am I to say?
    Namaste,

The thing is the west/western scholars will never give Vedic culture its rightful place in history. In order to do so that means they would have to admit to the falacy of their beliefs and accept that Vedic culture is truth. For example, I watched a documentary where they said the first university in the world was in the middle east!?!?!?!?!?! They forgot about Nalanda? It saddens me when our own people call our own scriptures "Mythology". Jyotish is Indian/Vedic. You want proof? Look at how in depth Vedic Astrology is and look at the how many different branches we have. If you were of Abrahamic religion and grew up in Europe would you want to give any eastern culture any credit if it meant falsifying your views?

-divnelight

Thread Information