Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Common is it?

How Common is it?

Vannakkam: So really how common really in animal sacrifice these days? Is there any way we can determine it? Here is a recent article from Hinduism Today. http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...hp?itemid=5262

From that, it seems Nepal and Bali are especially known for the practice. But then again, what do we mean by common? It's a pretty vague word. Once a year? Once a day? One temple in two? One temple in ten? One temple in a hundred?

I don't think there is any way of really knowing, and personal opinions tend to get skewed according to the locality where you live.

So I can say what I saw or heard ... In my two trips through TN to major temples, never once did I see it. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

In Mauritius, I was told by friends, (who would have a bias against it, because they have a pride in their culture, and of the island) that it is very rare now, although once common, and only occurs in a few Amman temples. So I'm not sure.

Certainly without a doubt I have never seen it personally. If I did come upon it, I'd walk away, because on principle, I'm firmly against it. A friend and I, when in Mauritius in 1986 did walk toward a temple that had done it, but once we say feathers we turned around and left.

I know of no North American temples that allow it. I've been told buy a Fijian friend its still done in some temples there.

For the record, I'm totally against it.

Thoughts? Further info?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: How Common is it?

Pranam

Thankfully not very common, I personally have not witness any sacrifice, sadly it happens so I have heard, I know it happens in Kali mandir in Kolkata I had seen the designated place where it take place. But I was most surprise that it happens even if it is just once a year at Jaganath Puri that is what I had heard.
    I must add it is not so done for Krishna but to one off the Devi

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste EM

West Bengal is sort of a home away from home, in particular Kolkata is my "second city" (well, there is also Vancouver Canada, London) but... in my "second home" I have witnessed goat sacrifice right in front of me at Kalighat Temple for example.

Once a Hindu girl made a cry or scream sound when they chopped the head off, but even though I feel sad for the very cute goat I would dare not say anything to the temple priests. I only offer rice bags.

Actually, there is a number of examples but I do not know the statistics. I love Kali Maa so I will go to Her temple as She is beloved in WB as is Durga and Devi.

Common? Well probably all the time at Kalighat .... Never seen such in Vancouver however!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

Actually, my wife lived in Guwahati Assam for a couple years, there is goat sacrifice at Guwahati's Kamakhya Temple.

There is also big bonfires sometimes, and Devi may be given a goat at that time when demons are burned.

Om Namah Sivaya

I have not directly witnessed it. But I frequently read at Dinamalar.com, one of TamilNadu's popular newspapers (also E-magazine) that here and there in TN, India, they did goat sacrifices... these practices are performed more in villages and to 'Grama devatas' and not necessarily deities such as Shiva or Vishnu. The villagers seem to offer animal sacrifices to Grama devatas like 'Karuppannasami', 'Madurai Veeran', etc.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

I think Animal sacrifice is not common in this generation. But it is still available in some place. I heard that Nepal has animal sacrifice in Kali temple but I don't know how much is that. But, some of them against animal sacrifice too. I heard in the news when last year so I have no source now. Sorry for that.

In Bali, I never heard it before about animal sacrifice. If it has, I think it's uncommon.

In Thailand, Ma Kali is quite popular as same as Maa Uma (Sri Mariamman). I heard some Thai who is not follow Sanatana Dharma but they worship the hindu deity offer a red meat instead animal sacrifice. In my perspective, that's not my way and I think that way is uncommon too. Perhaps, almost people (included me) against this way too. We never Animal sacrifice in Thailand now. Also in every Hindu temple has no this one. When they worship Maa Kali, they offer vegetarian food as same as other deities. The Hindu temple in Thailand is vegetarian area too.

Om Shanti,
    Om Sri Saraswatiya Namah

I shall now explain, what I heard years ago, a very convincing argument in favor of the animal sacrifice practice that took a firm hold in some of the mandirs. But then I should clarify firstly I don’t condone any of that. In the olden days, the poor were so malnourished that the then social scientists were alarmed and made appeals to fellow citizens for a long-term solution. As usual the acharyas have come up with a plan to feed the poor periodically with some protein rich diet, all by utilizing the existing adivasi traditions. People were promised a tad extra ‘karma credits’ if they donate animals to puja rituals for sacrifice, the underlying design was of course just to distribute meat to the assembled needy attending the annual ritual. The wise men knew as it is the Deity will not have any say in this. Thus started the animal sacrifice saga in the mandirs and, gradually over the ensuing centuries it got irreversibly established in certain regions. The silent DEITY remains a mere spectator in this act of benevolence. Namaste.

Animal sacrifices are very common in my state : Tamilnadu. But they are mainly for the village deities (Mariamman, etc) and not in agamic temples. People do this for their Kula Deiva or deity that is protecting the village on festival days etc. There are local deities that don't accept animal sacrifices too. There are deities to which people offer alcohol/tobacco etc as part of the offerings. These traditions are usually fixed by the deity speaking through the priest or someone else. So people are not really troubled.
    When Jayalalitha tried to ban these sacrifices in her last term, there was a huge backlash from the public and no one was impressed except a few PETA/vegetarian advocates.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    For the record, I'm totally against it.
    Namaste EM,

did animal sacrifices it's not correct?
    in what point that was not correct?

i just want to know your opinion about this sacrifice.

regard,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I know of no North American temples that allow it.
    Vanakkam,

How are you defining "North America"? At least until the 1980s, animal sacrifices occurred (once a year, perhaps) at a Kali mandir in Trinidad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqffxRk4B4
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Thread Information